Fan controller compatibility

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

David Cole

Fan controller compatibility

Post by David Cole » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 am

Grateful if someone can advise me whether a fan controller (this one - http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... -mfc1-plus )
will control a 140mm fan. I am using the controller with 120mm fans but so hopeless is my knowledge that I don't know if it will work with 140mm fans. I have in mind the Lian Li PC-B10 which has both size of fans and I will want to put new quieter ones in. I know there is some issue with whether or not a fan is PWM but I don't know what it is (except that Noctua told me that their 140mm fan should work with the Zalman fan controller). But will all 140mm fans work with it?

Thanks.

misterd
Patron of SPCR

Re: Fan controller compatibility

Post by misterd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 am

PWM has nothing to do with the physical size of the fans. It's the 4 pin connector on the fan VS the 3 pin normal standard. It's used to automatically control speed based on temperature requirements. I will let an expert continue on from here. They are generally backwards compatible but you lose the speed control feature when doing so.

fumino

Post by fumino » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:16 am

as long as the fan uses 3pin or 4pin fan headers, and not exclusively a molex header, that fan controller will be able to power it properly.
I know there is some issue with whether or not a fan is PWM
there is no such issue with manual fan controllers, thats strictly with automatic fan control on some motherboards.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 am

Thank you very much. Clear now.