Reduce voltage on a Hardcano 9 - How?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xseven

Reduce voltage on a Hardcano 9 - How?

Post by xseven » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 am

Hi!
I have a Thermaltake Xaser III with a Hardcano 9.
Now the case being aluminium and the room temperature quite low, night time I would like the reduce the fans speed even more than the Hardcano allows it.
What are my options: 2 rheostats on the power feeds that supply the Hardcano?
Another fan controller? (it needs to handle all 7 fans, one being a 14 inch one)
Any other ideas?

Thank you very much!

eddieck

Post by eddieck » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 am

If you don't want to deal with a full-blown fan controller Nexus makes some relatively cheap cables that can downvolt to 7V and 5V.

xseven

Post by xseven » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:36 am

And the cables are placed where?
Do you have a link at hand?

xseven

Post by xseven » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:26 am

The question is at the moment .. do I put a switch on the yellow cable for both molex cables that supply the hardcano or I need a DPST switch to include the 5v red one as well?
Or could I put a potentiometer? What type?
Cheers!

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 am

SEVEN fans one of which 14 inch big? You'll need an exorcist to quiet that pc down! :P
Aluminum cases don't help cooling things inside, they're as effective as a steel (or cement for that matter) one. If that fan controller is not lowering their speed enough, maybe the fans are too fast (and/or noisy) and there's nothing you can do besides replacing them or placing a resistor on each fan cable. I wouldn't recommend reducing the power to the HardCano itself as the controller probably needs the full 12v to properly work. But if you simply plan to keep the computer on while sleeping, you could figure out a switch to turn it completely off (if the pc is doing light stuff, such as P2P, it won't need almost any cooling).