Asus Q-fan control problem

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rivet

Asus Q-fan control problem

Post by rivet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Hello, guys,

For any one who is familiar with Asus MB Q-fan control, do you know how it works. Here is my problem, I am trying to enable bios Asus Q-fan control so that the fan can be quiet at idle and increase rpm on load.

However, the problem is the fan seems to stay very low and never crank up even my core temperature is higher than 65 degree. It is just like under volt the fan permanently. Also, my MB (Asus Commando) also have an optional fan Q-fan control but have the same problem. The problem makes the Q-fan function useless to me.

I suspect it is because Asus set the Q-fan control based on CPU temperature instead of the core temperature, my CPU temp is generally 15 C lower than core temperature, so even if my core temp goes to nearly 70 degree, the MB thinks there is no need to speed the fan up?

Thanks.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Which fan header are you using? Some boards only have dynamic fan control on the CPU fan header, while the rest will simply undervolt fans connected to them to 5V-7V and leave them there.

Motherboard fan control is generally designed to react to their CPU temperature sensor. If you're unhappy with it, try SpeedFan.

rivet

Post by rivet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The CPU fan on the Xigmatech cooler use the 4-pin header, the exhaust fan which is connect to the "optional fan" on the MB uses 3-pin header.

I'v tried speedfan and set it up. It works great first for months, then suddenly, it will show some detection error in the text and no longer be able to automatically control the speed, but I can still manually adjust the fan speed in speedfan .