Heatsink doubling

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

greeef

Heatsink doubling

Post by greeef » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:55 am

Alright, i have a zalman CNPS6000 cooling a 2100+. With no fan directing airflow to it i cant even run stock speeds without overheating.

So, my solution was to attach a large heatpipe to it, one salavaged from an old hifi amplifier.
It has an aluminium plate at the bottom that attaches to the heatpipe, and fins attached further up the pipe.

Firstly, i unscrewed the zalman, took out a few fins, and sandwiched a small amount of aluminium between fins. This gave a contact area of about half a square inch either side. My temps were a lot lower, and i had a lot more headroom to overclock, but the heatpipe really wasnt getting all that hot.

So everything's back to normal, and i'm trying to think of a way to attach the flat plate to the side of the cnps6000.

Drilling and screwing seems a bit silly because the fins are flexible, but perhaps it is my only option. I was hoping to attach the heatpipe to the case and find a way to press it against the side of the cooler. This would reduce strain on the cpu socket, make upgrades easier, and allow me to experiment with peltier assisted cooling (something i'd like to try one day)

If you want pictures, please let me know and i'll dig some up.

griff

wim

Post by wim » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:22 am

pics..yeah i want to see your crazy mods. :)

btw if your psu heatsinks really are the same voltage, you can't make a short. but screwing around with live heatsinks at all is already on thin ice imo

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:24 am

Greef, why do you want to run CPU fanless? Have you removed all other fans in the system already?
The CPU is usually the hottest component in the system, so it needs a fan more than other components. Since the CPU is located in the middle of the machine, it is the easiest noise to reduce before it exist the case. These facts together points towards the logic solution to keep the CPU fan as last fan.

If you add a peltier you will need lots of more power. That means the PSU will need more cooling. As soon as you need a fan or a pump to cool the PSU it has defeated the purpous of a peltier (unless you are into heavy overclocking).

The CNPS6000 is not a great startingpoint for your experiments. Perhaps you should look at heatpipe based coolers or build your own cooler from scratch.

wim, what was this avout PSU heatsinks? Did I miss something, or does this refere to another thread?

wim

Post by wim » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:41 am

yes, sorry, sloppy of me, that was about his other thread posted at the same time.. more weird mods with adding more metal etc

greeef

Post by greeef » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:33 am

alright, the reason I'm going fanless is cos i'm modding for silence, looks, low cost, and clockspeed. Not a very good balance i know, but so far the compromise is actually working quite well.

As for the peltier, if i do use it i will be powering it with a separate power supply, most likely just a (suspended) toroidal transformer and associated rectifier and filtering caps.

Meanwhile, the guy who had this cpu before me said he got 2.4GHz with an aircooler, 2.6 in a vapochill. I have reached 2.25 with the cnps6000, the 92mm zalman fan on bracket at lowest speed, and my heatpipe very poorly thermally coupled.
I figured with a better thermal coupling and two 120mm fans blowing through a relatively unobstructed airflow path, a very quiet 2.3 would be viable. If not i dont really mind - the cpu cost me £30 and 2GHz is better than every other cpu at that price.

Sorry about the lack of pictures still

http://www.creativemods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2433

there's a few unclear preview pics, the only clear thing is the hard drive suspension. My hd temps have never been so low, and the seagate datasheet is right - the drives dont mind being on an off-angle at all.

griff

wim

Post by wim » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:47 pm

heh wow
thats impressive case modding greeef. your comp looks like it's been hit by a bomb, or maybe some gordon freeman plasma gun or something. cool.

i like this too: