AMD readies Centrino killer

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

AMD readies Centrino killer

Post by Mats » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:12 am

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19810

I know that The Inquirer is "News, reviews, facts & fiction" but I'm still curious what kind of low power CPU this one could have...

Pakkapakka

Post by Pakkapakka » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:31 am

If you're meaning "Centrino" as in "Low Power", then the AMD low-power K8-derived Centrino killer will materialize in mid-2006, on the 65nm process in Fab36.

This - planned - chip does not have a public code name, but is has been showing up in roadmaps presented to AMD partners for the last month. Targeted power consumption is 7W.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:42 am

Hopefully they won't be stingy like Intel, and just give us a desktop version as well.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:34 am

Pakkapakka wrote:If you're meaning "Centrino" as in "Low Power", then the AMD low-power K8-derived Centrino killer will materialize in mid-2006, on the 65nm process in Fab36.

This - planned - chip does not have a public code name, but is has been showing up in roadmaps presented to AMD partners for the last month. Targeted power consumption is 7W.
Well the news post says january 2005 so it's probably not the same chip. I guess it's all about a notebook solution just like Centrino with WLAN and stuff. This doesn't mean that they will add a new CPU, but we can always hope. If the only new about the Mobile CPU is that it is revision D or E it's still interesting.

Pakkapakka

Post by Pakkapakka » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:48 am

Mats wrote:
Pakkapakka wrote:If you're meaning "Centrino" as in "Low Power", then the AMD low-power K8-derived Centrino killer will materialize in mid-2006, on the 65nm process in Fab36.

Well the news post says january 2005 so it's probably not the same chip. I guess it's all about a notebook solution just like Centrino with WLAN and stuff. This doesn't mean that they will add a new CPU, but we can always hope. If the only new about the Mobile CPU is that it is revision D or E it's still interesting.
In that case they're referring to the upcoming 'Lancaster' core.
Planned to have a 25W TDP, likely starting from the upcoming E core revision, featuring SSE3 and a lower power halt state. 754 PGA, lidless.