AC F12 PWM > Scythe Slipstream 800?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cerb

AC F12 PWM > Scythe Slipstream 800?

Post by Cerb » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 am

So, I'm about to add a good 100W to my PC (GTX 460), and I'm unsure whether a couple old Slipstream 800 RPM fans are up for it--or maybe if something that can ramp up under load might be better. The old 7-blade AC PWM fans were OK (the slow Slipstream fit my needs better, at the time), but now they've got a newer model, with more blades, and crappy reviews (Bjorn3D's is entertaining, however).

I can't find much quality info on them. How are they, in noise and air flow? Would I better off getting a Slipstream PWM, and a PWM splitter?

Currently, my PC is about as it appears in my sig, but with an even worse cable mess, and a dreaded 7800GT (yes, the gaming bug got me that bad...). My intent is to experiment with covers/ducts after getting the new card, with the fans in the front, able only to draw air through the filtered bottom section (the top of the PC will be covered, possibly with ducts or barriers inside).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:33 am

Probably one of the best 120mm PWM fans around is the Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P. This is the same fan that Scythe fit to the Mugen 2 CPU cooler. A PWM splitter cable such as the Akasa AK-CB002 will need to be plugged into the CPU PWM header. It does not mean that you necessarily have to have a PWM CPU fan. The AK-CB002 supports up to three fans, if you plug 3 pin fans into it they simply run at full speed. This does not intefere with the PWM control over any 4 pin fans that are plugged into it. A nice point about the Akasa splitter is that it draws its power from a molex rather than the motherboard fan header.

As an alternative Slip Steam PWM fan to the SY1225SL12LM-P you could consider the SY1225SL12HPVC. This allows you to dial in the idle speed you want - down to around 500 rpm and still have the PWM control. Scythe fit this fan to their Yasya and Ninja 3 CPU coolers. It is a bit more expensive, but can still be used with a splitter.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 am

So, can I assume that the Slipstreams are still very good fans for the CFM & dBA, then?

4-pin PWM isn't a must, but I was sold on it even back in '07--just that then, the ~450RPM (5v) Slipstreams kept my computer cool enough, and were 100% inaudible from where I sit. The ACs then, while very good fans, were not quite that good.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:12 am

Cerb wrote:So, can I assume that the Slipstreams are still very good fans for the CFM & dBA, then?
Yes, SPCR tested the Slipstream PWM fan fitted to the Mugen 2, and the results here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article961-page5.html show that it is very good indeed. (Note: the RPM Rating is 1300, not 1200). I have three Slipstream PWM fans in a PC. They idle at around 500 rpm or so and I simply cannot hear them at that speed.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:14 am

Excellent. I guess I'll get new Scythes. Thanks.