This fan looks like a NEXUS 92mm (FOR $4.50 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

p5

This fan looks like a NEXUS 92mm (FOR $4.50 + shipping)

Post by p5 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:05 am

Ok after reading THIS thread and sticking the nexus' 92mm fan model (without the -3 at the end) into google, one result came up with a site selling these for $4.50 + shipping.

I know people aren't as interested in 92mm fans as their 120mm counterparts. But there are still a handful with only 92mm availability in their cases, as well as people possibly needing zalman 7000 swappages.

However this fan does run at 2200rpm and pushes 38cfm, so it could be a different fan altogether.

Link added.

Do nexus have yate-loon specially their 120mm? Or do they ask them to shove a resistor in there somewhere?
Last edited by p5 on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: This fan looks like a NEXUS 92mm (FOR $4.50 + shipping)

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:15 am

p5 wrote:Ok after reading THIS thread and sticking the nexus' 92mm fan model (without the -3 at the end) into google, one result came up with a site selling these for $4.50 + shipping.
So where's the link?

:wink:

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: This fan looks like a NEXUS 92mm (FOR $4.50 + shipping)

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:17 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
p5 wrote:Ok after reading THIS thread and sticking the nexus' 92mm fan model (without the -3 at the end) into google, one result came up with a site selling these for $4.50 + shipping.
So where's the link?

:wink:
I felt like I was missing something, but figured it was just me.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:14 am

I think this is it:

http://www.maxcooler.com/dyn92x92x2wh.html

Edit: Rather than that one ( http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/c ... =15&cid=32 ), I think the 80mm version ( http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/c ... =14&cid=32 ) would be more useful to find, it's also 2200 rpm which would be a bit more tolerable for an 80mm fan(then again that shouldn't be much of an isuue since these things should undervolt very well), 80mm fans are used more than 92s, and IMO the 80mm nexus is worse than the 92.

Edit: wait a minute, the model numbers are different

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:47 am

Replacing the 9 with an 8 in that model number leads to a lot of fans by a company called topmotor, but this http://totalmodding.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=462 seems to indicate that the topmotor branded fans are the same as the dynatron branded ones, as if the dynatron/dynaeon confussion wasn't bad enough.

p5

Post by p5 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:51 am

Oh sorry yeah, totally forgot the link!

But mathias has kindly provided it.

Also I thought the 80mm nexus' were made by bisonic?

frankgehry

Top motor

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:14 am

Top motor makes antec fans which are in the average range. I think a better deal would be a panoflo L1BX (speed sensing) for $8 at Jab-Tech.

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/home.php?cat=80

I have a couple of these as well as a nexus 92 and they're both nice fans.

- FG

TDK

Post by TDK » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:16 am

Dynatron arent the manufacturer for nexus fans. The 80mm ones are made by bisonic im not sure if they make the 92mm ones aswell. The nexus 120mm is a special one manufactured to spin at 1000rpm but it really doesnt make much difference than having a resistor added to it instead. If you must know it would cost more to have a resistor added in the volume they would be buying.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:38 am

TDK wrote:Dynatron arent the manufacturer for nexus fans.
The 80mm ones are made by bisonic im not sure if they make the 92mm ones aswell
Er, if you dont know who makes the 92mm fan, why are you so confident its not dynatron?

mathias

Re: Top motor

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 pm

frankgehry wrote:Top motor makes antec fans which are in the average range.
Aren't the antec LED fans on the SPCR recomended list?
TDK wrote:Dynatron arent the manufacturer for nexus fans. The 80mm ones are made by bisonic im not sure if they make the 92mm ones aswell.
I really doubt they're from the same manufacturer, the nexus 80s and 92s behave very differently in a lot of ways.
TDK wrote:The nexus 120mm is a special one manufactured to spin at 1000rpm but it really doesnt make much difference than having a resistor added to it instead.
I think there is a difference, a resistor would reduce the voltage range (especially a problem when swapping a PSU fan).
TDK wrote:If you must know it would cost more to have a resistor added in the volume they would be buying.
Where could a resistor be on a 120mm nexus? I didn't find one underneath the cable wrap or anywhere else, and the hub is very small, so I'm quite sure there couldn't be one in there.

Forgot to mention, I did find the low speed dynatron fan on that Italian site, but only in google's cache, I guess they must be sold out of them.

frankgehry

fans

Post by frankgehry » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:30 pm

I don't have enough information to say that all antec fans are average and that they are all made by top motor. I believe if you look at the antec neopower review you will see a top motor fan. If you read the silverstone tj-06 review you will find and everflow fan that is really good.

All I can say is I would rather have a panoflo L1 than an antec or top motor. If all antec fans are average or they are all made by top motor I can't really be sure. - FG

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Top Motor, Dynatron and Dynaeon are the same company.

Nexus fan manufacturers:

80mm: Bi-sonic
92mm: Dynaeon
120mm: Yate Loon

While most specs are identical to the Nexus, the Nexus runs at 1500 rpm, while that fan runs at 2200. At those speeds the difference could be VERY pronounced.

I came across that fan and since they don't ship internationally I couldn't check it out - I asked one of our reviewers to do so and I guess we'll be hearing from him soon. From the looks of the site, I doubt they could handle the load SPCR will put on them though :)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:10 pm

I have the four samples, but as I said, I don't have an actual Nexus 92mm to compare against.

