Chenbro announces the Gaming Bomb II

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

danielvh

Chenbro announces the Gaming Bomb II

Post by danielvh » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:35 am

In its first forray into the highend PC enthusiest/gaming arena Chenbro announced an all aluminium case called the Chenbro Gaming Bomb II.

Some features include:
- Removeable motherboard tray
- Toolless installation of 5.25" and FDD devices
- HDD installation that can be configured so that the HDDs face into the case or rotated 90 degrees like the Antec P160
- Front and back 120mm fans.
- Top 92mm blowhole
- Cable routing and hiding system for PSU cables
- removable handles for carrying the case
- Rubber grometts for HDD mounting

Full PDF here: http://www.extremereviews.net/GBIIPR.pdf

Pics:
http://www.extremereviews.net/php/view. ... omb_inside
http://www.extremereviews.net/php/view. ... omb2_light
http://www.extremereviews.net/php/view. ... omb2_black
http://www.extremereviews.net/php/view. ... mb2_silver

Tell me what you guys think from silence persepective.

Daniel

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:30 am

Looks a bit G5-ish

The good points are the 120 mm fans in front and back. I can't get really excited about the top 92 mm exhaust (adds to much noise) but on the other hand this could be used to make a psu duct.

The hdd bay seems to have stnd rubber o'rings to mount the hdd, so thats good as well.

The side window doesnt really work for me but might appeal to the case modding enthousiasts out there.

How rattle free it is remains to be seen. Can't really tell from a picture. But maybe we can confince MikeC to request a sample as well.

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:42 am

The looks are right on. If there is a version without a window is will actually look very stylish ala Coolermaster or Lian Li. If the external drivebays are hidden behind the aluminium plates this will be a killer looking case. From the looks and specs alone this looks like a great case for the LAN community and I would recommend it, but lets see a review first.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:51 pm

Hello:

It does look nice -- the only point of concern I have is the exhaust fan grill; it doesn't look very open. I would prefer large hexagons, but maybe in aluminum, they would bend too easily?

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:39 pm

... That case is HOT!

Forget Antec... That is one sexy case. And it has many features of a quiet case... Cable hiding, PSU duct hole, 120 front AND back... Tooless... And the return of the elusive REMOVEABLE MOBO TRAY!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:42 pm

aluminum? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:21 pm

lol mike. Im amazed at the *buzz* aluminum cases generate in spcr forums considering how much better steel is. ;)

I wish it was steel :|

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:43 am

Much better looking than the orginal gaming bomb.

I don't care for the handles or the top blow hole.

I do like being able to mount the HD's front to back, I don't like side to side HD mounts at all.

danielvh

Post by danielvh » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:33 am

Forgot to mention that the handles are removable (held in place by standard screws).

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:12 am

Ooooh very shtylee! So much prettier than the original gaming bomb. Shame its aluminium :cry:

I notice that the feet on the bottom raise the case off the floor by about an inch...potential for some diy bottom intake vents maybe?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:09 pm

No case is born silent. But I agree, it's HOT (except the window).

I'm still thinking about that last LianLi review; if Ubars around the doors could eliminate Alu vibrations, then this case might also have a chance...

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:38 pm

I love the looks. Its a shame its Aluminium :( My case is aluminium, although with considerable time and effort it is now quiet. I don't think I want to go through that process again when they are some nice new steel cases out there :)

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 290#102290

sorenbro

Post by sorenbro » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:05 am

Isn't the only down to aluminium the vibration issue?

If you carefully mount low rpm 120mm fans with rubbermounting and Suspend the harddrive, then there isn't much left to vibrate, is there?

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:16 am

Yeah, aluminium cases have a tendancy to vibrate. You can decouple your case fans, and that helps a lot. However, there are still issues with vibration. The HSF vibrations are passed into the mobo, and then into the case. Also, the PSU will pass its vibrations into the case, unless you have been lucky enough to have enough room to decouple the PSU fans. HDD(s) will have to be suspended of course - assuming you want the best results.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:16 pm

http://www.extremereviews.net/data.php? ... ype=review

Heres them making the xpider case uglier which is quite an achievement considering how ugly the first one was. What a shame.

