Nexus 80mm Basic makes ODD noise

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LodeHacker

Nexus 80mm Basic makes ODD noise

Post by LodeHacker » Mon May 18, 2009 10:23 am

So today I got a new active GPU cooler and after installing I noticed VERY odd noise coming from the system and it is loud enough to be noticeable. I first thought it was the GPU cooler's fan, but shutting it down didn't help. I thought it might be the PSU having a loose screw or something that made this noise, because this noise I am talking about is like a "vibrating screw on a hard plate". So after trial and error and after 5 hours I found out it was my trusty Nexus 80mm Basic fan.

I BOUGHT THIS FAN LIKE NOT EVEN 6 MONTHS AGO! Sure there's warranty but meh I need to pay for shipping so might as well just buy a replacement fan. None of the other four Nexus fans make this noise (2 in front, 2 at the back and 1 at the top). The Nexus was undervolted since it was installed in my system and I read undervolting can cause this type of "grinding" or "ticking". Whatever you call it just tell me how do I get rid of this sound, I am ready to take a hammer and crush the fan if necessary so mad I am!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi,

You may be able to oil/lubricate it?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

You may be able to oil/lubricate it?
Me = total n00b. Guide / tips on how to do and what oil / lubricant specifically to use? Thanks.

yukon

Post by yukon » Mon May 18, 2009 4:16 pm

A drop or two of a very light oil (eg. silicone) on the bearing can help. It's usually behind a sticker.

Myself, I would replace the fan. Ball bearing fans get loud when they're about to fail. Yours may have a manufacturing defect. On a computer that relies on quiet fans, a failed fan can lead to overheating, and I would be afraid that the fan would fail. I don't know how much heat your computer generates, but the five fans likely eliminate the chance for overheating.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 am

I think I killed the Nexus. Disassembled the fan and got to the bearing motor / whatever the thing is and yes I noticed there was a bit of lubricant off so I put in baby oil 2 drops, assembled the fan back in and now it won't turn on anymore. So I guess either I didn't assemble the fan correctly or the baby oil made unwanted magic.

Ok so now this is a totally useless fan, should I keep with Nexus or do you think this is a sign of needing to reconsider the favorite? I've had lots of Nexus in the past and none had this problem; I've owned maybe more than twelve 80mm Basic's, five 120mm Basic's, a single 92mm Basic and the occasional 80mm PWM.