Speed fan error in controlling fan speed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rivet

Speed fan error in controlling fan speed

Post by rivet » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 am

Hi,

My speedfan used to be fine automatically control CPU and exhaust fan speed according to CPU core temprature. However, one day, it shows some "collision" error during detection and can no longer automatically control the fan speed anymore. But if I manually adjust the speed, it sill works. Below is the text speedfan shows when startup, does any one know why this happened and what can I do about it or I should just give up using speedfan's auto fan control function?

Thanks very much
rivet

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801HB ICH8 SMBUS at $0400
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83627DHG
Winbond W83627DHG (ID=$C1) found on ISA at $290
Scanning Intel SMBus at $0400...
Winbond W83791D (ID=$71) found on SMBus at $2D
SMBus msg : SMB Error $2F : COLLISION (48 )
Address $2F appears to be WRITE ONLY...
Found Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
End of detection
Loaded 0 events

trident

Post by trident » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm

rivet

Your best source for troubleshooting info would be the support section of the SpeedFan Home Page. On the face of it, could be that a device is accessing the SMBus at the same time that SpeedFan is loading. Try disabling SMbus access for SpeedFan. Select the "Configure" button, open the "Options" Tab. Remove the check for "Let SpeedFan access sensors through SMBus". Then add the "/nosmbscan" command line switch to the shortcut that launches SpeedFan. If you installed SpeedFan in in a folder named "SpeedFan" in the "Program Files" directory, this is the sintax ["C:/Program Files/SpeedFan/speedfan.exe" /nosmbscan]. That is the path statement in quotes followed by a space, then the /nosmbscan switch. SpeedFan may be able to control the Winbond W83627DHG through the ISA bus alone.
_______
trident