120mm Evercool Aluminium Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:32 pm

The link provided byHammerSandwich seems to be the best if you want it in authentic Evercool packaging. The part number confirms that is a 12V/Medium. And at $10.99 the price is okay too! TOO bad one can't find the double ball bearing version! The only drawback is the $7.56 shipping charge! Anyone live in Houston,Texas who can mail me a couple?

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:50 pm

<<Is this the quiet version? ("low speed" or whatever)>>

Not sure, just saw it on the fatwallet forum (a few posts up) and thought I'd post here. I haven't bought one.

Isn't it the medium version, which early posts in this thread claim works well undervolted?

From the seller's website:

Evercool 120mm Model EC12025M12C #1497
120mm Evercool ball bearing fans are extremley quiet and give a very good amount of air flow. These are excellent fans for blow holes or intake fans.
Ball Bearing Fan -2000 rpm 10% -120x120x25mm -79.14 CFM of Air -30 dba -4pin connector
Weight 0.80 lbs

prof99

Post by prof99 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:20 pm

According to the Evercool website, yes, that would be a medium speed version with one ball bearing. The only thing is it's plastic, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on its performance. I'm wondering how this fan compares with an Enermax Adjustable 120mm fan (US-12FAB). Anyone have both? Thanks.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:35 pm

I had some Enermax adjustable 120mm fans and found them to be horribly loud even on the lowest setting. I have the M version of the Enermax 120mm (aluminum) from svc and it's pretty silent when I dial down the volts using my sunbeam. I have a cheapo $5 Titan 120mm fan in plastic that is also silent at low volts.

However, I think I've seen some of the experts here say they like the Enermax adjustable so I could be off.
prof99 wrote:According to the Evercool website, yes, that would be a medium speed version with one ball bearing. The only thing is it's plastic, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on its performance. I'm wondering how this fan compares with an Enermax Adjustable 120mm fan (US-12FAB). Anyone have both? Thanks.
Last edited by PretzelB on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:10 pm

I have both an Enermax and and Evercool medium on my Sunbeam. The Evercool may be a little quieter, but the difference is small. Because both can move A LOT of air, I wasn't happy with them until I dropped them to 5V or less. This is considerably slower than the Enermax's built-in adjuster will allow when the fan is plugged into a 12V source.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:55 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
michaelb wrote:on sale here:

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/produc ... uctid=1497
$6.99 +$5.21 shipping
Is this the quiet version? ("low speed" or whatever)
well my model number is AL12025 and is M speed.

On that page it says - Evercool 120mm Model EC12025M12C. It's probbaly the same fan, but not alumimium?

specs from the page
Ball Bearing Fan -2000 rpm 10% -120x120x25mm -79.14 CFM of Air -30 dba -4pin connector

specs of my alumium M speed - rpm 2000, airflow 79.14 <30dba

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:35 pm

Interesting fans. Might consider getting two of those for my new system (the 3.4 GHz Prescott system I'm building which I'm trying to get to run quietly, if possible).

Sound also like Evercool's labelling isn't entirely clear, nor their instructions on how to install the critter.

Has anyone got pictures on the "screwdriver" install? I'd just like to see it, if possible :).

Thanks. :)

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:14 pm

Incidentally, if someone's looking for these critters in the UK, here's the 120 mm variant:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/pro ... 41&cat=283

<Also masquerading as Titan. Geez - what's wrong with using the name Evercool ... *sigh*>

Overclockers also offer the 80 mm variant but NOT (woe unto me) the 92 mm variant. :shock: :shock: :shock:

... and I would very much LIKE the 92 mm variant for my Thermalright SC-94... *whimpers*

... the search continues...

loren_brothers

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:37 pm

:D Well.. Loren got out his "old fart" thinking cap :shock:, dusted it off and dug up more information on the evercool alum. fans!

Their main distributor is Alpha and Omega Computer Corporation located in City of Industry CA.

Along the lines of the 120mm fan I found this at the AOC website:

USA Warehouse

I thought this was interesting for the following reasons:
  1. 1. Has a nice fan guard for those of you that like to chop the grilles out of your cases
    2. Has an alarm! :D for those who keep worring about fan stall-outs!
    3. Has a bracket. (what for?? I have no clue :? but I am sure some of the more "creative types" here would find that useful!)
    4. A 3 to 4 pin adaptor!
This is the same as the standard, med. speed, one ball bearing 120mm Evercool fan...just has extra goodies. Click on the little pics for a better view! (this set-up is also availiable in the 90mm :wink: )

I also have requested a catalogue from Evercool and I will send an e-mail tomorrow to AOC to find out to whom they distribute the 120mm fans to.
Last edited by loren_brothers on Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loren_brothers

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:14 pm

copy of e-mail sent to AOC:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sirs and/or madams:

I am a member of the SilentPCReview (SPCR) forums and I have to say that the Evercool Aluminum fans have quite a fan club there.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/

There is just one itsy-bitsy teeny-weenie problem! It is almost impossible to find them, much less buy them! According to Evercool you are their main distributor. I was just wondering if it would be possible to get a list of resellers (retailers) from you who carry the Aluminum fans? In particular the 120mm series. I am most interested in the "FAN-AL12025B-AB" but I have never seen it anywhere for sale. I also have never seen any of their '2-ball bearing' fans which they claim to make: reason?

