40mm 60mm 5v fan recommendations

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markyb

40mm 60mm 5v fan recommendations

Post by markyb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:12 am

Had a search through and really couldnt find anything as it seems to be more 120mm fans talked about

Ive made my own laptop stand cooler which so far is alot quieter then the Zalman one i bought a few weeks ago.
This consists of a cheap ebay laptop stand which has been modified and stregthened alittle to take a Scythe 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan, SY1225SL12M which running 12v is quieter and pushs more air then my Asaka Apache 120mm's.. but wont work at 5v controlled with a Zalman Fanmate2.. :(

Anyway.. the Scythe is positioned in the middle cooling the battery and other components, while i want a 40 or 60mm fan directly underneath the CPU slot to cool the CPU so that the OEM fan doesnt come in *and if it does not for long* Not too bothered on silent operation when im out and about but the laptop doesnt get out much so its primarily on my desk.

Any recommendations? Ive been told i could undervolt the OEM fan but wouldnt know where to start or if it would operate at 5/7v's

Laptop is a Acer Aspire 5735 if that is of any use..

ces

Re: 40mm 60mm 5v fan recommendations

Post by ces » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:54 am

markyb wrote: a Scythe 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan, SY1225SL12M which running 12v is quieter and pushs more air then my Asaka Apache 120mm's..
Please explain the comparison a bit more. Is this in free air? Do you think it would be different under back pressure?

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 am

markyb wrote:Anyway.. the Scythe is positioned in the middle cooling the battery and other components, while i want a 40 or 60mm fan directly underneath the CPU slot to cool the CPU so that the OEM fan doesnt come in *and if it does not for long* Not too bothered on silent operation when im out and about but the laptop doesnt get out much so its primarily on my desk.

Any recommendations? Ive been told i could undervolt the OEM fan but wouldnt know where to start or if it would operate at 5/7v's
Not certain I understand your needs. But take a look at the over priced but high quality noiseblocker 40mm and 60mm fans.

Also the masscool 60mm sleeve bearing fans from newegg are cheap and seem to handle 5 volts well. They seem pretty high quality actually. The shipping though is probably more than the cost of the fan.

markyb

Post by markyb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am

thanks for your post..

Sorry i probably didnt make my case very open did i.. i'll now hopefully fill you in abit more.. :lol:
At first my needs was to buy a laptop cooler to stop the OEM CPU fan from coming in a spoiling my quiet environment when just sat surfing the internet. So that was bought.. Needless to say it wasnt very silent.. So sold it *at a loss :( * so i then started to research about using a fan via a 5v usb lead.. So i have the scythe 120mm under the cheap stand blowing a small amount of air on the under side of the laptop which may or may not do much in the way of lowering any temps.. but the main thing is the OEM CPU fan not coming on.. So my aim is to position the 5v usb powered 40 or 60mm fan directly underneath the slots to blow cooler air in all the time rather when the CPU gets above a certain temp like the OEM one does. Hopefully cooling the CPU enough when in normal use. Or at least reducing it.

the laptop is up in free air about 10 degrees towards me which i have found it better to type and also rest my hands on the laptop case.

markyb

Post by markyb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 pm

ces wrote:
Not certain I understand your needs. But take a look at the over priced but high quality noiseblocker 40mm and 60mm fans.

Also the masscool 60mm sleeve bearing fans from newegg are cheap and seem to handle 5 volts well. They seem pretty high quality actually. The shipping though is probably more than the cost of the fan.
Had a quick flick thro the noiseblockers own site which state that these fans operating voltage are 10-12.. start up 9v.. so these wont be any good..

The Masscool ones.. had a look on the newegg site and seem to be 6v operating but also prone to failing regular altho swings and roundabouts.. :cry:

Anymore recommendations from anyone? All really appriecated

markyb

Post by markyb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:31 pm

further searching has come up with Acoustifan's being able to operate at 5v altho for a 60mm dustproof variant.. £15 :? :shock: hoping i can get a similar product but abit cheaper then that! :)

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

markyb wrote:Had a quick flick thro the noiseblockers own site which state that these fans operating voltage are 10-12.. start up 9v.. so these wont be any good..
Make sure you are looking at both the volts and the rpm.

While every fan is unique, 1200rpm at 12 volts can convert to 700-800 rpm at 5 v - about a 40% drop.

Taking the same fan down to 9v can drop the speed to 100 rpms, about a 15% drop.

