Bad luck putting 3rd party heatsink last time. Try it again?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fanerman91

Bad luck putting 3rd party heatsink last time. Try it again?

Post by fanerman91 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:59 pm

I put an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer 9600XT and it didn't work afterwards. I've seen a couple posts about other people having similar problems (but having success by putting the stock heatsink back on). Most of the time the diagnosis I read (in my case as well) was a short circuit due to the heatsink or the TIM or something. Strangely I haven't heard any problems with any other vid card.

My 9600 ended up breaking (seemingly) beyond repair because after getting it to work with the VGA Silencer, I left it on over night, only to wake up the next morning to see that it had the same symptoms as it did when it wouldn't even boot up (after attempting to restart, I got the same distinct series of beeps, plus something was whining fairly loudly). I imagine it was the same short circuit. However, several hours of being like that overnight may have caused permanent damage to the vid card.

Anyway I'm getting a BFG 6800OC NU which I expect to be loud. I'm gonna do some case dampening, but I doubt I'll achieve anything in the near vicinity of silence unless I switch heatsinks. But after the 9600, I don't want to destroy this (more expensive) card right away, and the Arctic Cooling offerings don't seem that great with the clicking and the noise. Will they come up with a Rev 2 that fixes at least the clicking? Any ideas on what I should do?

If I get the Arctic Cooling, will hooking it up to an external fan controller and lowering the voltage provide decent cooling while lowering noise and eliminating clicking? I don't plan on overclocking much. Thanks.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:54 pm

you know if u still have the stock heatsink, u could put some artic silver on it, and RMA it to ATI, worked for me! 8). make sure u use a silver thermal compound cas ati ships videocards with silver compound.

if u get the BFG6800 its gonna be loud for sure, due to the single slot solution. personally i have the BFG 6800GT it loud too, i decided to switch the cooler to the NV5.

to tell u the truth... the NV5 is still loud, since ur buying from the same company as me i can tell u that the PVM has not been improved, therefore making the clicking noise, however, i purchased a fanmate 1 (zalman) and pulled out the plastic plug to fit in the 2 pin from the NV5.

the clicking is still there, how ever u will be able to lower the rpm to a point until u can't hear the clicking. the fanmate 1 is also very cheap, around 6 bux? you could also plug it into the mobo and find a program that controls fan speed, when i pluged it into my mobo the clicking was reduce quite significantly but i rather have a mechanical controller thingy that something that loads up on windows.

my GT with the fanmate turned down idles at 57, loads at 74 max. not really COOL. but full speed idles at 51, loads at 60 max big improvement, but NOT quiet. i wouldn't mind at the card going up to 74, nvidia's gpu core slowdown is at 120 C :shock: so dun worry about it and u have a LIFETIME warranty :D

word of advice to you... keep the stock cooler for the rest of your life, if u ever need to RMA it, since BFG has a lifetime warranty.... take out the NV5 slap some arctic ceramquie on it, put the stock heatsink on it and RMA it to BFG. this is the reason why i buy from BFG.

hehe if u ever want a new card :wink: just rub ur feet on carpet and touch the back of the card on the other side of the core :twisted: lol :lol:

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:57 am

Noizz wrote:hehe if u ever want a new card :wink: just rub ur feet on carpet and touch the back of the card on the other side of the core :twisted: lol :lol:
How about NOT intentionally breaking stuff and expecting others to pay for it?

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:36 am

Maybe I'll try it in a bit.... not just yet though (ordered too much after the computer breaking debacle). It seems safe, and easier to install than the VGA Silencer. I haven't seen any reports of the vid card not workng after the install.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:48 am

HammerSandwich wrote: How about NOT intentionally breaking stuff and expecting others to pay for it?
hehhehe lol :roll: . exploiting stuff is cool 8)