Initial Impressions: S-flex 92mm 1000 RPM variant

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Initial Impressions: S-flex 92mm 1000 RPM variant

Post by thejamppa » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:54 am

Hello everyone!

I got new fans and I decided to give small impressions of them. Fan model is Scythe SFF92A i.e. Scythe S-flex 92mm 1000 rpm (-/+150 rpm ) variant. For those who do not know, S-flex is Sony Fluid Dynamic Bearing. Compearing to sleeve bearings 30,000 and Ball bearings 50,000 and Dual Ball bearings 100,000 MBTF S-flex offers 150,000 hours MBTF

This is rough impression: Fan frames are solid, non-bristle plastic. Corners are open and fan connector regular 3 pin fan and cord wires glued together like Scythe Slipstreams.

Fans have slight vibration when they're on. Nothing serious. This is pretty common with ballbearing like fans. At up close at 12v there could be heard very slight motor noise but it was generally without tonalities and very smooth. Fan became quickly inaudiable when dialing down voltages.

A-variant with 1000 RPM's does not start reliably at 5v. But slow speed fans rarely do.

Compearing Nexus Real Silent 1500 rpm variant Scythe does push little less air (by scientific hand test ^^ ) but is also louder. Scythe S-flex pushes nice amount air when considering RPM's.

92mm Scythe S-flex offers excellent bearings, long livety with good CFM's and good static pressure. My samples had slight vibration but so did in Scythe Gentle Typhoons and 120mm S-flex.

1000 RPM variant is barely audiable at night when placed in case. Dialing down the RPM's makes fan quickly inaudiable while securing air flow. Perfect choice for people who want good quality, quiet fan and cannot fit 120mm fan for some reason. Good choice for Solo's front if you ever need silent fans in Solo's front to calm down your mind (if you worry temperatures or have hot hard drives), cool down your hardware or both.

1000 RPM variant is slowest of the 92mm S-flexes. Next model is 1500 rpm and places it directly against Nexus 92mm Real Silent.

Conclusion

92mm fans are pretty rare. Quality 92mm fans are even more rare. Scythe S-flex 92mm series is one the best 92mm fans out there. With 4 variants starting to 1000 rpm quarantee's that anyone can pick up version suitable them. Excellent bearings with good Scythe Quality. This fan seems to be a winner in 92mm fans. I'll post more when I have made some more observations. This is initial report.

Edit:
There seemed to be slight howl in the fans when you manually dialed down the rpm's in high impedance setting (Solo's front intake with foam and dust filter's on ) at 12v the howl was not present and not at the (estimation range 5-6v. I noticed similar noise in Scythe Gentle Typhoon model.
If seeing is believing, how can blind person believe in anything?
Maturity is just not experience in life but also ability to make compromises.

Sooty

Re: Initial Impressions: S-flex 92mm 1000 RPM variant

Post by Sooty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the review.
thejamppa wrote: Compearing Nexus Real Silent 1500 rpm variant Scythe does push little less air (by scientific hand test ^^ ) but is also louder. Scythe S-flex pushes nice amount air when considering RPM's.
You're saying the 1000rpm Scythe is louder than the 1500rpm Nexus?