Many the forum members would also love to have this information! Is there any chance one of your sales reps, when they get bored, could go to the Forum and post to the members?? There is a quite lengthy thread going on there under "fans and cooling" which should show our degree of interest! There is also a room dedicated to "sales and vendors". http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=5 Many well known manufacturers make use of this service!

Several of the members have also used the Evercool Aluminum fans for various mods to CPU heatsink/fan combos and to PSUs. In particular: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11827. VERY SHARP!

ALAS! All this is to naught if we have trouble finding the beasties! Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Loren R. Brothers
Orion Creative Works
P.O. Box 2684
Friday Harbor, WA 98250

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully we will get a visit from a rep sometime soon! :D

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:02 am

Cool :).

I am contemplating on doing something similar to Titan (which seems to be their European disti).

They're great fans, by all appearances. I've personally found the fans that I wanted, but getting the ones with these grills might be an even better way.

Unfortunately, no way to tell with on-line e-tailers on whether we're getting the same grills.

I do wonder though, what on earth the bracket is supposed to be for... :shock:

But all the other bits? Looks GREAT :).

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:42 pm

Just something to add about the Evercool Aluminum fan. I got one from frozencpu.com and has the AOC logo on it. But the specs are the Medium version of the fan.

Anyways, I have it hookedup to a Sunbeam Rheobus and when I undervolt it to around 5 volts, I'm guessing, I hear a really weird sound coming out of it, which I think is bearing noise. The sound is kind of like if you open a cupboard door with creaky hinges.

Keep in mind I'm not sure if it's 5 volts, but it's in the Red on the rheobus because when it's at 7 volts (blue light) the air noise is overbearing so I never keep it there.

Has anyone else been hearing this around 4-6 volts? I haven't ran it more than a few seconds at 7 volts, besides I don't think I can hear it over the air noise anyways.

Another weird thing is I just got a VGA silencer on my 9600xt and the bearing noise seems to have quieted down? Must be my mind. :)

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:06 pm

mynameisyoung wrote:Anyways, I have it hookedup to a Sunbeam Rheobus and when I undervolt it to around 5 volts, I'm guessing, I hear a really weird sound coming out of it, which I think is bearing noise. The sound is kind of like if you open a cupboard door with creaky hinges.
Are you sure the fan is spinning when you hear this? Many fans squeal when they're stalled.

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it is, because I've had this fan stall before and it makes no noise.

It actually squeels when it starts up from the stall though, when I add more voltage.

And the squeel is actually pretty random, it's not constant.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:34 am

Hmmm - having received the fans, I've a few minor grievances with them. (Not used them yet, so noise isn't one of them)

1 - The Titan 120mm aluminium ones I've received, while being 3-wire fans, aren't quite as "feature rich" as loren_brothers "update" posted higher up.

It'd have been quite convenient to have the wire-guard included ... now, I have to go out and get them.

2 - The screws are just too darn short, and they don't seem to be considering the possibility that people will want to "reverse" mount the fans as an intake-fan for the chassis. Off to buying longer screws in a few minutes...

3 - (more professional than anything), it doesn't indicate in which direction the fan turns, nor in which direction the air flows. Not that it's a hard guess to make, it's just a "little" thing which I think my 92mm Panaflo makes look quite well :).

4 - these things are HUGE :). Not that it's a big problem to remove the plastic holders of my chassis which were meant to hold "normal" plastic 120 mm fans, but ... wow :). Talk about massive. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

Can't wait for the setup to start working ... *sighs* :). Want my PSU ... and the right dampening kit, while I'm at it :).

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:13 am

Incidentally, for those who have problems mounting the buggers.

You *CAN* use Bluefront's interesting idea of (ab)using cable-ties to mount these critters. I was having so much frustration trying to get the right screw for these things, which would not sick out of the case, and had no luck.

In the end, looking at my box of cableties, I'd recalled reading something from Bluefront, and a few minutes later - successfully mounted my fans.

Handy stuff that :). And as cheap as they are, you can sacrifice a few easily :).

loren_brothers

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:09 am

LOL shathal

well... how about a "update" update?

I have been in contact with a retailer on the subject and I will get back to everyone when I know more. I am really trying to find a source for the "FAN-AL12025B-AB" kit. If I chase some up I will purchase a good quantity of them and make them availiable to anyone here who asks.

