Asus Vintage S

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sandert

Asus Vintage S

Post by sandert » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Anyone experience with the Asus Vintage S, and the noise the powerunit makes? Read somewhere it was dead silent, but I hardly beleef it.... so anyone?

Link: http://www.asus.com/products/desktop/vi ... erview.htm

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Re: Asus Vintage S

Post by David Mitchell » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:41 pm

sandert wrote:Anyone experience with the Asus Vintage S, and the noise the powerunit makes? Read somewhere it was dead silent, but I hardly beleef it.... so anyone?

Link: http://www.asus.com/products/desktop/vi ... erview.htm
I quite like that case. If only it were for AMD processors..

Newegg has it, by the way.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:17 am

David Mitchell wrote: I quite like that case. If only it were for AMD processors..

Newegg has it, by the way.
Assuming it has standard m-ATX standoff locations, couldn't you just pull out the included SiS board and replace it with the m-ATX board of your choice?

*EDIT* - Upon further research, apparently you can use whatever m-ATX board you want. Taken from this Asus page:
Asus sales droid wrote:Vintage series adopts the standard u-ATX M/B, which means you can easily upgrade into preferred platforms no matter it's Intel, ATI, nVidia, SIS or VIA solution. And users can simply upgrade and purchase any standard component off the shelf.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:11 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Assuming it has standard m-ATX standoff locations, couldn't you just pull out the included SiS board and replace it with the m-ATX board of your choice?

*EDIT* - Upon further research, apparently you can use whatever m-ATX board you want. Taken from this Asus page:
Asus sales droid wrote:Vintage series adopts the standard u-ATX M/B, which means you can easily upgrade into preferred platforms no matter it's Intel, ATI, nVidia, SIS or VIA solution. And users can simply upgrade and purchase any standard component off the shelf.
Ah, I didn't know that uATX and mATX are interchangeable. I wonder if the motherboard would have any resale value.

TomMM

Post by TomMM » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 am

'uATX' is really micro-ATX (the u looks a bit like the micro symbol). mATX is another short form for micro-ATX. So they are the same thing.

Buy this system, pulling out the MB, and replacing it with another sounds unnecessarily expensive.

What about the Antec Aria instead? Isn't it supposed to be quiet?

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:51 am

TomMM wrote:'uATX' is really micro-ATX (the u looks a bit like the micro symbol). mATX is another short form for micro-ATX. So they are the same thing.
Ah, thanks for making that connection.
Buy this system, pulling out the MB, and replacing it with another sounds unnecessarily expensive.
As it happens — I didn't think about it until after my previous post — I have an ASUS Socket A mATX motherboard sitting beside me. I was looking for an I/O shield for it. It appears that the Vintage S would be a perfect fit, down to the missing shield! This could work out quite well.
What about the Antec Aria instead? Isn't it supposed to be quiet?
I don't like the look of the Aria much.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:02 pm

David Mitchell wrote:I don't like the look of the Aria much.
It looks better than I recalled, actually, but whether it's quiet depends on who you ask, and, I'm certain, what goes in it. Either way, it seems easier to make a larger case work well if you don't really want or need the small size.