This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:31 am

itchiee,

WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

With your Zalman at 2100 rpm, you wouldn't hear the difference the orange yate loons would have provided.

If you're not overclocking your CPU, you might lower that CPU fan considerably by undervolting the CPU. Start a new thread, preferably with pics, and we'll get you wanting to undervolt the orange ones :)

frankgehry

papst, globe, source

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:57 am

Mr_Smartepants,

I see you are located in England. Do you know of this store - www.koolnquiet.co.uk? They seem to have a fairly good supply of papst and they have the globe B1202512L-3M.

There are some other European stores that have huge selections of papst, yate loon, etc. like www.ichbinleise.de, and www.pcsilent.com. Pcsilent is set up for american purchases, but I haven't been able to find out how to order from ichbinleise yet.

I know that some papst models are available in the US but I haven't been able to find a 4412 F/2GL or F/2GLL and the Globe is backordered in the only store that seems to carry them. TIA - FG

Can anyone characterize Silentmaxx or SmartCooler brand fans?

Mr_Smartepants

Re: papst, globe, source

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:15 pm

frankgehry wrote:Mr_Smartepants,

I see you are located in England. Do you know of this store - www.koolnquiet.co.uk? They seem to have a fairly good supply of papst and they have the globe B1202512L-3M.
Yeah, I had this bookmarked, then lost the bookmark. I'm familiar with their site but will never order from a UK site if I can find the same product in the US. The 17.5% VAT and the abysmal exchange rate puts me off ordering anything from the UK.

slipknottin

Re: papst, globe, source

Post by slipknottin » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:26 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote: Yeah, I had this bookmarked, then lost the bookmark. I'm familiar with their site but will never order from a UK site if I can find the same product in the US. The 17.5% VAT and the abysmal exchange rate puts me off ordering anything from the UK.
Good... American exports on the rise. :lol:

frankgehry

Globe ~ Acoustifan

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:47 pm

From reading the thread comparing different 120mm fans it looks like the Acoustifan is a clear plastic Globe, so I'll give the Acoustifan a try.

Thanks - FG

frankgehry

article comparing 27 120mm ventilators

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:36 pm

Here is an article that compares 27 120mm ventilators. Its a little over a year old but it certainly answers a lot of questions. It is in french so you will probably have to use a web translator like babelfish. Fans are ventilators and globe fans are earth fans but the translator works well. Search yahoo for babelfish and pick the altavista version. Select french to english, and put the link to the article in and it will translate everything.

http://www.matbe.com/articles/refroid/1 ... /page1.php

Best - FG

I don't think this article is mentioned on this site, but its impossible to read everything here.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:11 pm

Bluefront wrote:I just replaced two Globe fans (S1202512L-3M) with these Orange Yate Loons. They are quieter at the same rpms.....plus My Globes would not start at 5V. The Yate Loons will.
Yeah I figured they would be quieter at the same rpm. But I start my Globes on the lowest setting on my fan controller (Zalman MFC1). Would there be a difference between the Globes and the yate loons at the same speed?

slipknottin

Re: article comparing 27 120mm ventilators

Post by slipknottin » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:28 pm

frankgehry wrote: Select french to english, and put the link to the article in and it will translate everything.
well... sorta. "The use of the ventilators of great dimension can pursue two goals. First is to have an increased capacity of cooling. The second and which is that for which ventilators 120 millimetres are mainly used is the reduction of the sound harmful effects"

:lol:

frankgehry

Those french

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:08 pm

Those French have a different word for everything.

TealFreak

Question for Antec case owners

Post by TealFreak » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:47 am

Well I just went and bought four of these orange fans from iseller. It was cheaper to buy a 4th fan and get free shipping then to buy 3 and pay for shipping :twisted: My next newbie question for you guys is I am thinking about purchasing the SLK3000B case from Antec. Apparently the front fan mount is non-standard. Have you guys mounted these orange fans in a 3000B? What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit?

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:33 am

TealFreak, nothing, it fits.

Mr_Smartepants

Re: Those french

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 pm

frankgehry wrote:Those French have a different word for everything.
Rex Harrison wrote:The French don't care what they do actually, as long as they pronounce it properly.
-from 'My Fair Lady'.
:lol:

Actually, I think the 3000b has a plastic fan holder. Once removed, the holes don't line up and you need to drill a hole in between the two holes in each corner.

DG

Post by DG » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:28 am

I understand that the orange Yate loon fan, sold at Geeks, has ~1300 rpm. How it is compared, in terms of noise, with the Nexus 120mm, at same rpm (~1000 rpm)? :?:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: Those french

Post by Tibors » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:19 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Actually, I think the 3000b has a plastic fan holder. Once removed, the holes don't line up and you need to drill a hole in between the two holes in each corner.
Use one of the methods described in New Fan Mount Design....DIY. Then you don't need to drill any holes.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:30 am

DG wrote:I understand that the orange Yate loon fan, sold at Geeks, has ~1300 rpm. How it is compared, in terms of noise, with the Nexus 120mm, at same rpm (~1000 rpm)? :?:
IMO, from what I can tell, they are nearly identical. The yate loon is maybe slightly louder, but nothing significant, surely not worth spending another $15 a fan on.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

TekGems has 'em

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:47 am

There's another source for the orange 120mm: TekGems. The price for one to nine fans is $10.99 each, but buy ten or more and the price is $3.90 each! TekGems also has a 120mm with LEDs for the same price — I guess it's the same as the one previously mentioned.

