Mounting NMB 120 mm

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Oysterman
Patron of SPCR

Mounting NMB 120 mm

Post by Oysterman » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:49 am

I was to install an NMB as an intake fan in my case using 4 of the blue EAR isolators I've had lying around. I can't seem to figure out how to do this properly. Take a look at this link:

http://www.nmbtech.com/products/fans/dc4710nl.html

My fans are of the "rib type", so it seems that whatever I use has to be at least as deep as the fan? Or can I pull this off somehow with the little blue pieces I already have? If yes, how?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:06 am

You're screwed. The isolators only work with the normal style of fans that have the flange.

Look at the pics of my fan mounts in this thread and you can see how they're supposed to work.

EDIT - Oops :oops: , looks like I cropped a little too tight. Well, if you look at the front fan in the distance you can see what I'm talking about.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:59 pm

Dremel, or hacksaw then nip out the center "solid" bit. Just leave the flange...

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:59 pm

Somebody else here (I can't remember who) suggested tying some fishing line to the end of the isolator to help pull it through.

That, plus a little lubrication (Windex or soapy water?) should help get the isolators in, perhaps?

Then just cut off the extra fishing line when you're done.

I don't know if this will actually work, but it's what I would try in that situation...

8)

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:10 pm

Sorta on topic........where can I get a 120mm NMB? Would like to try one on the slk3700.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:12 am

Wedge wrote:Sorta on topic........where can I get a 120mm NMB? Would like to try one on the slk3700.
Dorothy sells them. She posts in the Deals Forum all the time. She's in England but ships to Europe and the US. The quitest version she sells are the "B30's" which will need to be undervolted to be quiet enough for the typical SPCR'er.

TheJTrain

Post by TheJTrain » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:39 pm

How about these? Anybody seen/use these instead of the EAR grommets?

Jason

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:06 am

TheJTrain wrote:How about these? Anybody seen/use these instead of the EAR grommets?

Jason
I've been hoping somebody would try them and post their results, otherwise I'll just have to break down and get/test some myself!

8)

TheJTrain

Post by TheJTrain » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:21 am

I think I'll get some and test them out, since I'm ordering some other stuff from Directron. I'll repost and let everyone know how it goes. Regarding this thread in particular though - it looks like these long stick-like ones might reach all the way through the channel between the flanges, so he doesn't have to carve up the fan housing.

I'm not jumping on getting some of those EAR grommets 'cause any place that carries them (Silicon Acoustics and another place that I can't find now!) doesn't have anything else I'd get, and paying $5 shipping for just those is a drag and a half.

Jason

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:02 pm

TheJTrain wrote: I'm not jumping on getting some of those EAR grommets 'cause any place that carries them (Silicon Acoustics and another place that I can't find now!) doesn't have anything else I'd get, and paying $5 shipping for just those is a drag and a half.

Jason
You can get them from McMaster-Carr in bags of 20 for around $10 (that's less than 1/2 of what Silicon Acoustics charges for them) and the shipping is real reasonable according to folks that have posted about it. Go to the font page, type "1212" into the search box and scroll down till you see them. The ones for regular 80mm, 92mm and any other fan with a normal tickness flange are the #5801K6. The ones that fit the 120mm Panaflos are the #5801K8.

HokieESM

Post by HokieESM » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:56 am

Just a bump--I'm thinking of ordering a pair of NMB fans from Dorothy (hardwired to 5V), and I'd love to know a way to decouple them (since the EAR mounts appear to not work).

Anyone tried the "fan sticks" from Directron?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:32 pm

Anyone tried the "fan sticks" from Directron?
These fan sticks are actually made by Verax. I have both the EAR isolators and these Verax rubber sticks and I could only get the rubber sticks to work. Then again, I have a modified D8000 from Coolcases.com. This case has rubber grommets through the metal spaces where the EAR grommets would attach to. I guess I could take out the grommets, but the rubber grommets and rubber sticks work great because the rubber grommet "sticks" to the rubber stick. Plus there is no gap beween the fan and case with these rubber sticks, so that means better air flow (no air escape). This could be an issue if the fan was touching the metal of the case directly but it rests on the C-strip (rubber stripping around the edge of the 120mm hole - before Coolcases.com modified it the hole had grills). So the C-Strip stops any vibration from reaching the case. Plus I've used these rubber sticks for both 38mm thick and 25mm thick fans, same "model" works for both. All in all, I like the rubber sticks better. I got them from Directron too. They almost didn't ship them to me because they were pre-order and they didn't come in my original order. So I wasn't alarmed and by the time I notified them they were pissed because it was past the "1 week notification period". Anyway, we finally got it straigtenned out.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:45 am

marc999 wrote:...I have both the EAR isolators and these Verax rubber sticks and I could only get the rubber sticks to work... the rubber grommets and rubber sticks work great because the rubber grommet "sticks" to the rubber stick... Plus I've used these rubber sticks for both 38mm thick and 25mm thick fans, same "model" works for both. All in all, I like the rubber sticks better. I got them from Directron too...
Thank you for that information marc999, it is very helpful.

8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:19 am

marc999 - How do those rubber sticks retain the fan? They don't look long enough to go through the entire way. Do they just hold the fan buy friction?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:58 pm

These sticks are long !! However, they are thin and rubber, therefore their whole length is not useful. As a matter of fact, in the Verax instruction manual, it says to trim down the excess to desired lengh, which I have done.

How do they work? That's kinda a tough question to answer. Basically, in my setup, there is a lot of rubber on rubber friction, however, not everyone has these big thick rubber grommets that I do. What they also have is a big bump on the one side of the stick (where you would hold the sword if you picture the stick like a fencing sword). This bump is what gives and goes through the fan hole and the case hole (or grommet in my case). Also, the sticks come with little rubber circles (also grommets I guess you could say) that are meant to go over the bump and prevent the bump from sliding back in through the case and fan hole. Keep in mind, I only mount the stick through the one side of the fan (and of course all four holes on that side). Of course the sticks wouldn't be long enough to go through both sides, but then again I don't why anyone would want to do that anyway. Anyway, these little rubber grommets didn't do a thing to help, so I fail to see the point of them.

I can put some pics up if someone can give me a place to host them. A picture is worth a thousand words !! :D