Make some approximate adjustments like these. I suspect a small Noiseblocker at 9v probably compares well against most other small fans at 5v.

As long as you are dealing with good brands, the rpms are probably a fair predictor of relative noise.

Please let us all know what you find.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:46 pm

oops. I see the 5 v is a requirement.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 am

markyb wrote: a Scythe 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan, SY1225SL12M which running 12v is quieter and pushs more air then my Asaka Apache 120mm's.
Is that a "hand in front of fan" test in free air? I would expect that Scythe to win that contest.

What about as you bring you hand within a quarter inch of each fan presenting them with a high impedance situation. There I would expect the Apache to out perform the Scythe.

Would you try that second test and see what you find? And let us know if that makes a difference?

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 am

markyb wrote:Ive made my own laptop stand cooler which so far is alot quieter then the Zalman one i bought a few weeks ago.
This consists of a cheap ebay laptop stand which has been modified and stregthened alittle to take a Scythe 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan, SY1225SL12M which running 12v is quieter and pushs more air then my Asaka Apache 120mm's.. but wont work at 5v controlled with a Zalman Fanmate2..
The 1200rpm Scythe (the middle to fast 120mm Gentle Typhoons) perform very well at 5v and even lower.

What not change your design so you can use two 120mm fans running at a straight 5v - then power it off a 5v usb line?

Other thoughts: maybe the 92mm Gentle Typhoons can run on 5v. How about the 120mm x 12mm Scythe fans?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:34 am

Hi,
I'm wondering if a 60mm fan at 5V will push any air, provided it even starts... my experience says no.

I strongly second that :
What not change your design so you can use two 120mm fans running at a straight 5v

markyb

Post by markyb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am

I'll take some pics later on and show you why i wanted the 40/60mm fan and where abouts in situ might explain the reasoning abit better..

thanks for your comments so far folks

Pics to follow
:D

markyb

Post by markyb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 am

Sorry for the basic drawing but i do really need a better editor installed rather then just MS Paint!! But you get the idea..

Image My aim was to position the fan up real close to get as much benifit as possible out the air being pushed..

This is the configuration at the moment. I kept it as that mainly because it still kept its functionality and also did some cooling of the components underneath

2x 1200mm Slipstreams could be used as i did buy 2 "just incase" Altho, id need to completely rethink and modify the stand basically to be a permanent position (no biggy as id probably not change it anyway with the way the current slipstream is positioned) and be stable and strong enough so i could rest my hands on the laptop when typing. You think this would be a better idea and use both scythe's instead of the 40/60mm fan idea?

Ces: About the Apache vs scythe test.. not sure how accurate it would be.. I ran speedfan and the scythe was slightly a faster fan on the proggy @ 12vdc as apposed to the apache @ 12vdc

If there is any test i can perform *just for ref) before i cut open the other 120mm scythe to go 5v then feel free to give me abit more info on how a test could be performed.. Im still pretty new to this silencing and with the posts youve racked up already (plus thee knowledge to back them up) you are alot more knowledgable then myself 8)

markyb

Post by markyb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

Okies after another head scratching moment. its possible to do it think..

Id basically take the middle support legs clean off and get rid of the ridges in the base. *in between the fan at the moment..*
Keep the back 2 pivots and bar.. 2 fans side by side and pack the back edge of the fans up on the base to support the laptop. Id also put some packing on the mateing face to the laptop *like cushioning or rubber* so the fan outer case isnt sat hard up to the laptop underside..
and theres room for some air to be pushed sideways

Sound like a good plan?

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 am

markyb wrote: Ces: About the Apache vs scythe test.. not sure how accurate it would be.. I ran speedfan and the scythe was slightly a faster fan on the proggy @ 12vdc as apposed to the apache @ 12vdc
Faster rpm isn't the same as more CFM. Which did you originally mean?

Doing the "hand test" from a distance of 6 inches, then 3 inches, then 3mm, is about all you can do. Which fan is generating the most air pressure at 6 inches? Which at 3mm?

Try it at full speed. Then at slowest speed?

How are you powering the PWM fan in doing this test?

If you can't feel the difference, then maybe the difference isn't all htat important.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 am

Why don't you see if you can do a universal design with two 5v scythes that they rest of us can copy?

Would the scythe 120mm x 12mm form factor be easier to work with? They also have a 100mm x 12 f (and 100mm x 25mm) form factor that fits into 92mm mounting holes. They are all branded as scythes. They probably all use the same basic motor.

