L1A at 12v or U1A at 7v

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

L1A at 12v or U1A at 7v

Post by PretzelB » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:45 am

Has anyone seen a report on the specs for a Panaflo L1A running at 12v versus a U1A running at 7v? Right now I have the U1A on my cpu and it's too loud at 12v. I was thinking of replacing it with a L1A but I wasn't sure if it would really make a difference. I don't have any spare L1As so I'm basically trying to save some cash by finding a review where someone has done this before.

My instincts tell me that undervolting an U1A should give me results comparable to an L1A. However, most everyone here has fan controllers and they still prefer to get the L1A so maybe I'm wrong.

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:28 am

I don't have any experience with a U1A but I had the same question with an H1A and L1A on my cpu cooler. I found that the noise characteristics of the two fans were very different. Even at 5v the H1A wasn't silent or even all that quiet, while I could get the L1A much quieter at about the same CPU temp.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:37 am

Assuming linear fan characteristics (close to the truth) you would need to run the U1A at about 6.4V to be comparable with the L1A @12V in speed.
This is far away from what the U1A was design for, so you should not expect it to run as silent as the L1A will at 12V.
Also most people here would consider the L1A way too loud at 12V.

The general idea is to get a good fan that is close to the speed you want in the first place, then you can undervolt to get it even more quiet.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:23 am

A long while ago I bought some H1As and did a subjective comparison to the L1As: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=2990

Most likely the noise of the electronics will be much louder than that of the L1A...