This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scorpionv

Post by scorpionv » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:31 pm

Man this thread is growing fast... Anyway, I've had a chance to test out about 6 or 7 of these things and only one dud so far (had some annoying bearing noise). At 5-7 volts these things are awesome. Comparing these to my Evercool Aluminum models, they are quieter but move less air. Both the Yate Loons and the Evercools only make whoosh sounds (just air being moved), so it just comes down to what you'd use them for. I'm still using the Evercools in my MP system because I need the added airflow, but the Evercools were more than I needed (even at 5v) in a couple of other systems, and these Yate Loons seem to have done the trick.

By the way, these are the one's from TekGems.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:39 pm

I just received my shipment of 10 orange Yate Loon 120mm fans from Tekgems. They are exactly the same as the one in the picture. I won't have a chance to test them until this weekend, unfortunately. I noticed on the invoice that they were drop-shipped directly from Evertek and billed to Tekgems, so they are actually the same as the ones offered there without the minimum order and business license requirements. I almost wish I'd ordered more, though I have no idea what I would do with the extras.

NeilBlanchard

the bearing noise might reduce with some use

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Hello;

If you have units that click slightly, they might get quieter with a little use/break in time. :-)

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:33 pm

So, is there any reason to go for the blue LED version of the Yate Loon instead of the orange, other than a need for speed (or aesthetics)?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Mumrik wrote:So, is there any reason to go for the blue LED version of the Yate Loon instead of the orange, other than a need for speed (or aesthetics)?
Not that I know of.

frankgehry

clear vs solid

Post by frankgehry » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

M,

The clear version of the same fan will be approx. 25% lighter. Also, if you tap the blades of a clear fan it will make a click or ping where a solid fan will make lower pitched sounds. Some people think solid fans have a slightly different sound that is subjectively better. I do have clear and solid fans but I've never tried to test them. If you want a clear fan I would go ahead and get a clear fan, but if you can't make up your mind, I would get solid fans. - FG

jmatucd

Post by jmatucd » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:39 pm

Just ordered 10 from tekgems, will be reporting on their condition and tekgems soon

hope these are as good as everyone says they are :)

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Worth noting: It looks like the clear blue ones have normal mounting holes, unlike the orange ones...

Mr_Smartepants

Re: the bearing noise might reduce with some use

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:00 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello;

If you have units that click slightly, they might get quieter with a little use/break in time. :-)
Just an FYI, of the two orange Yate Loons I received from Geeks.com both have no bearing noise when suspended vertically (normal exhaust fan position) but one clicks a lot when suspended horizontally (as in 120mm PSU).
Make sure you break them in in the position you plan to use them in!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:57 am

Mumrik wrote:Worth noting: It looks like the clear blue ones have normal mounting holes, unlike the orange ones...
I have the translucent blue LED ones and they have closed corners just like the orange ones.

-Ed

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:53 am

Oh? Guess I misjudged the picture then. Thanks.

Edit: nevermind me - looks like I'd misunderstood what was meant by closed corners...

Xier325i

Post by Xier325i » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:04 pm

Showed up at work today and what did I see?

A nice big box of 10 Yate Loon fans.

I placed the order from the website wed night. That means TekGems saw the order on thurs, filled it, had it shipped, and I got it today.

One day turnaround, I'll take it! Gives me the weekend to test them all out also. :D

My package was also drop-shipped from Evertek. I even got a syringe of generic thermal compound (silver) in my box. Free thermal compound? I'll take that too!

The fans are as pictured, with Yate Loon raised on the fan bezel and a 4 pin molex in line with the 3 pin fan header.

I hastily split open the dell at work to test one out and so far it looks promising. Won't know for sure until tonight after work.

LL

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:11 pm

The demand for these must be getting large....TekGems just raised their 10+ price to $4.06. Still a good price though.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:06 pm

Hello:

I wonder if the price of the Nexus 120mm will drop at all? I mean $20 + shipping would buy you FIVE of these...though you have to compare two Nexus vs 10 Yate Loons, to get that price.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:01 pm

Just for grins:

They are basically identical except for the label.

kevinshi

Re: This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Post by kevinshi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:01 pm

phuzer wrote:3-pin power connector
4-pin Molex pass-through power connector
Does this mean:

A) you may power the fan either from a 3 pin connector on your motherboard or via a 4 pin connector directly from your power supply

OR

B) you must power via yuor 4 pin connector from your power supply however you may also monitor via the 3 pin connector on your motherboard?

