Artic Cooling new version sucks

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

Artic Cooling new version sucks

Post by falcon26 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:34 pm

I got the new artic cooling fan for my x800 xt.......needless to say I am really really disappointed in these new fans......no switch to run either low or high like the old artic cooling fan for my 9800 pro and this thing has a loud click noise coming from it......its now the most noisy component in my system the stock ati fan is almost as quiet......These are cheaply built and I hope they fix the clicking noise everyone seems to have....or I'll look into another form of quiet cooling for my x800 xt......btw what are some other quiet vga coolers for ati's x800 xt series????

thanks, falcon26

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your clicking AC. I have the same problem on my X800 (IceQ II VIVO from HIS). I've been waiting for a replacement for over a month now.

I don't know what are the best other options, but I'd imagine that Zalman ZM80-D along with a really quiet 90mm or 120mm (or even 80mm) fan would do the trick.

I used that combo (actually C-model of Zalman) succesfully on Radeon 9800 Pro without any problems, but haven't tried it on X800 Pro (yet).

Kevin Anderson

Post by Kevin Anderson » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:33 am

I've re-installed my Ati Silencer 4 on my X800XTPE, atfer using a Zalman Dual Heatpipe cooler for about a month. The Zalman just didn't cool very well in my system, and it's almost Summer here. Now, the Silencer is fine, thanks to advice from one of the other posters here (can't recall the name, but thanks!). I simply didn't plug the fan into the card, and instead plugged it into a Fanmate, then into my motherboard 'Chasis fan' slot, and it's fine! No more click. Tiniest bit louder than the Zalman cooler, but works so much better. If only I had thought of this myself earlier!

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:43 am

Kevin - thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I just installed an X800 XT-PE, and it suddenly sounds like someone left a hissing tap running in my otherwise pretty silent computer. Having upgraded from an Ultimate Edition 9800 Pro with passive cooling, I don't appreciate the added noise. I had been put off the Arctic option by the fan buzz comments here and was thinking of a Zalman - your experience saved me the grief, I will go with the Arctic and just use a different fan controller (although losing the option of having your fan control being tempurature regulated does induce concerns - forget to turn the fan speed up before gaming and you could have a friend video card!)

Anyone know of a way to temperature regulate your cooler fan speed aside from using the power connector on the VGA card itself?
Last edited by Herb W. on Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:52 am

yeah i too have an arctic cooler, the NV5 the buzzing is just unbarable haha. im about to spice those wires out into a zalman fanmate. my case has pretty good airflow and i'm confident i don't need to regulate the temps that much when gaming, it may increase load temps, but a GPU can go up to 120 C
idle temp right now is 53, load is 59, so i think i would be safe to just leave it at a steady rpm.

if u want to regulate it try a fan controller that has a PVM, but make sure that PVM isn't the ones that are on video cards, or el cheapo stuff, cas cheapo PVMs are the center of all the humming and buzzing and clicking. i duno if i can recommend any, because i never used any lol. but i think someone here should know.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:01 pm

Well, just as a counterpoint, I can say pretty definitively that my new NV5 silencer is quieter than my old VGA silencer. Same system, everything else is identical, except I swapped from..

Sapphire 9800 pro -> VGA Silencer

to

Verto 6800gt --> NV5 silencer

One of the main reasons the NV5 silencer is quieter, is because that old VGA silencer developed a fairly pronounced tick over time. I hear no such ticking from the NV5.

Dunno, maybe it's the luck of the draw?

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:42 pm

i think its lucky for u cas my BFG 6800GT OC is clicking like nuts.
even when its controled by a fanmate. currently my only option is to slow the fan down until i can't hear the clicking.

wyldwynd

Post by wyldwynd » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:58 am

Kevin Anderson wrote:I've re-installed my Ati Silencer 4 on my X800XTPE, atfer using a Zalman Dual Heatpipe cooler for about a month. The Zalman just didn't cool very well in my system, and it's almost Summer here. Now, the Silencer is fine, thanks to advice from one of the other posters here (can't recall the name, but thanks!). I simply didn't plug the fan into the card, and instead plugged it into a Fanmate, then into my motherboard 'Chasis fan' slot, and it's fine! No more click. Tiniest bit louder than the Zalman cooler, but works so much better. If only I had thought of this myself earlier!
And what should those of us do who don't have any spare mobo headers? :P

