Tacens Ventus Pro

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ZilentOoze

Tacens Ventus Pro

Post by ZilentOoze » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 am

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader. I'm having a P182 with the default TriCools, but they're too loud for me and my system is requiring more airflow. It was high time to find the perfect case fans for me. During my search and reading various reviews I was charmed by the Noctua fans' performance and noise ratio. I was considering in putting 2 P12's as intake and 2 S12's as exhaust (is that a good idea btw?). But then I stumbled on Tacens Ventus Pro fans. According to the Ventus Pro spec, the fan is even more silent and packs more airflow then the Noctua. And all of this when running at 1500 RPM! And they're 5 bucks cheaper then the Noctuas too.

Sounds great, but I need to find some reviews on this to be sure that is the case. And that's where the problem lies, there is no English review to be found on the Internet on these great case fans.

So, I'm wanting to ask if anyone actually purchased the Tacens Ventus Pro fans and if they really walk the talk?

PS: I want to post the Tacens link but apparently I can't because I need to have 3 posts...Sorry for the inconvenience

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:14 am

They certainly look interesting. I hope that someone would find info on them...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 am

Hello & welcome to SPCR,

16 blades, huh?

You can never go by the specs; especially when it comes from the manufacturer. They may be very quiet, but it is unlikely they are anywhere close to 12dBA at 12v. The support struts are only at a slight angle to the trailing edges of the blades. And having so many blades means they will get noisy at higher speeds, since the air can only move in behind each blade so quickly.

Also, it is no coincidence that most fans have an odd number of blades -- an even number means that the 2nd/even harmonics will be reinforced; which sounds worse than the 3rd/odd harmonics.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:57 am

Like some n00b in another forum said:

"...so is good or no good? please i need know before i bought! sorry my english"

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:45 am

I always got the impression odd-order harmonics were considered more troublesome. Not that I claim to have any kind of knowledge here, just a passing interest I've picked up from seeing adjectives such as "benign" applied to second order harmonic distortion in audio equipment. Or does this not apply to pseudo white noise sources such as fans? Do even order harmonics produce more noticeable "pure tone" noise?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 am

Hi,

It is my understanding that because even order harmonics reinforce the primary frequency, the tonal aspect will be stronger. Odd order harmonics are by definition, spread out over a lot of frequencies, and therefore sound more like white noise.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 am

Learn something new every day, cheers Neil!

ZilentOoze

Post by ZilentOoze » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:58 am

Thanks, Neil. Your reply was most informative and useful to me. I thought these fans' specs were exaggerated. Hopefully they get included in some reviews or a fan roundup, as none are actually available in English on the net.

This means i'll go for 4 Noctua fans for my P182 fan setup. Should i go for 4 P12's, 4 S12s or 2 P12 as front intake fans and 2 S12s as rear exhausts? I'm trying to have great airflow through my case by making it as silent possible. Any input is much appreciated.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:38 am

Hi,

I would say that you should also consider the Scythe Slipstream and S-Flex in addition to the Noctua fans.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 am

Hello and welcome,

This is my first post on this forum. I appreciate all the hard work you guys have been doing. It's good to find somebody who shares your hobby :)

I registered to post my opinion about Tacens fans. I own a Tacens Algeo mid-tower chassis. It has three fans: 13,5 14 and 25cm on its side. They aren't the Ventus variety, but somewhat similar Aura Pro. At first I was very pleased with them. Unfortunately, they proved to age quickly and loudly. The bearings (probably ball bearings) developed rattle after about 15 months and are definitely louder that they used to. Mind you, the 13,5 fan never pushed much air.

I ordered a Scythe Slipstream 120mm 1200RPM to replace the 13,5cm fan and what a difference! The build quality is ages ahead and the amount of airflow it generates surpasses my expectations. It is also much quieter than Tacens fans ever were.

My advice would be to go with a Slipstream. It is an entirely different league.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 pm

Welcome to SPCR,

That is a great reference point, and it is good to know where these fans "fit in".

Celsi

Post by Celsi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:16 am

Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well. I am a 39 y.o. silent-watercooled-highend-gaming-PC freak from Germany and a member in various german forums - actually leading one of them :)

I am currently constructing a new machine, based on a HTPC case and a core i7 920 / ASUS Rampage II GENE (micro-ATX).
It will be cooled by a Mora 2 Pro radiator (9x120mm) on top of the case roof, and I am still looking for very, very silent fans for the radiator.

Actually that is how I found this forum: I looked for the term 'TACENS VENTUS' with Google and hoped to find some professional tests for this exotic fan.

Currently I am using Noiseblocker Multimframe S2, they are very silent and moving a good volume of air, but their strange frame construction makes them not the best choice for a radiator and the price of EUR 17 - 21 is very expensive.

About Scythe fans I can say that the S-Flex series is not quite cheap, but has a very high quality standard and is quite silent. But on radiators they sometime start humming, because they don't like to fight against the air restriction of the radi, that's why I do not use them.

The Scythe Slipstream (we call them 'Slippies' :) ) were disappointing: A few months ago I tested a bunch of them: They made nearly now bearing noise, no other noise except for the air flushing through the blades. And it was A LOT of air, I really liked those fan, @ 450-500 rpm they were very silent but still effective (on radiator).
A few weeks ago I bought 10 of them, thinking that product quality was still the same, but i wasn't. Most of them were making bearing noises, clicking or scratching sounds - terrible. I dumped all 10 of them and went to buy the Multiframes.

Anybody knows a link to a decent test report for the TACENS VENTUS, I really would like to learn more about them ?

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,
Celsi