Okaya fanless 350W PSU?!?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

xarope

Okaya fanless 350W PSU?!?

Post by xarope » Fri May 21, 2004 2:42 pm

Here's something from a local shop, who often brings neat stuff in to singapore from Japan:

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/n ... php?id=595

anybody heard of an Okaya before?

These guys are also the ones I may be getting my Lian Li PC6077 from.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat May 22, 2004 12:48 am

How much are they asking for one of those?

8)

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sat May 22, 2004 11:05 am

It seams to be labeled as Yesico in Europe and there is a 420W version also.

It is sold here(.be; Is that belgium?)

And here's a translated review!

EDIT: SPCR has to review this one ASAP! :wink:

EDIT2: Check out their website for many other distriburtors! Denmark is the closest one for me..

Review 2

Translated Review 3

Translated Review 4

Tanslated Review 5

xarope

Post by xarope » Sat May 22, 2004 6:24 pm

I'll try to find out pricing, haven't had a chance to go down to the shop yet, probably sometime next week during one of my lunchtime forays.

ScrollLock

Just bought it...

Post by ScrollLock » Sat May 22, 2004 11:48 pm

I just bought and installed this PSU.

The price here in Singapore is an expensive SGD 299. For reference, a FSP350-60PN costs SGD 79.

The PSU was imported from Japan, the shop had to swap the power cable and switch the PSU to 230V.
The text on the box is fully in Japanese, there was no manual in the box. The manufacturer is Otonashi, website is listed as http://www.oec.okaya.co.jp/
The model number is OTN-400WOF

The box seems to list supported CPUs: Intel Pentium IV 3.2GHz (L2=512K), Athlon XP 3200+ and Athlon 64 3400+

The cables are about the same length as the FSP350. It has 1 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX 12V, 6-pin AUX, 6 Molex for 3.5" drives, 2 Floppy Molex and 2 SATA connectors.

Supply lines:
+3.3 20A (30A max)
+5 30A (45A max)
+12 18A (25A max)
-5 0.3A
-12 0.5A (0.8A max)
+5SB 2A (2.6A max)

Combined allowed power +3.3 and +5: 180W
Combined allowed power +3.3, +5 and +12: 279W

Unfortunately the efficency is not mentioned, neither could I find out whether it has any kind of PFC (should have asked in the shop...).

The PSU is slightly longer than the FSP350: 162mm.
The heatsink on the back measures 63 x 70mm.
Beside the heatsink. the backpanel holds a power socket, a voltage selector and a on/off switch.

The PSU is currently running in a rather low power system: Pentium IV 2.8C with 1GB RAM, 1 Samsung 80GB HDD, 1 DVD-burner, i865 on-board graphics on a Gigabyte motherboard.
The cooling is provided by a Zalman 7000 heatsink at 5V and a very low spinning 12cm fan directed to the HDD. The side panel is removed due to the fact that the system was quieter in that way (the fan of the FSP350 spinned up too quickly; it's hot here in Singapore...)

Since I've started this post I've ran 2 instances of CPU-burn. The PSU is now warm, but not excessively hot (neither the heatsink on the back nor the rest of the case). Actually it is about as hot as the FSP350 was in such a situation, when it's fan spinned up to an annoyingly loud level. I'm impressed!
[I am unable to provide case/HDD/CPU temperatures as I am running Linux and have not bothered installing measurement software]

The PSU is absolutely silent. There is a very,very faint buzzing emerging from it, but it can be only heared when the ear is closer than 5cm from the PSU case. At my seating position, about 50cm away from the case, it is absolutely inaudible (but I can still hear the fans at this position, unless I type on the keyboard :-)

Warranty is 1 year, but I honestly hope I won't need it as I wonder how long it will take to get a repair/replacement from Japan...

So far I am impressed, replacing the FSP350 with the OTN-400WOF has quietened my computer down quite another bit.

your happy buyer, ScrollLock

xarope

Post by xarope » Sun May 23, 2004 9:15 pm

Thanks for the info, ScrollLock. I work at Suntec, so I sometimes walk down to SLS during lunchtime, but it's a hot walk back!

What's your opinion of using this in a 24x7 system? I have a silenx 400W w/Barton XP2500+ (not M version unfortunately), but the silenx does run hot, and heats up the room, which would be nice if I was in Sydney in autumn/winter, but it is Singapore so I end up having to turn on the air-con when I'm in the study.

You think the fanless design would require an external fan blowing on it?

Xman

Post by Xman » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:34 pm

I plan to buy Yesico 420 watt fanless PSU but have read that usually such PSU should work at temperature not above 25 with and at the greater heating they can lose power to give out her less :(

Also it is rather strange that on a site there is no engineering specifications on PSU not clear where also by whom it{he} is made in Germany or on Taiwan, that is simple if in Germany as a rule quality of the German goods very high!

http: // sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/newsview.php? id=595
Before I have found this link I thought that it is only German firm! Now I doubt what that OKAYA not clearly who for whom releases this PSU :roll:

Xman

Post by Xman » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:43 pm

ScrollLock
It turns out that for yesico.de this PSU are made by the Japanese firm okaya?
http://www.oec.okaya.co.jp
Also they are produced too in Japan? Japanese too are able to make excellent electronics!