Getting a software based 3 pin fan cooler?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Getting a software based 3 pin fan cooler?

Post by boe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:08 am

Hello,

Because of my case design, I need a 10mm thick 3 pin fan between slots for my raid controller. I put in a 1000 RPM fan and it just is enough for medium load and very quiet (about 14db). However I could really use a 2000 RPM fan for heavy load which will make it too loud for normal use (about 30db)
http://www.scytheus.com/product/kaze-jyu-slim-100mm/

I was looking at something like this
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pt-fn03/

However the back of my case is difficult to get to under my desk. All my front bays are full so I can't put a controller there. I was wondering if there were any software based controllers?

quest_for_silence

Re: Getting a software based 3 pin fan cooler?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:41 am

boe wrote:I was wondering if there were any software based controllers?

Mostly for Windows: for instance, Speedfan.
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 am

Have you got any spare fan headers on the motherboard? It depends upon your motherboard and what speed control it offers but try Speedfan if you run Windows and see what happens.

Something else to ask before you do anything though:
Why do you need a fan for your RAID controller? Any problems when running passive? Does it give environmental requirements in the manual? Unless the inside of your case is very hot there should be no reason for additional cooling for what is a relatively low power card and if the inside of your case is that hot, it would be better to do something about the overall case temperature instead. A manually adjusted fan controller would not be a good idea.

boe

Post by boe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:56 am

My RAID controller is an Adaptec ASR81605ZQ which runs even hotter than an LSI card. Everything else in my case is running under expected temperatures as the case has good airflow, however the adaptec runs HOT! It has two noctua 120mm fans running at medium pointed right at it and it still runs hot about 150 under medium load even with 2 120mm and 1 100mm 1000RPM directly under it. I have 15 spindle drives in my case and balancing speed and low noise is difficult. All the drives are cool enough, my 780 video card is cool enough, my 6700k cpu is ridiculously cool as well as the motherboard. The only problem is the controller which I consider a poor design but one of my few choices for 16 drives and a 1GB cache. The card is known to run ridiculously hot.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:54 am

boe wrote:it still runs hot about 150

150 what? °K, °C, °R, °F ?? BTW: a) broadly speaking, if those were 150°F, it's not that hot for a chip; b) may that sensor be bust?

boe

Post by boe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:15 pm

150F is what it hits at mid level use

The product specifications are -

Operating Temperature
0°C to 50°C* (with 200 LFM airflow) Note: This Adaptec card contains a powerful RAID processor which requires adequate airflow to operate reliably. Please install this card only into server or PC chassis with recommended airflow (200 LFM). * Ambient temperature measured 1" away from the RAID processor

I'm unclear as to those are the temperatures of the environment it can work in or those are the temperatures it can survive and function.

Everything else in my system runs so much cooler- of course they have better heat radiators.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 am

boe wrote:I'm unclear as to those are the temperatures of the environment it can work in or those are the temperatures it can survive and function.

That's the environmental temperature range Adaptec legally guarantees the card is able to work in.

boe wrote:Everything else in my system runs so much cooler- of course they have better heat radiators.

Providing you can't replace the Adaptec stock heatsink, you might start to replace the relevant stock TIM with something known as good (for instance the AC MX4), trying to gain some degrees (maybe 5-15°F less).

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 am

Hi, do you actually get errors/lockups/data corruption when the card gets hot in your case? (I imagine you would if it gets hot enough but does this occur for you)

Googling images for said card it looks like the stock heat sink is easily replaceable. Two push pins (squeeze the back with needle nose pliers to release) hold it on.
Suggestion of replacing the thermal compound is sensible.
Also you could replace the heat sink with a much bigger one, assuming there is room in your case. If for example you search eBay for "aluminium heatsink" there are lots in all different sizes to choose from. e.g. ebay item
Hacksaw to cut one down, if needed, would only be a small investment too.
Initially you could use zip ties through the existing mounting holes to secure a new heat sink down, although mounting pressure is important. I think you could fit one at least twice as large by extending above the card.
You could also measure the mounting hole spacing and see if it happens to match up at all with existing aftermarket VGA coolers, I'm thinking "flower" type ones could potentially (be made to) fit.

Good luck,
Seb

boe

Post by boe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:41 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
boe wrote:I'm unclear as to those are the temperatures of the environment it can work in or those are the temperatures it can survive and function.

That's the environmental temperature range Adaptec legally guarantees the card is able to work in.

I'll contact adaptec today and get clarification for what temperature is acceptable for the card to have on its measurement interface. The temperature inside my case is definitely between 0-50degrees C.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:10 am

no installed server level raid card is going to stay much under 60c ish while in use.

if your server room doesn't get over 90f your card should be happy as a pig in slop.

boe

Post by boe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 am

xan_user wrote:no installed server level raid card is going to stay much under 60c ish while in use.

if your server room doesn't get over 90f your card should be happy as a pig in slop.
Thanks - that is my daily goal.

boe

Post by boe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 pm

I just checked - I guess I won't need to put in a fancy fan control. Adaptec says my temperature is fine.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:34 pm

All's well that ends well... :wink: