Help me to improve my case airflow and fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quietal

Help me to improve my case airflow and fans

Post by quietal » Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello!
Now that i save some money i decided to improve my case cooling solution.
I have a corsair 400x (no rgb), and im using the fans that come with the case:
1 x AF140L
1 x AF120L

So i guess the is a lot to improve.

For the cpu im using a thermalright macho rev b.

I would like to know how many fans i should buy and wich ones please.
I was reading al little before opening this and get some options.

corsair ML140
Silenwings 3
Noctura a13x25...

But i dont know wich one fit better my case.

Im looking for something quiet, because im a little obssesed with noise, thats the reason why im here, i would like to know wich would be the better option, but also i would like to know something more price/quality oriented, because i dont know if i can afford 30€/fan.

Please give some tips!

Thank you.

teodoro

Re: Help me to improve my case airflow and fans

Post by teodoro » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 am

What’s the goal? Are you unsatisfied with current noise levels or temperatures? What’s currently the loudest component (cpu cooler, gpu cooler, or case fans)? What cpu are you running? Where is the 140mm fan positioned? Have you already configured custom case fan curves and/or gpu fan curves?

Given how that case is setup and a normal tower cooler, you’ll see most temperature reductions from one additional fan. The 140mm intake is shipped so it’s at the top of the case, in line with the CPU cooler. Adding another fan to align with a GPU can help lower gpu temperatures and/or reduce gpu cooler noise, but it does mean more noise from the additional fan.

If your CPU isn’t too hot, you may benefit from moving the 140mm intake down to feed the gpu cooler and let the cpu fend for itself. This is what I’m currently doing in my case (fractal r6) where I have the bottom and bottom front fan slots populated, but no top front fan to blow directly at my cpu cooler (Mugen 5 on lightly overclocked 8700k). My GPU fans are the loudest component at load anyway, and my cpu cooler stays well below that noise threshold with acceptable temperatures. .

quietal

Post by quietal » Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 am

I think those fans are not good at all, they even stop and starts eventually with no reason, might be the pwm control of the motherboard.
No basically im going to buy better fans, specially in sound.
I guess i will buy one front and one rear to change them, and, if its neccesary, add another one in the front.

lseven

Post by lseven » Thu May 30, 2019 3:10 am

You can slow the actual fans, with 7v adapter or profile, and add another fan with low RPM to help the airflow. Another option is swapping actual fans, choose 3 fans low noise/RPM.