Using hardware fan panel to control CPU cooling!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

How do you control CPU heatsink fan?

Hardware Fan Control Panel
42%
Motherboard
58%

Total votes: 12

filete

Using hardware fan panel to control CPU cooling!

Post by filete » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Hi!

This is some components I am using to build
a DAW workstation:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu
Akasa AK-FC-03 fan control

I would like hear from members with similar system,
who is using a fan panel or the motherboard to connect
the CPU heatsink fan!
Please vote on the pool, and reply with some advice/suggestions/experiences...

Your opinion will be much appreciate!
:wink:

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:51 am

I use the Asus Q-fan feature on my A8N-SLI Deluxe to control the fan, because that way I don't have to worry about remembering to turn it up myself.
The other fans in the case are wired to a fan controller at the front though.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:16 am

I use Panaflos and haven't been all that happy with the use of PWM regulation for fan control (the typical form of regulation found on motherboards).

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:38 am

Your poll needs another option: None of the above. Rather than rely on a controller (either hardware or software), a simpler solution is to just hardwire the fan at a speed which balances the noise against the cooling required. With modern fans and heatsinks it pretty simple to get fan speeds down to near ambient levels. Often a constant fan noise is less objectionable than one that ramps up and down frequently.

ilh

Post by ilh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:53 am

What he said.

In my new build I'm tuning my fans with fanmates so that temperatures are acceptable at full load (BurnK7, Prime95, RTHDRIBL) for hours and finding that fairly low voltages are cool enough and quite quiet. Then I'll just leave them fixed. Sure, I could be quieter at idle if the fans automatically slowed down, but I find changing noise to be more objectionable.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:16 am

Besides, your CPU should never be idling. It should always be Folding for Team SPCR. :wink:

padmewan

related questions from a n00b

Post by padmewan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:52 pm

I'm starting to look into alternative cooling for my CPU and the articles on SPCR are too advanced for me.

The most burning question I have is: do the aftermarket solutions (I'm thinking specifically of the Zalman 7000) fans connect to the mobo so that they automatically step up / down with heat? I'm pretty sure my stock fan does this, and it seems silly to me if a new solution would require me to stick a thermometer in the oven and switch the fan manually. Yet it seems like so many of these solutions have a manual switch... I don't quite get what the point is?

(I just got an Arctic Cooler + 9800 Pro combo and it also has that switch... how do you know whetehr you should turn it up or not in that case too???)