Where to place fan filter?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

syrian_gamer

Where to place fan filter?

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Hey guys. Just got a new pc, its looking amazing. I want to add some fan filters so that it wouldnt be so gross on the inside after a couple of years. I got some nylon panti hoes that I plan on cutting and gluing. Now I plan on having positive pressure to keep dust out. So yeah my question is, for the filters on an intake fan, do I place it in front of the fan or behind the fan? Which will be the quieter alternative?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Where to place fan filter?

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 am

In front of the fan. The fan should suck air through the filter, not try to blow air through it.

Panti hoes is great for this. :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am

think about it... if you put it inside, it would be impossible to clean and the fan would still get funked up with dust.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Ah yes, i guess to vacuum it the best option would be in front of the fan. Thanks guys!

Silent but deadly

Post by Silent but deadly » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm

syrian_gamer wrote:Ah yes, i guess to vacuum it the best option would be in front of the fan. Thanks guys!
If you plan to clean the filters using a vacuum cleaner. It's best to remove the filters and clean them away from the computer. There's two reasons for this. First of all, vacuum cleaners can generate large amounts of static electricity which can damage electronics. The second reason is that you won't have to worry about immobilizing the fans. If you were to vacuum the filters whilst they're still in place in/on the case, this could cause the fans to spin which can damage the fans and make the fans generate an electrical charge that can damage the motherboard. If you have to clean the filters whilst they're still installed, make sure to stop the fans spinning.