I guess another way to express this is do I have to use the 4 pin connector (or am I OK if I have an available 3 pin connector on my motherboard)?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:05 pm

It lets you choose between molex for power or 3-pin for power, with the added benefit that if you power it via 3-pin from the mainboard, you can monitor speed. In order to power it with molex and monitor speed, you'll need to either buy an adapter that only runs the signal line, or mod the plug so the red and black lines no longer make contact.

-Ed

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:31 pm

I took one of mine I received from Comp Geeks, and decouple mounted it in a Fortron FSP350-60PN I had in which the original Yate Loon had an excessive amount of clicking. I removed the yellow RPM monitoring wire from the 3 pin molex plug, and slid it out of the PVC sheath, leaving it full length. Then, I cut the red and black power leads with adequate length, and soldered them to the original power leads on the now removed clicking Yate Loon. Covered the connection with shrink tubing, of course ;)
Then, just before buttoning it all back up again, I carefully snaked the still pinned yellow RPM wire out through the main wiring grommet, out of the PSU. Closed up the PS, then replaced the pinned yellow RPM wire back into it's correct position on the 3 pin molex plug by itself.

I now have a very quiet Fortron with adjustable fan speed and rpm monitoring (the stock Fortron speed controller on this model PSU works great with this fan).
Also note: no fuses, breakers, or human beings were damaged, because I followed SPCR's standard safety protocols of modding PSU's, and was very sure it was fully drained before opening the PSU casing. Anybody who wants to mod a PSU fan should be certain the PSU and it's capacitors are fully drained of juice before opening it up (AND it IS unplugged, right?)
You can never be too careful ;)

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:20 pm

Edward Ng wrote: In order to power it with molex and monitor speed, you'll need to either buy an adapter that only runs the signal line, or mod the plug so the red and black lines no longer make contact.

-Ed
Sorry to disagree with you Ed, but on some motherboards (like mine) the black wire is required as well as the yellow signal line for RPM monitoring.
All that's needed in the above case is to withdraw the red pin from the 3-pin connector and tuck it back under the shrinkwrap out of the way. There you go, a non-permanent mod.

I modded my Fortron the same as Lazarus and I like the ability to read the RPM from the PSU. On my PSU, the new Yate Loon runs from ~700-1100RPM

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:13 am

Ed Ng, I tried looking through this thread (8 pages) if you mentioned from your experience if the low speed yate loon 120mm fans are more quiet than the globe fans that you have tested?

I already have 5 globe 120mm low speed fans, just wondering if it's worth buying 10 yate loon 120mm low speed fans from gemtek? Thanks,

James

P.s. sorry if you already answered this question in another thread.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:39 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:
Edward Ng wrote: In order to power it with molex and monitor speed, you'll need to either buy an adapter that only runs the signal line, or mod the plug so the red and black lines no longer make contact.

-Ed
Sorry to disagree with you Ed, but on some motherboards (like mine) the black wire is required as well as the yellow signal line for RPM monitoring.
All that's needed in the above case is to withdraw the red pin from the 3-pin connector and tuck it back under the shrinkwrap out of the way. There you go, a non-permanent mod.

I modded my Fortron the same as Lazarus and I like the ability to read the RPM from the PSU. On my PSU, the new Yate Loon runs from ~700-1100RPM
Interesting; I'll note that in the future. That's the first time I've heard of that; as a matter of fact, it was a basic assumption to me since all the products that I've seen splitting off a line just for signal monitoring only have the yellow line, and I've never run across a mainboard that wouldn't accept just yellow. What board are you using?

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:42 am

IMOM wrote:Ed Ng, I tried looking through this thread (8 pages) if you mentioned from your experience if the low speed yate loon 120mm fans are more quiet than the globe fans that you have tested?

I already have 5 globe 120mm low speed fans, just wondering if it's worth buying 10 yate loon 120mm low speed fans from gemtek? Thanks,

James

P.s. sorry if you already answered this question in another thread.
Nope, haven't mentioned it yet. I believe the Yate Loons serve as a better choice as long as you don't mind the color; they can start at a lower voltage and spin slower than the Globes at the same voltage. The only cases where I'd choose the Globe would be A) fan must be black B) I want to use thermal regulation and/or C) I need to spin faster than the Yate Loons can go at 12V.

