120mm Evercool Aluminium Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:09 am

JVM wrote: For someone who wants quietness, would the stock Antec rear case fan be a better choice than the Evercool?
I found the Evercool quieter and moves more air. the stock fan has faint chirps, moves less air, has a slight "drone" resonance --> possible not from the fan itself but caused by it, since I can only hear this from the front.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:10 am

JVM wrote: I'll have to check and see how those screws will fit through the holes in my Sonata. I was planning to use a 120mm fan washer. Did you mount the fan straight in or use something in between?
Please read the thread :)

rp

Post by rp » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:33 am

Just FYI if you're in Scandinavia and don't know a dealer with these fans.

http://www.bsmultimedia.dk in Denmark has them under the Titan label, in 80, 92 and 120mm models. All of them the "M" version.

Elliot
Patron of SPCR

Post by Elliot » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:11 pm

I finally bought a multimeter and measured my Evercool. It starts reliably at 4.5V. Anything below that is a nogo. At 4.5V MBM reports 900-920 RPM. The only thing I can hear is the moving air. No mechanical noise whatsoever, even if I put my ear right next to it.

Great fan!!

bonus: it's cheaper than 120mm L1A

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:27 pm

I have two of these and am not greatly impressed. However, I have not installed one in a case yet. Hold that thought.

I just received an Enermax UC-12FAB-B, which is well spoken of here, and it sounded pretty good, so I put it in the Antec P160 I just took delivery of today. In the case, installed with Anti-Vib fan fasteners, aka "Rubber Sticks" from Directron (the EAR fasters will not work with this fan - they aren't long enough), even undervolted to 1054 RPM, there is an audible vibration coming from the case. I think this is more related to the case than the fan, but nevertheless, this is certainly not a harmonious combination.

The Evercool fan is really heavy. That has been well discusssed. When it's running in free air, I feel no vibration at all (but there is some bearing noise). I am optimistic that the Evercool will be more successful in this beer can, er, I mean, case than the Enermax because of it's greater mass.

I think two of the Evercool fans weight about as much as the P160 case, and that isn't all THAT much of an exaggeration!

I'll be back with the results...

David

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:49 am

haysdb wrote:I have two of these and am not greatly impressed. However, I have not installed one in a case yet. Hold that thought.

I just received an Enermax UC-12FAB-B, which is well spoken of here, and it sounded pretty good, so I put it in the Antec P160 I just took delivery of today. In the case, installed with Anti-Vib fan fasteners, aka "Rubber Sticks" from Directron (the EAR fasters will not work with this fan - they aren't long enough), even undervolted to 1054 RPM, there is an audible vibration coming from the case. I think this is more related to the case than the fan, but nevertheless, this is certainly not a harmonious combination.

The Evercool fan is really heavy. That has been well discusssed. When it's running in free air, I feel no vibration at all (but there is some bearing noise). I am optimistic that the Evercool will be more successful in this beer can, er, I mean, case than the Enermax because of it's greater mass.

I think two of the Evercool fans weight about as much as the P160 case, and that isn't all THAT much of an exaggeration!

I'll be back with the results...

David
Ahh, but soon will be the new Nexus 120mm case fan - and then we will see...

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:02 am

JVM wrote:Ahh, but soon will be the new Nexus 120mm case fan - and then we will see...
The 80mm Nexus is my 80mm fan of choice, so I am happy to hear that a 120mm version is on the way.

David

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:49 pm

haysdb wrote:
JVM wrote:Ahh, but soon will be the new Nexus 120mm case fan - and then we will see...
The 80mm Nexus is my 80mm fan of choice, so I am happy to hear that a 120mm version is on the way.

David
Actually there is a 92 and 120mm on the way.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:54 pm

JVM wrote:Actually there is a 92 and 120mm on the way.
That is very good news indeed.

8)

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:10 am

Anyone know if this fan http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH is the same as the Evercool? The mfg part number listed by CompUSA (EQ40222B) doesn't seem to match the one listed by Evercool but I read in an early post that someone found the Evercool at CompUSA and the price seems the same as what they saw.

luap

Post by luap » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:37 am

i replaced the stock antec sonata 120mm fan in two sonatas with
evercool 120's(the 2000rpm@12v model). connected to fan mates,
running at 5v, i'm happy with them- no odd noises. i found them at micro center.
i went to ace hardware and bought some long thin machine bolts/nuts,
and some small rubber grommets. mounted to case just fine.
in the process, i stepped on one of the removed antec fans and broke
the fan mount bars, but not the exterior frame. what to do with it?
i unmounted the evercool, put the antec fan frame(minus fan innards) between the case and the evercool, and found i had a pretty good duct.
because i use the zalman alcu7000 hsf, its a very tight squeeze, so i only ran for a few minutes, and then removed the "duct". i'd say ducting the evercool this way reduced air noise enough to make it worthwhile,
if you've broken out any 120mm fans, and if you have room.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:46 am

PretzelB wrote:Anyone know if this fan http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH is the same as the Evercool? The mfg part number listed by CompUSA (EQ40222B) doesn't seem to match the one listed by Evercool but I read in an early post that someone found the Evercool at CompUSA and the price seems the same as what they saw.
It IS an Evercool. Notice how they have the label facing AWAY from the camera in that picture? If you buy one, it is labeled Evercool. COMPUSA just puts their own number on it when packaging it.

