The PWM fan on the Shuriken 2 is loud! Replace it or...?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

The PWM fan on the Shuriken 2 is loud! Replace it or...?

Post by DG » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Just purchased a new cooler, Scythe Big Shuriken 2, and the PWM fan that comes with it is not that quiet. The fan's specs are 500 (±200 rpm) - 2.000 rpm (±10%) - PWM-controlled (model nr: SY1212SL12H-P). Of course at maximum 2k RPM it's very loud, but my disappointment came when i tried to lower the rpm to about ~900; At 900 RPM it's quiet enough for me, BUT it has a low buzzing noise that is constant, no matter the RPM. I can hear it from about 16 inches (~40 cm) in open space (the only powered fan in the room). Is the fan broken or is this normal for a PWM fan? Also, the fan controller (Scythe KazeMaster) doesn't support PWM fans, could be the cause of the fan's bearing buzzing? Would something like this help: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=32430 ?

Or should i just replace it? I would need a slim fan (10-12mm), and since only Scythe makes them...Should i go for the 800RPM or 1200 RPM versions (non PWM)? I'm afraid that 800 RPM wouldn't be enough for the job (intel 2600k CPU, stock, in direct air path)...

ps: non-PWM fans can't be controlled from windows, is this right?

Abula

Re: The PWM fan on the Shuriken 2 is loud! Replace it or...?

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 pm

DG wrote:Or should i just replace it? I would need a slim fan (10-12mm), and since only Scythe makes them...Should i go for the 800RPM or 1200 RPM versions (non PWM)? I'm afraid that 800 RPM wouldn't be enough for the job (intel 2600k CPU, stock, in direct air path)
Well you have already the Slipstream pwm running at 900rpm, try running it at 800rpm and check your temps, if you are fine there then go for the 800rpm, also try it at 1200rpm see if you are fine with that. Also check the fan plugged directly to your mobo, see if you can control it, or check if you still hear the buzz without the fan controller.
DG wrote:ps: non-PWM fans can't be controlled from windows, is this right?
Depends on the motherboard, some can change rpms on voltage, check your mobo bios/software.

DG

Post by DG » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 am

My new pc hasn't arrived yet, so i only have parts of it, mainly the psu, fan controller and this cpu cooler.

I was wondering if the bearing noise could be generated only because the PWM on the fan doesn't like the non-PWM fan controller, if anyone has encountered this. And if someone has tried that mCubed fan controller "Smoothening Unit/Attenuator"; it says, among other things that it "makes sharp PWM more smooth". :|

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:11 am

I was wondering if the bearing noise could be generated only because the PWM on the fan doesn't like the non-PWM fan controller, if anyone has encountered this.
I`ve come across the opposite, pwm control making the fan buzz but you never know. Still, it seems more likely to me that it`s simply a bad or damaged sample. Perhaps you could test the fan on another computer, any pc with a 4 pin pwm header on the motherboard should do.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:56 am

DG wrote:My new pc hasn't arrived yet, so i only have parts of it, mainly the psu, fan controller and this cpu cooler.

I was wondering if the bearing noise could be generated only because the PWM on the fan doesn't like the non-PWM fan controller, if anyone has encountered this. And if someone has tried that mCubed fan controller "Smoothening Unit/Attenuator"; it says, among other things that it "makes sharp PWM more smooth". :|
I would wait for your mobo to arrive, i dont know which is it, but if its something recent, most mobos will come with 4pin pwm header for the cpu fan cooler, and test at 800rpm, 1200rpm, etc.