EDIT: Let me add that the blue sleeve-bearing LED fans from Yate Loon spin faster than the orange ones, and I wouldn't hesitate to choose them over the Globes if I need higher speed. They're pretty close to the acoustic performance of the orange ones while offering more airflow for the same voltage (all three fans make similar amounts of air noise for the same airflow).

-Ed

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:29 pm

Edward Ng wrote:
Mr_Smartepants wrote: Sorry to disagree with you Ed, but on some motherboards (like mine) the black wire is required as well as the yellow signal line for RPM monitoring.
Interesting; I'll note that in the future. That's the first time I've heard of that; as a matter of fact, it was a basic assumption to me since all the products that I've seen splitting off a line just for signal monitoring only have the yellow line, and I've never run across a mainboard that wouldn't accept just yellow. What board are you using?

-Ed
My Mobo is an Albatron PX865PE Pro. I had another Albatron mobo previously and it reacted the same way as my current board. If you connect the yellow line only, the bios won't read the RPM. My guess is the RPM sensor circuit needs the extra ground for the sensor to work right.
At least my mobo will read RPMs down to ~500 RPM unlike most boards that stop at 1000.

frankgehry

my thoughts

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:42 pm

I have an adapter that's supplied with my fan controller that lets you use a molex connector to power the fan and a 3 pin connector with just one yellow wire that plugs into the motherboard. So my vote is for you don't need a ground wire, just the yellow rpm sensing wire. It seems counterintuitive, but I'm pretty sure thats the way it works otherwise my adapter would have a ground wire. - FG

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: my thoughts

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:45 pm

frankgehry wrote:I have an adapter that's supplied with my fan controller that lets you use a molex connector to power the fan and a 3 pin connector with just one yellow wire that plugs into the motherboard. So my vote is for you don't need a ground wire, just the yellow rpm sensing wire. It seems counterintuitive, but I'm pretty sure thats the way it works otherwise my adapter would have a ground wire. - FG
Right, I've worked with dozens (not an understatement) of speed-only adapters and fans with speed-only lines and they only have the single yellow; I have yet to see one that has both, yellow and black as well, but no red...

But what he's saying is likely true. Albatron is doing something with their board design that requires a separate ground run into the sensor. The C-Systems CSP-750 MkII pumps have a similar issue, only backwards--if you only plug in the yellow line to get a speed readout, it causes a condition known as a shunt, and will potentially damage and/or kill the pump for good. If you want to read the speed off a CSP-750 pump safely while powering it by molex, you need to hook up the red and black to molex and then run the yellow and black into a 3-pin port on the mainboard.

-Ed

frankgehry

I change my vote

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:53 pm

I would like to change my vote to yes you do need a ground wire.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: I change my vote

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:59 pm

frankgehry wrote:I would like to change my vote to yes you do need a ground wire.
I say yes but only for Albatron boards.

:P

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:15 pm

Edward Ng wrote: Right, I've worked with dozens (not an understatement) of speed-only adapters and fans with speed-only lines and they only have the single yellow; I have yet to see one that has both, yellow and black as well, but no red...
Really? My zalman fan controller, 12cm nexus and old heroichi PSU all have RPM connectors with grounds.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:20 pm

mathias wrote:
Edward Ng wrote: Right, I've worked with dozens (not an understatement) of speed-only adapters and fans with speed-only lines and they only have the single yellow; I have yet to see one that has both, yellow and black as well, but no red...
Really? My zalman fan controller, 12cm nexus and old heroichi PSU all have RPM connectors with grounds.
Which 12cm Nexus are you talking about, the fans? They have all three lines.

Actually I just checked my Antec PSU leftover from an SLK2650-BQE and you're right; it does have both, the black and the blue lines, so I'm mistaken on that side. :oops:

Meh; that's my third mistake in too recent memory. Maybe I'll just quit...

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Edward Ng wrote: Which 12cm Nexus are you talking about, the fans? They have all three lines.
Some of the 120's have a regular 3pin connector, some have an RPM monitoring one instead.