Case Fans - BQ, Noctua, others?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Koldun

Case Fans - BQ, Noctua, others?

Post by Koldun » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:10 am

Hi guys, I'm looking at the SPCR fan reviews as I need to purchase a few for my new case. Just wanted to gather a few opinions before I commit to buying anything. I'm looking for fans that are quiet and have a pleasing audio signature. They should also be able to push a respectable amount of air at low dB levels (~12dB on SPCR's chart.) If the noise profile is the same, the fan I would choose would be the one with the most efficient cooling for noise ratio @ ~12dB.

Judging by the table and subjective noise quality descriptions, the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 is probably the best choice. SPCR enjoyed the noise profile and the cooling potential is quite good at low dB levels. It's also got a really long life expectancy. The other fans that seem good would be the new Scythe ones (although they are worse than the older Slip Streams? Should I just buy Slip Streams then?) and maybe some of the Noctuas? They weren't actually reviewed in the roundups but they get rave reviews everywhere...how do they size up?

I'm leaning towards the BQ fans as several people have attested to their quality. I don't really care about the price; an extra 5-10 dollars won't make a difference if the fan performs better.

Side topic: CPU cooler fans? I've got a Scythe Kotetsu on the way (Thanks Steve) and I don't know if any of the above are suitable due to the impedance of the heatsink.

Thanks.

Arbutus

Re: Case Fans - BQ, Noctua, others?

Post by Arbutus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 pm