60mm Oscilloscope Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sonicj

60mm Oscilloscope Fan

Post by sonicj » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:29 pm

hi! i recently purchased a new oscilloscope and while i really like the thing, the fan noise a deal breaker! so far, i've added a 20Ω 2w resistor in series and soft mounted the fan with rubber bands. this dropped current consumption from .18a to .14a and reduced noise by about 5db! while this is way better than stock, i know there is some room for improvement. i was thinking about the SilenX IXP-34-16 60mm Case Fan but was worried it might not move enough air. the EVERCOOL FAN-LD6025B-EC2 60mm Blue LED Case Fan looks like a decent compromise of cfm vs dba, but i figured i should consult the experts first! i don't think there is enough room for a 80mm adapter unless there is one with some offset to one side. silent isn't really my goal, just less like a shop vac and more like a oscilloscope! im not too sure on the required cfm... i know the stock fan seems to move a good amount of air for a 60mm. from what i've read, there are only a few parts inside that get warm; none of the chips, but a few components like diodes and regulators. not sure what i can get away with cfm wise... the more air the better, then less cfm the better! anywho, any advise would be much appreciated! cheers!
-sj

Image Image

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835191005 since I know think that Evercool fan specs are bullsh*t.

Think about it, SilenX fan specs call for 18 CFM@2000 RPM while Evercool calls for 31.62 CFM@2300 RPM.
It is impossible to gain almost 50% more airflow with only 12% increase in RPM without enlarging the fan blades. It can't be done.
Evercool is lying.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I personally wouldn't use the Evercool or the Silenx. Evercool's larger fans are pretty good, but it seems everything less than 80mm in size has problems (I've tried a couple 50mm fans myself. Quiet for a while, but they quickly failed). Silenx has one of the worst reputations for fan failures I've ever seen, and I wouldn't use any of their fans because of it (look at the reviews. All the positive "Wow!" reviews are short term from between a day and a couple months of use).

I would try this variable Vantec fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999615 Vantec isn't known for having the quietest fans around, but they're at least dependable. And this one will vary its speed depending on temperature, so it will remain pretty quiet as long as your oscilloscope stays cool. A 60mm fan at 2,000 RPM is more than quiet enough for most people.

I just now looked at the rest of the Silenx fan reviews, and it looks like some people have gotten them to last for a while. They're probably fine for more intermittent use (like your oscilloscope), but I would still trust another brand more.

sonicj

Post by sonicj » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 pm

thanx for the advice guys! that vantec sounds like the way to go! now that i think about it, i put a VANTEC SF6025L 60mm in my dad's tivo a few years back and it has been flawless! the temp control is a interesting feature... i guess it has a thermistor on the board maybe??? nevermind... i found a pic :D

you're right about the intermittent use! more often than not, i power it up, take a few measurements, then i'm done. no need for that much airflow for short term use. i like the as-needed approach with the temp sensor!

thanx again!
-sj

fumino

Post by fumino » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 pm

performance-pcs has a bunch of 60mm fans... you might look at the scythe or noiseblocker.

i guess if the specs on that vantec are honest it'll work though.