Then there are four black fans labeled "ultra quiet": 120mm ball bearing, 120mm sleeve bearing, 80mm ball bearing, and 80mm sleeve bearing. Anyone know whether these might be good?

The 8025M, which has gotten bad and good reviews in this thread, is also available. I can't recall whether the black 80mm fan with aluminum housing has also been panned (I'm tired of flipping back and forth through the pages). Finally, there's a translucent 80mm with blue LEDs with a great price on ten or more. Again, any idea about the quality?

Oops, I missed the four-color ball bearing 80mm fan.
Last edited by David Mitchell on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Suitable for PSU fan swap?

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:52 am

Before I forget again: would it be worthwhile to swap these 120mm fans into Fortron/Sparkle power supplies?

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 am

i just visited resellerratings.com, and apparently only 7 people have given tekgems a review in their account lifetime on the site, and none of them have been in the last six months. Anyone willing to take the risk?

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:08 am

smoothness wrote:i just visited resellerratings.com, and apparently only 7 people have given tekgems a review in their account lifetime on the site, and none of them have been in the last six months. Anyone willing to take the risk?
It looks a lot better than iSellSurplus, at least. I'll take the risk if someone can tell me what to buy. :)

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:25 am

i suggest buying the orange 120mm yate loons. we know that they actually work when coming from isellsurplus and geeks.com, so it'd be good if we know that their supply is the same.

i'd suggest buying a lot of 10, in order to see what the difference between each fan is - not to mention the fact that they're a lot cheaper in bulk. there's also the fact that since most people use 3 to a fan, you'd have the possibility of selling 2 sets to someone else, and still have one extra.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:36 am

smoothness wrote:i suggest buying the orange 120mm yate loons. we know that they actually work when coming from isellsurplus and geeks.com, so it'd be good if we know that their supply is the same.

i'd suggest buying a lot of 10, in order to see what the difference between each fan is - not to mention the fact that they're a lot cheaper in bulk. there's also the fact that since most people use 3 to a fan, you'd have the possibility of selling 2 sets to someone else, and still have one extra.
I'm planning to buy exactly what you suggest, but should I try any of the 80mm fans?

By the way, is it just me, or has their site suddenly gotten very slow? I don't know if there's a term equivalent to slashdotting here; if there isn't, it should be silencing. As in, Y'all have nearly silenced TekGems! ;)

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 pm

i dunno about the 80mm - someone said they tried the yate loons from another site, and they turned out to be subpar. once we find out whether or not they're good on the turnaround, i'll probably try for some of the 80mm and the 120mm. i've got a coolermaster praetorian with 4 80mm i'm gonna try to silence.

i just checked the ratings of tekgems at bizrate.com, and it seems that they've shipped twice in the past month, which probably means they're a b&m store more than an internet only store.

on the /. front, i don't know if there ever was such a thing. i mean, everyone's interested in the new supply, but maybe they're just camping geeks.com or something. i know that i was - they seem to have taken the page for the 120mm offline.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:35 pm

smoothness wrote:on the /. front, i don't know if there ever was such a thing. i mean, everyone's interested in the new supply, but maybe they're just camping geeks.com or something. i know that i was - they seem to have taken the page for the 120mm offline.
Apparently, anything out of stock at geeks.com is removed from the indexes. Of course, the pages are still there, and if you really want to know when the fans are back in stock, you can give them your e-mail address.

TekGems did get very slow for a while, but it's back to normal now. May have been unrelated.

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:46 pm

when i was talking about the page from geeks.com being taken out, i mean i had a bookmark to the page with the yateloons on them, and it disappeared. i had been checking it everyday for a couple days, and then it disappeared when i checked this afternoon. oh well.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:47 pm

smoothness wrote:when i was talking about the page from geeks.com being taken out, i mean i had a bookmark to the page with the yateloons on them, and it disappeared. i had been checking it everyday for a couple days, and then it disappeared when i checked this afternoon. oh well.
Oops, you're right. I checked it this morning and it was still there, but now it's gone.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: TekGems has 'em

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:43 pm

David Mitchell wrote:...I can't recall whether the black 80mm fan with aluminum housing has also been panned (I'm tired of flipping back and forth through the pages)...
Not very good at all.

-Ed

faro

Post by faro » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:44 pm

Beware of iSellSurplus. The 80mm fans Yate Loons were most certainly not Yate Loons when they arrived. The decal is white and has the part number MW-825H12S II and not 8025M12. I called to let then know that they shipped the wrong fan but they think they are the same. It looks like I might have a battle on my hands to get a refund.

Super Monkey Me

Post by Super Monkey Me » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:22 pm

Any one knows a place that carries the 92mm Yate loon?Most of the stores only seems to carry 80mm and 120mm fans in the US.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Re: TekGems has 'em

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:27 pm

Edward Ng wrote:
David Mitchell wrote:...I can't recall whether the black 80mm fan with aluminum housing has also been panned (I'm tired of flipping back and forth through the pages)...
Not very good at all.
Thanks.

Anyone want to speculate on the translucent 80mm with blue LEDs?

frankgehry

92 mm yate loon

Post by frankgehry » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:15 pm