Antec p160 or ...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

queridam

Antec p160 or ...

Post by queridam » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:01 am

Hi!

excused my English i'm italian

How does the P160 compare noise wise to the 37000BQE?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Antec p160 or ...

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:05 am

queridam wrote:Hi!

excused my English i'm italian

How does the P160 compare noise wise to the 37000BQE?
There's no comparison. The 3700BQE will make for a much quieter system.

P160 has excellent airflow, but at the expense of a lot of noise escaping from the front bezel, and it's aluminum construction plus large panel size gives it worse than average resonation noise.

Oh, and WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

Talz

Post by Talz » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:35 pm

I like aluminum cases, I like Antec, but Antec's aluminum cases are just flimsy from what I've seen. Basically Antec tends to use thin materials, this is not a huge problem with steel even if it is not optimal for acoustics. But with aluminum it will become a big problem. They do have some improvements with their Aria SFF and upcoming P180 though, aluminum around plastic which from what I've seen/heard of the Aria works fairly well.

I really advise trying to look at any aluminum cases in person if you can, compare the material thickness etc, most are very thin and resonate badly, even the best aluminum case will have a slight tendency to reasonate like a thinner steel case though.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:27 pm

Talz wrote:I like aluminum cases, I like Antec, but Antec's aluminum cases are just flimsy from what I've seen. Basically Antec tends to use thin materials, this is not a huge problem with steel even if it is not optimal for acoustics. But with aluminum it will become a big problem. They do have some improvements with their Aria SFF and upcoming P180 though, aluminum around plastic which from what I've seen/heard of the Aria works fairly well.

I really advise trying to look at any aluminum cases in person if you can, compare the material thickness etc, most are very thin and resonate badly, even the best aluminum case will have a slight tendency to reasonate like a thinner steel case though.
the 3700BQE is what I have now, had it for about 1 week.

It's sick. Awesome airflow, which I NEVER see in any case I look at in the stores. Always something choking it, or a port for air in a place that just stops an even flow from lower to higher in the case.

p160 though is certainly a pretty case. id go case dampening materials, decoupled hd, 2 nexus front and rear and a PHantom 350.