Join the SPCR Folding@Home effort

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Join the SPCR Folding@Home effort

Post by powergyoza » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:22 pm

Hey folks,

We're starting up a folding team for SPCR as a way to bring more visibility to our cause for silent computing and, of course, to allow us to help out with cancer research.

Here's some preliminary info:
Website for background & installation info, stats and download: http://folding.stanford.edu
Our team number (click for stats page): 31574

More stats: (added May 7)
http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/getlink. ... ce=folding and
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... amID=31574 (thx miker & thx for the update SW (jun 9)

If you have any installation questions, let me know!
Last edited by powergyoza on Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:17 pm

Great idea--I've been looking for a good F@H team to join for a while now!

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:13 pm

Whoo hoo! 1st unit submitted to FAH. That took us straight from nil -> #4259 in the rankings.

Break out the champaigne. :lol:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:00 pm

Rusty has joined the Forces of Silence. Perhaps I'll have to fire up ye ol' renderfarm for a couple of days to get us off to a good start. :lol:

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:46 am

Unfortunately, my folding has to compete with my gaming. :) But it's a good thing that my gaming rig is quiet enough to sleep in the same room with...

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:35 am

Fantastic idea. It never occured to me before, but when I read the headline, I thought, "About freaking time!" Consider me joined. [H] didn't need me anyway.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:03 am

Geez only 3 of us have posted completed WU's

Come on guys.

NeilBlanchard

unfortuantely, I'm already running SETI & Genome@Home

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:25 am

Hello:

I've been running SETI@Home for almost 4 years (May 22, 1999) and Genome@Home for almost 2 years (May 19, 2001). Not at the same time, mind you, but adding a 3rd distributed computing client would dilute my efforts even further. Maybe after I build a new (quiet) computer. I just priced an Athlon XP "Barton" 2800+ with Alpha PAL8045T, 512MB, 80GB Seagate SATA, D8000, Fortron w/ 120mm, etc. at about $1300... The DVD/CD-RW (Samsung) and the V.92 modem (3Com) both are supported in Linux and Windows and I'm comprimising on a Matrox G550 -- I really like dual head monitors, and it too is well supported in Linux and Win2K.

Now if I could only afford those two Samsung 191t's. ($815 each at New Egg). These are *very* nice and the frame is the narrowest that I have ever seen, so having two of them side by side has only a small separation between the screens. Sorry to have veered of topic.

toltery

Post by toltery » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:54 am

Won't a program like this raise the idle temp of your computer? Seems contrary to the silent computer idea.

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:22 am

Silent or not, we build computers to *use* them, right? :) Any computer can be silent if it's turned off all the time, and an idle computer is about as useful as one left off. Except for to take messages for me while I'm away, I suppose.

It's nice to have my system still be productive when I'm not actively running games on it. And if a quiet (if not silent) computer isn't quiet enough under full load, it probably isn't quiet enough, period. YMMV. :)

FYI, F@M does raise my "idle" temps (due to 100% CPU usage), but it's still a few degrees cooler than when I'm running a 3D game. I can't hear any noise difference with F@M on/off, but the only temperature-sensitive fan in my case is in my Nexus (the Panaflos are locked at 5V).

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:14 pm

DaShiv wrote:Silent or not, we build computers to *use* them, right? :) Any computer can be silent if it's turned off all the time, and an idle computer is about as useful as one left off. Except for to take messages for me while I'm away, I suppose.

It's nice to have my system still be productive when I'm not actively running games on it. And if a quiet (if not silent) computer isn't quiet enough under full load, it probably isn't quiet enough, period. YMMV. :)

FYI, F@M does raise my "idle" temps (due to 100% CPU usage), but it's still a few degrees cooler than when I'm running a 3D game. I can't hear any noise difference with F@M on/off, but the only temperature-sensitive fan in my case is in my Nexus (the Panaflos are locked at 5V).
Admittedly, F@H raises temps on my machine up to 5C over idle. Prolly even more if I used cpuidle. Even with this temp increase, it's really not that hard nowadays to build a fast uni-proc or even a SMP machine that is virtually silent. I mean like <=20dB @ 1m silent.

Come on everybody! Let's make it a team effort! I'm sure so many of you leave your computers on 24/7 and have o-so much untapped computing power! It's cool to be able to boast to friends and family that your computer is on all the time, busy w/ cancer research AND silent?

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:26 pm

I game on my iBook now, so I have my webserver to do folding! It's on and working now.

It crashes whenever I try to open display mode though...so I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything :!:

EDIT: My temps went up 9C over idle...it's working all right!

What is the X/600 thing? The FAQ doesn't say what it is...

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:16 pm

Ok, it's mostly working now. I calculated that I should be done with my first work unit in 19 hours...

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:59 pm

miker wrote:Geez only 3 of us have posted completed WU's

Come on guys.
Yes, my computer is a dog. And no it isn't silent (yet). Thanks for rubbing it in my face.

*sob* *sob* *sniff*

I anticipate my first work unit done...oh...about May.

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:06 pm

It's not a huge deal--I'm a pretty slow folder too. Even with my computer on 24/7, it took me 2-3 days to log my first WU in for the team. I blame Europa Universalis 2 and Freelancer. :)

Slow and steady wins the r-- well, no, actually it doesn't. But at least CPU cycles won't go through waste via idling. And that's a good thing, right?

fredster

Post by fredster » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:24 pm

Add my idle duelies to the effort as well. My pc is so blissfully quiet now because of this site, this is a great way to say thanks!