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:41 am

tay wrote:http://www.extremereviews.net/data.php? ... ype=review

Heres them making the xpider case uglier which is quite an achievement considering how ugly the first one was. What a shame.
Cant believe that someone actually designed such an abomination, let alone approve it!

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:14 am

I don't like that case either. I've not actually heard of anyone that did like the first one. There must be some market segment out there that we are not aware of. If not, you would have thought they would have learned from the first one :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:59 am

luminous wrote:I don't like that case either. I've not actually heard of anyone that did like the first one. There must be some market segment out there that we are not aware of.
There certainly is. It's the same people who buy those Thermaltake abortions and all those horrific Alienware knockoffs. Remember, there's no accounting for bad taste, and there seems to be plenty of it in the computer industry.

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 am

I think with the first one, it was a case of you either love it or hate it, with this new one I cant see any loving!

Strangely enough, Evesham Micros (a well-known PC manufacturer in the UK) have standardised on the first Gaming Bomb case - must be for its decent airflow :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:46 am

OK -- here's a vote for the first one: I like the blue and grey versions, the colors are muted enough for the silly "spyder" design to quickly fade from awareness. The internal design & sturdiness is very good.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:20 am

NOOOOoooooooo we've lost MikeC!!! Someone has come along and kidnapped him. We will have to watch this replacement very carefully. Who knows what "quiet" components he will start recommending :lol:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:30 am

luminous wrote:NOOOOoooooooo we've lost MikeC!!! Someone has come along and kidnapped him. We will have to watch this replacement very carefully. Who knows what "quiet" components he will start recommending :lol:
Heh... you stumbled on to our secret! :twisted:

No matter, we have him, bound and gagged so he can finally be silent at last! Bwhhahahahahahahahaha....

Good one luminous. :wink:

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:50 am

I can well imagine several manufacturers would like to have managed to obtain his silence over the years :D Maybe you will hear nice things from them now :P

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:41 pm

MikeC wrote:OK -- here's a vote for the first one: I like the blue and grey versions, the colors are muted enough for the silly "spyder" design to quickly fade from awareness. The internal design & sturdiness is very good.
Actually, if you look at the interior pics of the Chenbro PC-610 that I recently reviewed, you'll see that the two different cases are nearly identical beneath the plastic bezel. There's not a big difference (lower front drive bay area only) between the PC-610 and it's newer cousin, the PC-611, which is what the Gaming Bomb I is built on.

So just say "NO" to the Gaming Bomb and go with the PC-610 if you're looking for a case by Chenbro.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:15 pm

I must be bored this evening. I just did a calculation for you Ralf. Its been 564 days since you first joined SPCR. To date you have made 4587 posts, which is an average of 8.1 posts every day :shock:

Now I know why you were made a moderator :D That really is an impressive dedication to this site :mrgreen: Something that we all benefit from *bows in a "we are not worthy way"*

Now I wonder if I can post 1000 post to the test area, delete them, and still keep the credit?? Maybe I'm not that bored this evening to find out :P

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Luminuous,

I wonder, if you post an identical response 3x, do you get credit for all three? :lol:

Dave

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:44 pm

Regarding vibrations, I read in another forum where a guy used shower pan liner (from Home Depot/Lowes) to dampen his aluminum case -- it's a sheet material that's used on the backside of acrylic shower stalls/tubs to dampen the sound of water and create a more "solid" feeling. I think he said that it was around a $1US/sq. ft.

Anyone have any experience with it? I'm thinking about giving it a try on my Kanam Accent HT-400 HTPC case (which has a very flimsy aluminum top).

Dave

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:24 pm

How come two different cases are both named Gaming Bomb II (or Xpider II)?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:37 am

tempeteduson wrote:How come two different cases are both named Gaming Bomb II (or Xpider II)?
Chenbro's keeping the name the same for "product identification" purposes while they're changing the design of the case, kinda like AMC did in 1978 when they updated the design of the famous Pacer.

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:27 am

Or Intel, with their Pentium.

I do wonder what their marketing will think of for "Pentium 5" (or "Pentium V"?) - lends itself to look under "redundant" :).

Just name/brand recognition at its basic.