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:10 am

wyldwynd wrote:And what should those of us do who don't have any spare mobo headers? :P
You better not be serious about not knowing what a molex to 3 pin converter is.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:05 pm

mathias wrote:
wyldwynd wrote:And what should those of us do who don't have any spare mobo headers? :P
You better not be serious about not knowing what a molex to 3 pin converter is.
Just get a 3-pin to 4-pin converter. Personally, I prefer this method when using a fanmate. I'm not convinced a fanmate will stop PWM noise signals, and there's no guarantee that a motherboard header doesn't use PWM (i.e. if Speedfan works on your motherboard, you can be sure that that particular header is capable of PWM).

akelsall

Post by akelsall » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:24 pm

My ATI silencer 4 is clicking constantly. I stopped the fan for a second, and much to my surprise, the clicking was still there. So I'm going to plug the fan into a mobo fan header now.

The problem is that the fan plug is much smaller than the mobo plug. How do I plug it in?

akelsall

Post by akelsall » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:56 pm

Ok, I didn't really look too hard. I can't seem to unplug the fan connector from the graphics card (it is really hard). But it seems to be the same size as a normal mobo fan connector. Is there some technique I am missing to pull it off?

Trelane

Post by Trelane » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:20 am

akelsall wrote:Ok, I didn't really look too hard. I can't seem to unplug the fan connector from the graphics card (it is really hard). But it seems to be the same size as a normal mobo fan connector. Is there some technique I am missing to pull it off?
Check the side of the connector for a tiny clip. Use small tweezers to squeeze the clip and it should pop right out.

akelsall

Post by akelsall » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:40 am

Thanks for that, but no luck. I don't seem to be able to fine the clip. I pulled the entire card out today and gave it a good try with no success. The sides of the plug are completely flat along with the back. The front has two small square holes and a clip like thing runnning down the middle. But none of these are moveable or pushable.
Help please.

akelsall

Post by akelsall » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:21 am

*Bump*
Guys, any help removing this connector would be appreticated. Thanks.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:48 am

falcon26 wrote:btw what are some other quiet vga coolers for ati's x800 xt series????
You may have a look at the Zalman VF700-CU. MikeC is supposed to review one in January. So far it's looking good. This tread will give you an idea...

monkeh

Post by monkeh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:46 am

Artic cooling have said that they will replace my cooler free of charge with their new version when it becomes available as they have admitted version 4 has problems with excessive noise on the majority of X800's although mine does it with 5,7 & 12 volts.

might be worth emailing them to see if they will do the same for you !

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:57 am

I've emailed Artic twice without response.
Which artic cooling email address are you using?

I like the idea of using a fan mate.
The NV5 rev 3 comes with 2 connectors on the power feed.
Not sure if one is a standard mobo connector.

Going to look tonight and see if I can use a fanmate.
Right now the video card cooler is the loudest fan in my case.
Be nice to fanmate tweak it down a bit..

HiFi

Post by HiFi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:15 am

did u not notice this post was a year and a half old ?

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:20 am

Hi! Fi!
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 pm Artic cooling have said that they will replace my cooler free of charge with their new version when it becomes available as they have admitted version 4 has problems with excessive noise on the majority of X800's although mine does it with 5,7 & 12 volts.
Now read my post, and see how the dots connect.

I would like to thank you for patrolling the boards and contributing such constructive and insightful information. THANK YOU!

HiFi

Post by HiFi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:31 am

NapalmDeath wrote:Hi! Fi!
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 pm Artic cooling have said that they will replace my cooler free of charge with their new version when it becomes available as they have admitted version 4 has problems with excessive noise on the majority of X800's although mine does it with 5,7 & 12 volts.
Now read my post, and see how the dots connect.

I would like to thank you for patrolling the boards and contributing such constructive and insightful information. THANK YOU!
that post is dated Thu Jan 27, 2005. the new version which the original poster is talking about is version 5, which came out in february 2005. I wish you luck in getting that free replacement.

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:40 am

I'm not after a free replacement. I'm after a working email address they will respond to. I have questions about the upcoming 7900 cards. Thanks for reading my mind.