Fans setup for a P183?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chompy

Fans setup for a P183?

Post by chompy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:49 am

Hi,

I’m building a new system: Core i7 920 (moderately overclocked) cooled with a Prolimatech Megahalems, 6MB of RAM and an Ati HD5870 (or HD5850, I haven’t decided yet) mounted in a P183 (with Antec CP 850 power supply).

I know that this system isn’t going to be silent, but I want it to be as quiet as possible, so my idea is replace the two P183’s tricool fans with three Scythe Slipstreams (1200 RPM): one as rear exhaust, one for the cooler and the last as intake fan in the upper chamber (I don’t know what would be better: leave the top fan unplugged, remove it, or remove + cover it’s grill).

I’ve read that the P182 is better suited for negative pressure, and the P183 despite the additional airflow granted by its additional intakes it’s still designed for negative pressure, doesn’t it? So my question is, using this three identical Slipstreams is a good setup for a P183 with gamer hardware?

Greetings

EDIT: Now I can also buy at my local store Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150 RPM... Would you use any of these instead of Slipstreams?

audiojar

Post by audiojar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm

The gentle typhoons are also great.

The 183 just has more open intakes on the front, the general design is the same as the 182. Personally, I would try it with out any intake fans. Many block the top and just use the back exhaust, but obviously it's designed to use the top exhaust too.

I heard of people putting an intake in the middle, behind the drive cage area (the actual drives are usually below), to blow directly on a hot part of the MB or a graphics card.

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:35 pm

I have a P183 with a Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm in the middle front slot; I took the drive cage out to clear the video card and because I didn't need it. I have a Noctua NH-C12P downdraft CPU cooler with the Noctua-supplied fan, and a Scythe S-Flex SFF21G as rear exhaust (yes, I was on a fan quest). I have one of the Antec TriCools that came with the case redeployed at the low speed in the bottom front position, cooling the hard drives.

CPU is a Core i7/920, not OC'd yet. GPU is a NVidia GTX275 with stock cooling.

I could hear too much mechanical goings-on inside the case, so I covered the top vent.

Everything stays cool, but my goal of pressurizing this thing is probably not going to be realized. The bottom fan is in a segregated chamber which includes the power supply, and thus does not contribute appreciably to overall case airflow (hence my using the TriCool on low). The Gentle Typhoon is turned all the way up (only a slight whoosh, impressive), and the rear S-Flex is adjusted down just to the point I can't hear it. This (along with the GPU's fan) results in approximately neutral case pressure; I can't detect air flowing in or out at the card slots or the front drive bays with my toilet paper anemometer :)

Since that balance would be tenuous (for instance, if the GPU fan cranked up while gaming or something), I thought about reopening the top vent and installing a fan blowing into the case there. But then I'm opening a hole for sound to escape again, and I would have to rig a filter for it, as well as soft mounting for the fan (because the case only includes screw holes for one of the fan, tabs for the other). It is also very close to that Noctua heatsink, and I don't know if blowing into the case would adversely affect the CPU's airflow.

So you are probably right, it is really set up for negative/draw cooling rather than pressurization. It's a nice case, and has good deadening in the panels, but in hindsight I think I would have been better off with something like a Three Hundred.

I haven't tried a Slipstream, but I'm not a fan of sleeve bearings, and that is what the Slipstreams have. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've had too many failures with them.

Wayne Redpath

Post by Wayne Redpath » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:48 pm

The challenge is to get the system reasonably quiet and non-annoying at idle during the quiet evenings. Perhaps something like this:

Lower Chamber:
=> If the Power Supply doesn't move enough air through the chamber then perhaps try a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm.

Upper Chamber:
=> The top fan position blocked off.
=> A Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm on the CPU heatsink connected to the Chassis fan connector.
=> Scythe Kama PWM Fan 120mm 300-1200rpm Case Fan mounted on the rear chassis fan location connected to the CPU fan connector.
=> If the CPU and/or GPU temps need a little help then perhaps try a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150rpm on the front position.

Isn't the Intel Turbo Boost Technology automatic self-overclocking feature of the I-7 enough?

Have fun.

ebug

Post by ebug » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

I just finished my P183 build last night. I mounted Corsair H50 and replace the stock corsair fan with Noctua-N12. I attached the Noctua fan to H50 radiator and mount the assemby using the provided noctua silicone mounts. That was the most difficult task I did. Trying to pull the silicone. But it was so worth it. Big difference in terms of silence! I replace the top stock fan with Scythe S-Flex G. The speed is monitored by Aerocool Easywatch at 1200rpm. I put another Noctua N12 at the mid-front chamber to draw air in. It is also monitored by Easywatch running at 1200rpm. I am thinking of putting a damping material around the top fan. Right now it is directly screwed on the case unlike the noctuas with silicone mounts. I am so satisfied!

ebug

Post by ebug » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am

This is my system for a silent P183:
P183
Intel i7 920
Corsair 6GB 1600
Asrock X58 Extreme
Gigabyte GTX260 OC
Corsair H50 watercooling+Noctua-N12 (removed stock fan)
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
Antec CP850 PSU
Sony 24X DVD drive
Scythe S-Flex G (replaced top fan)
Noctua-N12 (at mid-front chamber)
Aerocool easywatch

I used the provided silicone mounts for Noctuas.