I should have something done in a day or two. :D

Fredster...

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:29 pm

Well I'm glad to see some life out there.
Fold on!

attnet

Post by attnet » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:18 pm

I would fold, but it seems that my system hopelessly maims the popup labels in explorer as a result. This is very annoying, and is consistent with different versions. Does anybody else have this problem too and/or knows the fix?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:49 pm

fredster wrote:Add my idle duelies to the effort as well. My pc is so blissfully quiet now because of this site, this is a great way to say thanks!

I should have something done in a day or two. :D

Fredster...
Thanks for joining. I'd be really interested to see your setup. Care to put some pix in the general gallery?

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:20 am

70% done with my first WU...should be done by the time I get home...

morganw

Post by morganw » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:28 am

I wish the work units were a little smaller. I know that puts more load on the servers receiving the results, but an all-night run only got me to 100 of 600 iterations in a WU.

At least you can resume a WU in progress.

I have my DigiDoc 5 set with low thresholds so I'll catch a problem before it gets out of hand, so I don't like to leave the thing running when I'm not home. Maybe when I get a fire-retardant baffle-- my current one is made of foam core.

That brings up something that's been bothering me-- no fire ratings for some of the sound absorbent materials. Acousti's own site mentions fire ratings, but some of their resellers don't. I have no idea about the urethane mattress open-cell foam I'm using (which works despite the low density due to copious use) and the cork can't be safe.

I noticed that Folding warms the CPU, but not the north bridge compared with Prime95. I'm guessing this is because of heavier memory usage by Prime95. In any case, it's nice to test long term heat-handling with low-volt fans with something that's actually useful.

As my system becomes better at handling heat, it gets harder to test. WIth an SLK-900 on my Athlon, it takes forever for an idle->maxed temperature rise to stabilize. About 20 minutes now with my 92mm L1A @ 1000 RPM.

-M

fredster

Post by fredster » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:03 am

powergyoza wrote:Thanks for joining. I'd be really interested to see your setup. Care to put some pix in the general gallery?
Sure, I think I can scrounge a camera somewhere. Possibly next week. I've got almost the same setup as you - same case and mb anyway, although I'm running 1000 MPs (darn budgets!) and SCSI drives. I was very happy to find your article in particular. :wink:

Fredster...

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:22 pm

Put in my first WU! 6 people total on the SCPR team have put up a WU...twice what it was a day or two a go. Not bad!
45/400 for my next WU...

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:31 am

All right, count me in. Let's see what I can get out of my machines until they burn down :)

NeilBlanchard

2 Q's

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:32 pm

Hello:

I'm curious; is Folding@Home a non-profit organisation?

And, I'm sure I can find it in a Google search -- but can someone post a URL or 3 about Folding@Home? [edit] D'oh! I missed it! And, I've decided to give it a whirl -- I guess I'm a sucker for distributed computing. My Athlon 700 "Classic" is crunching away here in Linux as I type.

TIA
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:07 am

Neil: Powergyoza's first post in this thread has a link to the Stanford web page. As far as I understand it, F@H is not for profit. They're researching protein folding. But there's some more info on the Stanford site.

NeilBlanchard

more new q's

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:16 am

Hello:

Now that I'm running the Folding@Home Linux console, I have some questions: How many "frames" are in a (typical?) work unit? [edit] The one I'm working on now has 400 frames.

How long does your computer take to complete a (typical?) work unit, and what is your hardware? [edit] This first unit that is crunching now will take this machine approximately 60 hours to complete! [/edit] Is this a cache intensive client or does it run as well on small caches as it does on 512KB or bigger?

Is the Linux console faster than the Windows? Is there a difference between the three Windows clients in terms of speed? I'm running the Linux console on my Athlon 700 "Classic", and in roughly 14 hours it has comleted 92 frames. And is there a program that monitors the F@H client and logs the times and stats?

One last question: if you shut the client down, does it restart at the beginning of that frame, or does it pick things up precisely where it left off?
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:20 am

attnet wrote:I would fold, but it seems that my system hopelessly maims the popup labels in explorer as a result. This is very annoying, and is consistent with different versions. Does anybody else have this problem too and/or knows the fix?
Can you explain what you mean by that?

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:24 am

I can only answer some of those questions, Neil. Someone else will have to tackel the rest.

The work units are of different sizes. Some seem twice as big as others. I've seen both 100 and 200 frames in WUs.

I have an AMD 800, and it takes me 24-48 hours to complete WUs, if I leave it on all night.

No clue about the rest of your questions. There's a bit of information at the Folding for the [H]orde page which you can find on [H}ard|OCP somewhere.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:36 am

Hello WussBoy:
wussboy wrote:The work units are of different sizes. Some seem twice as big as others. I've seen both 100 and 200 frames in WUs.

I have an AMD 800, and it takes me 24-48 hours to complete WUs, if I leave it on all night.
Which client version are you running and what OS are you using? I guess my 400 frame work unit is pretty darn BIG!

If you are taking roughly 24 hours/100 frames, and the Linux client on my Athlon 700 seems to be taking ~15.5 hours/100 frames -- it seems the Linux client is faster; not too shabby to be ~25% faster on a 12.5% slower machine! :-D