I'll play around with these fans tonight.

-Ed

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:26 am

Edward Ng wrote:I have the four samples, but as I said, I don't have an actual Nexus 92mm to compare against.

Did these turn out to be any good? I tried another 92mm fan with dismal results, so I'm still looking.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:04 am

David Mitchell wrote:
Edward Ng wrote:I have the four samples, but as I said, I don't have an actual Nexus 92mm to compare against.

Did these turn out to be any good? I tried another 92mm fan with dismal results, so I'm still looking.
Sorry; they're still sitting around untested...

Weekend's here, so I'll try.

-Ed

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:25 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Sorry; they're still sitting around untested...

Weekend's here, so I'll try.
Oh, I understand. I need to report back on some 80x80x15mm fans in another thread myself.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:08 pm

Okay; got the four fans hooked up to a fanless power supply for a little burn-in; I'll let them spin full speed for at least 24 hours before commencing listening tests, which should allow me tomorrow night for acoustic tests.

I can say this much right now, though; at 12 volts, they're too fast/loud by SPCR standards. If you planned to use this fan, you'd definately have to undervolt.

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Okay, well...the results are in.

And the fans aren't that great. :(

In terms of consistency, that is quite good--all four samples were virtually identical (I tried a blind test involving sticky pads with different letters, missing them up blindfolded and then trying to put them back in order but it was impossible for me).

In terms of sound signature, that's not too great; they have a rapid, mid-low frequency click to their bearings that barely changes with fan orientation and mounting, which is quite a bit louder than the chugging sound from both of my 92mm Panaflos (one Japanaflo M1 and one Chinaflo L1).

I'd definitely choose a Panaflo M1x over these things, given the relatively small price difference. Even considering the inconsistency of the Panaflos, the lousiest samples still wouldn't be quite as loud as the Top Motors in general, and if you get a very good Panaflo, the Top Motors definitely can't touch it.

-Ed

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:04 pm

What's with all the comparrisons to the panaflo's? Since it seems pretty obvious now that these are not related to 92mm nexuses, I don't think anyone would insist that they're good, even as a value price fan. In addition to the panaflo's, I'd expect that the zalman fans that happen to be just to the left of them on that page would also be better value price fans(plus you get the bracket).

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:31 am

mathias wrote:What's with all the comparrisons to the panaflo's? Since it seems pretty obvious now that these are not related to 92mm nexuses, I don't think anyone would insist that they're good, even as a value price fan. In addition to the panaflo's, I'd expect that the zalman fans that happen to be just to the left of them on that page would also be better value price fans(plus you get the bracket).
I don't have any 92mm Nexus fans to compare against, or Zalmans for the matter. Also, if you know that Panaflos aren't as good (as the Nexus fans), and I still pick Panaflos over these Top Motors, what conclusion does that give you?

-Ed

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:54 am

Edward Ng wrote:Okay, well...the results are in.

And the fans aren't that great. :(
Hmm. The verdict seems rather similar to that on the 92mm fans I tried..

Thanks for taking the time to test them!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:31 am

Edward Ng wrote: Also, if you know that Panaflos aren't as good (as the Nexus fans), and I still pick Panaflos over these Top Motors, what conclusion does that give you?
That it's just another lousy typical fan. But you've already given plenty of reasons to avoid them anyway, I was a little thrown of by how you said the panaflo's are a better deal and how you seemed to be backing up FG's recomendation of them.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:15 am

mathias wrote:
Edward Ng wrote: Also, if you know that Panaflos aren't as good (as the Nexus fans), and I still pick Panaflos over these Top Motors, what conclusion does that give you?
That it's just another lousy typical fan. But you've already given plenty of reasons to avoid them anyway, I was a little thrown of by how you said the panaflo's are a better deal and how you seemed to be backing up FG's recomendation of them.
I wrote:...I'd definitely choose a Panaflo M1x over these things...

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:09 am

Edward Ng wrote:
:lol: You've snipped out the "given the relatively small price difference" part that suggested that you were treating the panaflos as more than a reference sample.

Back on topic, what I'm wondering is are these definitly not related in any way to nexus 92's, or could they be worse sleeve bearing(which I guess would mean that the nexus 92's are specially commisioned and there are no other similar fans) or ball and sleeve versions of them?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:30 am

mathias wrote:
Edward Ng wrote:
:lol: You've snipped out the "given the relatively small price difference" part that suggested that you were treating the panaflos as more than a reference sample.

Back on topic, what I'm wondering is are these definitly not related in any way to nexus 92's, or could they be worse sleeve bearing(which I guess would mean that the nexus 92's are specially commisioned and there are no other similar fans) or ball and sleeve versions of them?
Is this the whole Canadian grammar vs. American grammar thing? :wink: :P

j/k

Anyhow, I don't recall specifications anywhere talking about the bearing type on these babies.

frankgehry

dorothy bradbury

Post by frankgehry » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:51 am

On the dorothy bradbury site there seems to be a whole new line of panaflow models - panaflo (M3)

All fans are the new Minebea-Panaflo model (M3), post Jun04 (4G/4H/4I/4J/4K/4L).
The merger created a super-tier-1 Japan fan/motor/bearing maker, the new M3 fans are the result of a revised product:
lower friction fluid dynamic bearings, exceptionally low noise, new smoothness & tighter acoustics and now new blades.

I wish more had rpm sensing. - FG