Opinions on Noctua NF-P12 and NF-R8 vs. Arctic Cooling fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tropical_nut

Opinions on Noctua NF-P12 and NF-R8 vs. Arctic Cooling fans

Post by tropical_nut » Tue May 26, 2009 2:26 am

This is a continuation of another thread I started here:
viewtopic.php?t=53588

I have taken Silverstone off my short list of case & cpu fans, so I decided to start a new thread.
Arctic Cooling was at the top of my shopping list, but I have hesitant to order those because I don't want to have to make this purchase twice.
After a lot of searching I have found a relatively new online site in the country I live which surprisingly has Noctua fan products.
That site does not have the NF-S12B FLX yet, but it does have the Noctua NF-P12 and NF-R8.

Reading the reviews and threads here I get the impression that the NF-P12 would be superior to the Arctic Cooling AF12025PWM as a case fan. I want two 120mm case fans one for intake, one for exhaust.
Is this viewpoint correct?

But I also need an 80mm fan to replace my old socket A heatsink fan (a six-year old Coolermaster.) I did a search of SPCR but could find little info and few opinions on the NF-R8 as a heatsink fan.
How would the NF-R8 compare to the Arctic Cooling AF8025PWM in this regard?
Thanks for any input, views, opinions you may have.
The price of the Noctua fans is about 50% higher than the AC fans.

The online site I am referring to is here BTW:
http://www.somuchmore.biz/products/?status=1

tropical_nut

Post by tropical_nut » Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 pm

O.K., 70 views but no response so I will ask a new question in this regard:

Are the Noctua NF-R8 and Arctic Cooling AF8025PWM much louder than the three fans on the SPCR 80mm "Recommended Fan List"?

It seems most of the interest these days is with the 120mm and larger size fans--it is difficult to get any current info on the state of relatively current 80mm fans.

Please remember it is very difficult to find any of the recommended fans where I live.

rellaghs

Post by rellaghs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 am

I think you're better of with noctua. It's top quality and you know they're good. Since it's for your CPU make sure your MB has 3pin DC control for 3-pin fans.

I had my system all on Arctic Cooling PWM fans, they're not noisy but don't have the airflow that better fans have, such as Noctua.

My opinion is, go for Noctua if your board can control the speed of non PWM fans. If not, AC is not a bad choice.

tropical_nut

Post by tropical_nut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm

rellaghs wrote: My opinion is, go for Noctua if your board can control the speed of non PWM fans. If not, AC is not a bad choice.
rellaghs, thanks for your input.

After reading several more SPCR threads on the Noctua P12, I got the impression that many members here were very disappointed in the P12, value-wise, when compared to many other fans.
As for the NF-R8, I simply couldn't find any halfway-reliable test results to compare with other 80mm fans. 80mm fan testing seems to be out of fashion already. Most all of my search results on the NF-R8 ended up in someone's signature.

Where I am located the P12 is about 50% more expensive than the AC AF12025PWM. Both seem to have similar accessories and warranty period.
So, I have ordered 2 of the AC 120mm fans and 1 AC 80mm PWM fan but have not yet received them. I figured I would have slightly less chance of being disappointed in the AC fans as an investment.

My mainboard is old, but it does support controlling the fans via the 3-pin headers.

rellaghs

Post by rellaghs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm

My previous message was regarding the 80mm fan choice. As for the 120mm, Noctua NF-P12 its not made to be a case fan, it is made for heatsinks and psu's or when you need static pressure (google it at the official noctua site and on reviews).
In a nutshell, you made a good choice as far for value, AC might as well be better case fans than nf-p12.