Case: Fractal Design Core 500
CPU: i5 6600K
Mobo: Asus Z170i Gaming
PSU: Corsair RM550x
CPU cooler: SilentiumPC Fera 2 HE1224
Rear, outtake fan: Fractal Design Silent R3 140mm
Upper, intake fan: AC F12 PWM (1x)
SSD
So far, no GPU (waiting for GTX 970 sucessor)

I want to achieve barely audible noise at low-moderate loads, which is not possible with actual case fan setup, especially that Fractal is a bit noisy even at ~190 RPM. I'm using Speedfan to control fan speed vs. CPU temperature.

Another issue is that both case fans has its minimal RPM bellow the "starting" RPM, for example R3 can run at 190 RPM, but cannot start at this value, it has to "slow down" from 500 RPM to it. This makes automatic regulation a bit problematic... Guess I need quiet case fans that would be able to start at their lowest RPM, any sugestions ? I was looking at Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 or Phanteks PH-F140HP for this purpose...

Regarding the CPU cooler and it's 120mm fan - i'm fine with that, can't hear it at 490 RPM (minimal), but I can swap it too, so it will be balanced with new case fans and maybe quieter at higher loads.

Last question, regarding upper intake fans - would you fit just one 140mm fan (above CPU cooler) or should I fit a fan in both slots ? Nice photos of the case can be found here :) http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page3.html

Thanks in advance for your help & sorry for broken english, it's not my first language...

Abula

Re: Low RPM quiet case fans for Fractal Design Core 500

Post by Abula » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:11 am

motley wrote:I want to achieve barely audible noise at low-moderate loads, which is not possible with actual case fan setup, especially that Fractal is a bit noisy even at ~190 RPM. I'm using Speedfan to control fan speed vs. CPU temperature.
I never ever heard a fan below 200rpms inside a case ever, are you sure its those fans that you are hearing? maybe its the cpu fan or PSU fan? sometimes is even the hardrives that emit a sound that gets confused.
motley wrote:Another issue is that both case fans has its minimal RPM bellow the "starting" RPM, for example R3 can run at 190 RPM, but cannot start at this value, it has to "slow down" from 500 RPM to it. This makes automatic regulation a bit problematic...
This can be solved very easily, if you use Asus FanXpert (comes with AI Suite), when the computer starts bios takes over (have it to start above 500rpms) once windows loads FanXPert will take over (maybe speedfan can work the same), and it will drop them to the levels you want, avoiding the starting voltage issue.
motley wrote:I was looking at Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 or Phanteks PH-F140HP for this purpose...
I would go with Noctua NF-P14S Redux 900, it will drop very low, around 230rpms, remember to enter the bios and crosscheck the header is on voltage control and not pwm,

motley wrote:Regarding the CPU cooler and it's 120mm fan - i'm fine with that, can't hear it at 490 RPM (minimal), but I can swap it too, so it will be balanced with new case fans and maybe quieter at higher loads.
I think its fine those rpms on a cpu cooler, but up you shoudl check if this is not what you are hearing, try stoping certain fans to able to decide which are you hearing really for short amount of time.
motley wrote:Last question, regarding upper intake fans - would you fit just one 140mm fan (above CPU cooler) or should I fit a fan in both slots ? Nice photos of the case can be found here :) http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page3.html
Personally i wouldnt pupulated, i think those kinda of holes create turbulance that create noise, but test it out, only you can decide if what you are introducing to your setup is creating more noise or if its worth the cooling vs the niose you are getting.

motley

Post by motley » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:14 am

Abula wrote:I never ever heard a fan below 200rpms inside a case ever, are you sure its those fans that you are hearing? maybe its the cpu fan or PSU fan? sometimes is even the hardrives that emit a sound that gets confused.
Actually, it's sound like it's emited by fan itself, or it's bearing than airflow, forgot to mention that, I'm sorry. I've tried to switch that on and off to make sure of that. PSU is passively cooled and only one HDD installed is SSD...
Abula wrote:This can be solved very easily, if you use Asus FanXpert (comes with AI Suite), when the computer starts bios takes over (have it to start above 500rpms) once windows loads FanXPert will take over (maybe speedfan can work the same), and it will drop them to the levels you want, avoiding the starting voltage issue.
Yes, that's true, but I've set the case fans to go off when the temperature drops bellow 45°C, the problem occurs at the moment when those fans should go on :-) They don't of course and then alone CPU FAN holds the temperature at 900 RPM (wih case fans off). But I would not need that if I replace case fans with some really noiseless at low RPM :-)
Abula wrote:I would go with Noctua NF-P14S Redux 900, it will drop very low, around 230rpms, remember to enter the bios and crosscheck the header is on voltage control and not pwm.
OK, so NF-P14S Redux 900 it is :-) Thanks.

Abula wrote: I think its fine those rpms on a cpu cooler, but up you shoudl check if this is not what you are hearing, try stoping certain fans to able to decide which are you hearing really for short amount of time.
I've tried to turn all fans but CPU FAN off and it's not louder than ambient noise in my room - tested during the night with lights off :-D I thinks it's muffled a little bit by surrounding components in the case. But If I would like to upgrade it anyway, which fan would you suggest ? I heard that Phanteks are suitable for CPU cooler as they have higher pressure and still can run quietly.
Abula wrote:Personally i wouldnt pupulated, i think those kinda of holes create turbulance that create noise, but test it out, only you can decide if what you are introducing to your setup is creating more noise or if its worth the cooling vs the niose you are getting.
Sou I should try to replace just that outtake fan, then seal the top cover, run some synthetic test and see the results ?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:41 am

motley wrote:as they have higher pressure and still can run quietly.
High pressure fans are noisier than low pressure fans, period.

motley

Post by motley » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:56 pm

I did Prime95 test with top cover sealed & upper fan off and the temperatures/RPMs were same as with upper fan active, so, i've ordered 1x Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 to replace Fractal fan.