Actually, if you look on the side of the fan (while in it's packaging) you will see another marker that says Evercool on it.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:04 pm

Shadowknight wrote:
PretzelB wrote:Anyone know if this fan http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH is the same as the Evercool? The mfg part number listed by CompUSA (EQ40222B) doesn't seem to match the one listed by Evercool but I read in an early post that someone found the Evercool at CompUSA and the price seems the same as what they saw.
It IS an Evercool. Notice how they have the label facing AWAY from the camera in that picture? If you buy one, it is labeled Evercool. COMPUSA just puts their own number on it when packaging it.

Actually, if you look on the side of the fan (while in it's packaging) you will see another marker that says Evercool on it.
Yes, and if You look at this Titan fan, You'll see even more resemblance. Even the CFM is identical...

Cheers,

Jan

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:46 pm

but the listed noice and the powerdraw is different. It says <30 resp. 4,03 (I belive) on the Evercool-units

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:27 am

Great. So I can easily drive to CompUSA at get this fan??!! I don't need this temptation!!

I'm curious why this fan is so good. Is the weight or the fact it's aluminum? Would the same fan made in plastic do the same job (and be cheaper)?

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:10 am

I´d suggest it is to some part both (naturely!:) The aluminium serves to dampen the vibrations caust be the spinning of the fan, and then of course, the motor must very silent.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:25 pm

Just to drag this out more I have two more questions.

Is this the same fan? http://www.svc.com/12aocalframc.html

Also, can you run a bolt thru the fan holes? I typically use nuts and bolts from Home Depot with some rubber washers to absorb the noise. I read some of the previous posts where the holes on this fan were a bit different.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:39 am

Bugger: just got one from PCCG, they sent me the high speed version I think.

This thing is WAY too loud. way way way too loud.

if you want airflow, it's really good, but i want silence and this fan is simply not suited for the job. and it doesn't reliably start at 5v, need 6-7v :(

I'm going to be selling this fan as soon as the rest of my watercooling equipment comes in. I'll use the bqe's stock rear case fan as the radiator fan, I was going to use this one but as I said, it's just too loud.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:54 am

okey, so the highspeed version is not as good as the "medium". I have run through three of those now and all three of the displays the same characteristics. Dead quiet at 4-5v...

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:04 pm

actually i'm not too sure which speed version i have. the box doesn't give any indication, it just tells a little bit about the L, the M and the H specifications.

is there some distinguishing feature on the label? (on the fan)?

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:22 pm

The label shold say 12025H12(X) If it is a highspeed-fan and 12025M12(X) if it is a medium.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:26 pm

chylld wrote:Bugger: just got one from PCCG, they sent me the high speed version I think.

This thing is WAY too loud. way way way too loud.

if you want airflow, it's really good, but i want silence and this fan is simply not suited for the job. and it doesn't reliably start at 5v, need 6-7v :(

I'm going to be selling this fan as soon as the rest of my watercooling equipment comes in. I'll use the bqe's stock rear case fan as the radiator fan, I was going to use this one but as I said, it's just too loud.
I've been sent the M version also by SVC. I thought it was way too loud to be recommended. Now I know why. Next time I won't buy one unless I can confirm the label. I have it hooked up to my new sunbeam controller so I can turn it down at least. But, it's probably not that much better than my Titan fans and they were only $5.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:48 am

AFAIK, Titan and Evercool are the same fan. My Aluminium Titan is certainly exactly the same fan (the housing is different obviously) as my Evercool.

mindwalker

Post by mindwalker » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:46 pm

Can someone tell me where in the USA I can purchase the Medium version of this fan?
Also, what kind of power connector does it use, a 3 pin or a 4 pin Molex? Some posts
in this thread mention RPM monitoring but thr link I followed to PCCaseGear in
Australia shows a 4 pin molex which doesnt support RPM monitoring that I know of.

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:01 am

the high speed one i got from pc case gear uses a 3pin connector and it has rpm monitoring. it follows that low and medium speed versions should be the same.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:23 am

mindwalker wrote:Can someone tell me where in the USA I can purchase the Medium version of this fan?
Also, what kind of power connector does it use, a 3 pin or a 4 pin Molex? Some posts
in this thread mention RPM monitoring but thr link I followed to PCCaseGear in
Australia shows a 4 pin molex which doesnt support RPM monitoring that I know of.
Mine came from SVC.

luap

Post by luap » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:17 am

i got my evercool 120's (mediums, 2000rpm @12v) from microcenter,
both rigged with 3 pin connectors, but were packaged with 3 pin to 4 pin
adaptors.

in regards to how these mount- the evercool mounting holes line up
perfectly with the stock sonata case fan mounting holes.

i cut out some soft foam "gaskets" and mounted evercool-gasket-case.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:51 am

mindwalker wrote:Can someone tell me where in the USA I can purchase the Medium version of this fan?
Directron.

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:31 pm

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:35 pm

michaelb wrote:on sale here:

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/produc ... uctid=1497
$6.99 +$5.21 shipping
Is this the quiet version? ("low speed" or whatever)