How loud would 21 500 RPM 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans be?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RIchardF

How loud would 21 500 RPM 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans be?

Post by RIchardF » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:46 am

If one were to set up a watercooling system with two 1080mm slimmer profile radiators and 9 of these fans on each in push configuration, would the noise be quite distinct? There would also be a 360mm radiator connected with three in push.

They are rated at 5 dB each but I am wondering what will happen if there are so many of them. I am also wondering if they could be run at 300 RPM given such a large number. The idea is to push just enough air through the radiators that it can cool up to 500 watts with low noise.

The other option is to get 1260mm radiators with 9 140mm fans or 4 200mm fans. However, the price is much lower for a 1080mm radiator so it would be, fan cost excluded, less expensive to run three 1080mm radiators than two 1260s.

I also wonder about the dual ball bearings causing high-pitch noise at low RPM as well as becoming noisier with time. Would it be better to go with sleeve fans since all but the 360 will be mounted vertically?

It would certainly be cheaper and easier, in terms of fan cost and fan wiring, to go with 1260mm radiators and 200mm Phanteks 200SP fans. However, are they quiet enough at their lowest RPM and effective enough to be worth bothering with?

baii

Re: How loud would 21 500 RPM 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans be?

Post by baii » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Gt is a good rad fan, but at low rpm, it isn't that spectacular, so are other performance fans. At low rpm, the performance/noise difference between most fan become less.https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/ ... 6-summary/

The gt does have a distinctive bearing sound, but my personal opinion is that it is not the real problem. I find the gt have a tendency to hum.

I think your are approaching passive (pump on ofc)with that much rad space. 500w isn't much imo. you can probably look into some fdb fan that are known to has no tonailty and run them at 300-500rpm.

I read 1 1080, I think you can really try passive before using fans.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:44 pm

baii wrote:run them at 300-500rpm.

Never saw a radiator under load with those fan speeds (though never saw two 1080 radiators).

By the way, to the OP, it won't be quiet, though it may be not unbearable (recently I saw an air cooled rig with about 30 fans and it was doable).

HollyBoni

Post by HollyBoni » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:01 am

I have two Watercool mo-ra 2 rads.

If you want ultimate silence, just don't put fans on them. I run mine passive, radiators this big can handle the hottest cards and CPUs with really good temps.

Or, if you want ultimate performance AND silence, put the rad and the pump outside the room like Linus did with whole room watercooling, although this would be much simpler. If you have components that generate a lot of heat radiators this big can actually heat up the room very noticeably in the summer (ask me how I know haha).
If you put the rads and the pump outside the room you remove one more noise source, the pump, and since you can't hear it you can put massive, and super powerful fans meant for cars on the radiators. You can get ones that cover the whole radiator, and they spin around 2000-2500rpm... Brutal.
This is my long term plan for the future.
Last edited by HollyBoni on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

HollyBoni

Post by HollyBoni » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:04 am

Oh, and those Phanteks fans are absolutely horrible... I bought two of them.
They barely move any air at all, and they're really loud, and they vibrate like hell. Wind and ticking noise. I DON'T recommend them.

Forget 200-220mm fans. There isn't one that's good. Only no-name brands bother making them, I spent ages trying to find a good one. I saw some pictures, Noctua is coming out with a 200mm fan in the future.