Slipstream SH model and Asus fan controls

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Conchis

Slipstream SH model and Asus fan controls

Post by Conchis » Sat May 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I recently purchased parts for a new build that I will be assembling tomorrow, and have some questions about the case fans I bought. My rig will be a P183 case with an i5-2500k on the new Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard. I also bought a Gelid Tranquillo CPU cooler, three Slipstream SY1225SL12SH fans, and a Scythe Kaze Q fan controller. I read somewhere on this forum that someone had good luck with a trio of these fans set up as intake exhaust and cpu fan all controlled by a fan controller, so I figured I'd copy that setup.

But now I'm wondering if the fan controller settings on my Asus board will be sufficient, and if they are, whether they are a good match for the particular fans I've got which I understand are very high velocity and loud at normal voltage. With a hardware fan controller I can undervolt them to a lower rpm and quiet level - can I do the same with the Asus fan controls? It looks like the Asus fan controls have temperature settings, but I can't figure out if it will undervolt the fans the way I need.

More generally, given my CPU mobo and CPU cooler, did I choose poorly with these fans? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Slipstream SH model and Asus fan controls

Post by kuzzia » Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Using "FanXpert" in Asus' own software "Asus AI Suite", you can, according to the software, run the fan at only 10 %!! that translates to 1,2 V (12V * 0,1).

You should give it a try, my own stock fan from the Mugen 2 is controlled by the FanXpert. However, that's a PWM, I don't know if that applies to 3-pin fans as well. I know for sure that case fans can only be run at 40 % (approx. 5 V).

Hope my answer will help you.

faustus

Post by faustus » Sat May 21, 2011 3:08 pm

AFAIK the Asus boards can only control PWM fans (4-pin), not voltage-controlled fans (3-pin). At least that's the case with my two Asus boards, a Rampage Gene (X58/Nehalem) and a P8P67 (Sandy Bridge).

I generally use an external fan controller, they work with either kind of fan.

Conchis

Post by Conchis » Sat May 21, 2011 7:22 pm

faustus wrote:AFAIK the Asus boards can only control PWM fans (4-pin), not voltage-controlled fans (3-pin). At least that's the case with my two Asus boards, a Rampage Gene (X58/Nehalem) and a P8P67 (Sandy Bridge).

I generally use an external fan controller, they work with either kind of fan.
I suspected something along those lines, which is why I bought the Kaze Q fan controller. But my fan controller doesn't do temperature monitoring. So now I'm wondering if I should have bought a better fan controller or should have bought different fans. Oh well.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 pm

You probably would have been better served starting with the M model (1200rpm). They move plenty of air for any sane purpose that would be visited on this site and they undervolt very well.

The SH's are not likely to slow enough to make them really quiet, but I could be wrong.

Lithium466

Post by Lithium466 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:38 am

My SH slipstream is able to run at ~500rpm @5V, whereas my "M" is unable to run under ~700rpm (I've bought it after having read the Spcr review, but I'm quite disappointed). What's wrong with Slipstream SH and Kaze Q ?
Maybe you can keep your slipstream and get a "better" (with screen) fan controller ? Or you can buy PWM fans that could be regulated by your motherboard. In my opinion, "good" fan controller are worth it, but it depend on what you want, of course ;)

Edit :
---- Code ---------- Fan ---- Starting Voltage - Starting RPM
SY1225SL12SL | Slip Stream 500 | ~ 6.6 V | 300 rpm
SY1225SL12L | Slip Stream 800 | ~ 3.5 V | 280 rpm
SY1225SL12M | Slip Stream 1200 | ~ 3.5 V | 580 rpm
SY1225SL12H | Slip Stream 1600 | ~ 4.7 V | 940 rpm
SY1225SL12SH | Slip Stream 1900 | ~ 4.0 V | 430 rpm
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/slip-str ... -fans.html