The faster models of the Gentle Typhoon series perform well at 5 volts and under. See:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?s ... ig.png&1=1

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... html#sect0

The 140mm kaze maru start at 3.5v. They are currently being replaced with a new generation but the new generation looks like it uses the Scythe Slipstream motor, so they probably handle low voltage just fine as well. These fans mount on 120mm fan mountings. So a design that took that into account (leaving enough air room around the mounts) would work equally well for either size Scythe.

What about two 140mm kaze maru side by side? That isn't bad coverage.

markyb

Post by markyb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 am

ces wrote:
Faster rpm isn't the same as more CFM. Which did you originally mean?

Doing the "hand test" from a distance of 6 inches, then 3 inches, then 3mm, is about all you can do. Which fan is generating the most air pressure at 6 inches? Which at 3mm?

Try it at full speed. Then at slowest speed?

How are you powering the PWM fan in doing this test?

If you can't feel the difference, then maybe the difference isn't all htat important.
No, i knew that, again didnt explain my self very well. Im obviously after CFM..

Lookin at the tech specs of both fans

The scythe is rated at 68.5 cfm at 12v
Akasa Apache 57.53 cfm at 12v
And i do feel when doing the "hand test" its a slight noticable difference at all distances, less at 6 inch which i would expect.
The scythe is holding well 1148rpm and the Akasa Apache @ 1010 All mean revs via speedfan

Both fans are being used with a Zalman fanmate2 cranked up to the max off the mobo

At min value at 5v the apache wont idle so i cant give it a good comparison between the two but both as quiet as each other and it looks like the scythe has more revs and more cfm which realistically i could turn the scythe down in revs to the same as the apache getting similar results..

Im happy with both sets of fans performance, alittle more with the scythe as it was £4 cheaper which over two fans is the cost of an additional Scythe fan which could have been for free! and also the added benifit that it will go to 5v happily rather then the apache stalling out..

Im gonna do as you suggested and combine both fans side by side. I can JUST get 2 side by side on the base.. So the 140 fans are too big. but did remember you saying they will fit 120mm mountings so should be the same case sizes im guessing.. Seeing as ive bought these 2 scythes and ive hacked one up already.. the second is a goner too.. i'll post pics of the set up when done and more importantly the temps with/without and if the CPU fan comes on or not.. :)

thanks for your thoughts and info folks..

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I own a Acer Aspire 5735Z. It was a bargain at $399 USD, especially considering the hardware (T3200 & GMA 4500MHD). The fan is my biggest complaint - it basically has two states: off (or really slow) or FAST. There's nothing in between. It will ramp up even if sitting idle with the screen off. So I'm very interested in your results!

markyb

Post by markyb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am

Will be next week now before i get to do anything with this. Im going away to a music event in Holland tomorrow till monday. Nice to see someone else also has the same probs as me Jay.. I wouldnt say its as cheap as i would have liked it to be.. But its definatly so far alot more silent then the Zalman notebook cooler was before.

keep you posted mate :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:54 pm

markyb wrote:
Laptop is a Acer Aspire 5735 if that is of any use..
have you thought about upgrading the factory TIM on the HS assembly to a premium grade? maybe the cpu can run cool enough to keep the stock fan from fully ramping up. (every little bit can help)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm

markyb wrote:Im gonna do as you suggested and combine both fans side by side. I can JUST get 2 side by side on the base.. So the 140 fans are too big. but did remember you saying they will fit 120mm mountings so should be the same case sizes im guessing..
The 140s will fit into 120mm mountings, but they do bulge over so you need to set the mountings about 10mm further apart than you would if you are using two 120mm fans.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 pm

markyb wrote:The scythe is rated at 68.5 cfm at 12v
Akasa Apache 57.53 cfm at 12v
And i do feel when doing the "hand test" its a slight noticable difference at all distances, less at 6 inch which i would expect.
The scythe is holding well 1148rpm and the Akasa Apache @ 1010 All mean revs via speedfan

Both fans are being used with a Zalman fanmate2 cranked up to the max off the mobo
Something is not quite symmetrical here. Apache is a PWM fan the scythe is not. Seems like you most be running the apache in non-pwm mode.

And the test is in open air, where you would expect that Scythe to have an advantage., not with high impedance, where you would expect the apache to have an advantage.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:02 pm

I forgot, Dorothy Bradbury's 60mm fans probably work at 5v. They say 7v, but so do the 120mm and they work very strongly at 5v and probably below.
http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/