It seems AOC has shined-off my request for info....bummer! :cry: But I never say, "never". :wink:

Wish me luck!

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:08 pm

Picked up an Evercool EC12025M12BA (Plastic frame/Two ball bearing) at Comp USA today. They have the AL model also. They are packaged under the Comp USA name, but have the Evercool lable on the back of the fan with model number etc. This will replace the stock Sonata rear fan.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:31 am

PhilC wrote:Picked up an Evercool EC12025M12BA (Plastic frame/Two ball bearing) at Comp USA today. They have the AL model also. They are packaged under the Comp USA name, but have the Evercool lable on the back of the fan with model number etc. This will replace the stock Sonata rear fan.
Be sure to post your results when you get it running.

What are the CompUSA part numbers for those fans?

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:46 am

Incidentally, are your fans 2-ball bearing?

My (medium speed / 2000 revs) fans are both 1-ball bearing.

Is Titan being a slacker?

*sniffles* :'(

Wahhh - we get the subpar stuff ... no grill, no 2nd ball bearing... ah well... :)

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:05 pm

Ralf, the Comp USA part# is EQ40221B and the SKU# is 296209 for the plastic frame model. I don't have the Comp USA numbers for the AL model, but I did see the Evercool name on the side of the fan frame. The prices are $14.99 for the plastic frame and $19.99 for the AL frame.

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but will post results as soon as I get it in.

PhilC

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:32 am

PhilC wrote:Ralf, the Comp USA part# is EQ40221B and the SKU# is 296209 for the plastic frame model.
Thanks! Now all I have to do is get off my lazy ass and go find some.

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Sat May 01, 2004 1:29 pm

I just picked up one of these Evercool's at CompUSA earlier. I got the aluminum version with 2 ball bearings.

I have to say, this thing can seriously move some air at top speed, although it's noisy. But when I tone it down to the bottom of my Vantec Nexus's voltage range, it's much quieter. It still has a louder hum than the Acoustifan I'm using for exhaust.

This in an Acousticase 6607 btw.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sat May 01, 2004 2:54 pm

get a fanmate in between so you get it down below 5V, then you will be much more pleased with it:)

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 am

Got the Evercool 120mm installed yesterday, replacing the stock Sonata Antec. The noise level seems just alittle quieter than the Antec, but it certainly moves more air. Now I am hearing the PSU fan over everything else. I guess this the way things work. Quiet down one thing and what you didn't hear before suddenly becomes the issue.
PhilC

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 02, 2004 1:26 pm

PhilC wrote:Got the Evercool 120mm installed yesterday, replacing the stock Sonata Antec. The noise level seems just alittle quieter than the Antec, but it certainly moves more air. Now I am hearing the PSU fan over everything else. I guess this the way things work. Quiet down one thing and what you didn't hear before suddenly becomes the issue.
PhilC
You are planning on undervolting it to 5-7V, right?

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun May 02, 2004 2:22 pm

Right now I'm just running it off the fan only molex on the PSU. It runs between 1100 to 1450 rpm. I'll try a fan mate on it in a few days to see the difference. There seems to be more air moving noise than the original Antec, but then again this fan is moving more air.

BTW can anyone give me a link to the Antec 380s fan mod? I've tried to find the thread to no avail.
Thanks
PhilC

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun May 02, 2004 2:27 pm

Right now I'm just running it off the fan only molex on the PSU. It runs between 1100 to 1450 rpm. I'll try a fan mate on it in a few days to see the difference. There seems to be more air moving noise than the original Antec, but then again this fan is moving more air.

BTW can anyone give me a link to the Antec 380s fan mod? I've tried to find the thread to no avail.
Thanks
PhilC

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Sun May 02, 2004 6:43 pm

Even turned all the way down on my fan controller, this thing makes a pretty loud hum. It's easily the loudest thing in my case, my Acoustifan turned way down is basically silent, as is my Zalman 7000 Cu and VGA silencer. But this thing, even when turned way down, makes a pretty good hum. I'm thinking of returning it, it cost $20, and for $7 more I can have another Acoustifan.

gabeyd

Post by gabeyd » Fri May 07, 2004 7:50 pm

loren_brothers wrote:LOL shathal

well... how about a "update" update?

I have been in contact with a retailer on the subject and I will get back to everyone when I know more. I am really trying to find a source for the "FAN-AL12025B-AB" kit. If I chase some up I will purchase a good quantity of them and make them availiable to anyone here who asks.
I saw these at Micro Center (in the store in Santa Clara, CA) for $15.99. They have the part number you list above. But I was a little sceptical because it says aluminum "frame" fan. Does that mean the fan itself is not aluminum? Or is that how all of them are? It does look just like the packaging you have a picture of above.

Looks like you can get them from microcenter online too: http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0137077

I didn't buy one, becase my case only has 80mm fan mounts - I'm just researching my next case, which will probably use 120mm.