Help! Need advice on case fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Moondoggy

Help! Need advice on case fan

Post by Moondoggy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm a newbie when it comes to system building and I just got my first case for my first system. The reviews of the case on the web indicated that the case came with 1, 120mm fan but the case I ordered turned out to not include any fans (my bad). The case manufacturer makes case fans and one of them will run $20 and the fan noise is rated at 20.1-33.2 dB(a).

So...I need at least 1 if not 2 fans to cool my system which is going to include a core I7 CPU and I'm freaked out about noise and want to keep the system as silent as possible while still maintaining a cool system. Since I have to now buy a case fan should I go with the thermo-controlled, double ball-bearing ULTRA ULT40144 fan from the case manufacturer or buy something else? If something else, what should it be to maximize silent operations while still cooling my system? Also should I start out with a single fan for the rear of the case or get 2, one for the front and another for the back?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

tropical_nut

Post by tropical_nut » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 am

Moondoggy,
Welcome to the SPCR forum.
Ultra is not one of the highly regarded brands here, and for $20 you should be able to find something with better performance.

If you haven't done so yet you should probably read the following review of 120mm fans:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

It's a bit dated, but still has a lot of good background information on fan's noise.

A more recent article is here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... undup.html

But as to a fan's noise level, take all such outside reviews with a grain of salt. Don't trust any manufacturer's noise ratings.
I am using Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fans and satisfied, but there are many other good choices out there.
I think specific Scythe, Nexus, and Noctua models are most highly regarded here.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:56 am