Panaflo clicking

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ColdFlame

Panaflo clicking

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:55 pm

I got 4 Panaflo L1A from NewEgg on 2 different occasions. They exhibit clicking noise at 12v (but not at 7v). Is this to be expected?

I saw a thread which said that "Made in China" Panaflos are junk or something. Is this true? Mine are made in China. What is a good source for Panaflos? Directron?

Thanks!

nap_loaf

Post by nap_loaf » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:40 pm

What sizes are your Panaflos? I have 2 80mm ones from Japan and a 92mm from China, all of which I'm happy with, plus a 120mm one from China which clicks.

Most fans (except maybe the 80mm Nexus) are too loud to be run at 12V anyway, so if your fans don't click at 7V I'd say they're still useful.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:06 pm

I have 80mm ones. I was under impression they are not supposed to click even at 12v. And they _are_ quiet at 12v and I'm not that deaf :)

bobdoe

Post by bobdoe » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:13 pm

I recently ordered 3 panaflo 80 mm L1As from directron. Two out of three of the fans click while on high settings near 10-12 volts. It gets a lot better if you turn it down just a little so their still usable.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:36 pm

So does it mean that basically Panaflos became junk and I have to start trying other fans like Evercool or there is something I don't understand? :)

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:06 pm

Seem to remember comments regarding the origin of manufacture for Panaflos affecting their noise level. IIRC, the Japan ones are better than the China fans.

Then again, I might be having a huge brain fart on this one. <shrug>

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm

Well, here it is almost two months later... I just ordered a Panaflo 80mm L1A from Directron a couple days ago. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, and meanwhile I'm just seriously hoping mine doesn't click at full voltage, cause I need all that 24CFM of airflow. I already have a Nexus Real Silent fan, which will be my reference standard. If the Panaflo is much worse, I'll be really angry. :twisted:

I've been reviewing the forums here, and it from everything I've read, it sounds like Panasonic Industrial has been doing a phased transition to China, and the 80mm fans were the last to go. It also sounds like the ones coming out of China actually have some minor technical improvements over the ones from Japan, but it also sounds like they have been a bit spotty on quality control. However, it also sounds like the hope is that this will gradually change as they ramp up their production.

I am wondering--can anyone else comment on this clicking issue? I am just hoping Panaflo isn't going the same way as Papst. It would be a real pity if they were.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:19 am

See my other post "Newegg and Panaflo". I managed to get 24v fans and was running them at 12v (and also at 10v :oops: ). The were clicking. But I guess it is not very relevant granted those were 24v fans :oops: :oops: :oops:

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:26 am

Interesting. Yeah--I almost thought of getting some Panaflos at NewEgg, but I happened to notice that they were 24 volts before I bought them... I always thought it was strange that they were offering the 24 volt version--I never did understand why. I notice NewEgg seems to be phasing out Panaflos altogether now though, which seems like a pity.

Then again, if this clicking problem IS the way of their future, maybe it isn't such a bad thing that they're discontinuing them.

Mainly, I'm wondering if this is STILL a problem, or if the clicking seems to be clearing up. Anyone know?

gustavs_a

Post by gustavs_a » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:13 pm

Just received a Panaflo L1A a few days ago, made in China. It clicks too.

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:39 pm

Canadian Corner: my two Panaflo L's (FBA08A12L) from Bigfoot Computers a month ago are made in Japan. Would like to mention that I'm very happy with Bigfoot -- low shipping costs, good deals on Zalman and ThermalRight.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:43 pm

I might be the only one, but all the Panaflo fans I've ever used exhibit some form of clicking behavior. It really only matters in a very quiet system though.

I stopped using Panaflo fans some time ago, and would be surprised if they had changed very much since then.

8)

aston

Post by aston » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:27 pm

DanceMan wrote:Canadian Corner: my two Panaflo L's (FBA08A12L) from Bigfoot Computers a month ago are made in Japan. Would like to mention that I'm very happy with Bigfoot -- low shipping costs, good deals on Zalman and ThermalRight.
You're lucky. I just bought 4 of them from Bigfoot and they're made in China. They click at 7v, but not at 5v, which is what I'm going to run them at, thankfully.

And yeah, Bigfoot rocks. I ordered my fans tailed with molex, but they accidentally tailed them with 3-pin connectors... once I told them, they immediately sent adapters for the fans. They screwed up, but they done good to rectify the problem.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:22 pm

al bundy wrote:I might be the only one, but all the Panaflo fans I've ever used exhibit some form of clicking behavior. It really only matters in a very quiet system though.

I stopped using Panaflo fans some time ago, and would be surprised if they had changed very much since then.

8)
Just out of curiosity, what fans do you now use instead?
aston wrote:You're lucky. I just bought 4 of them from Bigfoot and they're made in China. They click at 7v, but not at 5v, which is what I'm going to run them at, thankfully.
Well, I just got an L1A from Directron, and it's made in Japan. It does not click--at least, not to the point where it's noticeable outside the case. I'm running mine at the full 12 volts. At any lower voltage, it just doesn't move enough air.

I am really getting worried now that Panaflo may be going the way of Papst with this clicking on the ones they're now making in China. :cry:

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:23 am

zuperdee wrote:
al bundy wrote:I might be the only one, but all the Panaflo fans I've ever used exhibit some form of clicking behavior. It really only matters in a very quiet system though.

8)
Just out of curiosity, what fans do you now use instead?
For 80mm I personally have been using the Nexus Real Silent fans (like you), but I'm hearing some really good things lately about those new Acoustifans...

8)

aston

Post by aston » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:20 am

zuperdee wrote: Well, I just got an L1A from Directron, and it's made in Japan. It does not click--at least, not to the point where it's noticeable outside the case. I'm running mine at the full 12 volts. At any lower voltage, it just doesn't move enough air.
It's a tradeoff, I guess. It's true my 5v Panaflos don't move much air, but at 7v-12v it becomes audible.

Slippery slope, I guess... once the 12v Panaflo became the loudest thing in my system, it had to go. :)