Anyone bought a bad Maxtor DM10 yet?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Anyone bought a bad Maxtor DM10 yet?

Post by luminous » Mon May 02, 2005 1:17 am

I know there has been endless debate about which drive is best, but a lot of it depends on luck.

I'm sitting here with 2 Samsung Spinpoints P80 160Gb 8Mb cache. I made sure that when I first purchased them they were both going to be Nidecs. One is great, the other was terrible.

I returned the bad one to Samsung asking for a Nidec, and got a JVC :( It whines :(

The problem is that although some of the Samsung drives are really good, there are a lot of them that whine :(

I'm just wondering if there is the same problem with the Maxtor's. Has anyone got a bad one yet? I need a new drive and do not fancy the Samsung lottery atm.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon May 02, 2005 2:39 am

MikeC will be publishing a review of hard drives soon. I suggest you wait until then if possible. He has made a few preliminary comments about the Maxtor drive he tested if you want to serach the forums.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Tue May 03, 2005 9:37 am

I await his review eargerly. The one problem with the SPCR reviews is that they can only review what they receive. Now that was an obvious statement, right? :)

As we all know there can be a lot of variability between drives, especially with the Samsung models, only the end users can create some sort of poll of what percentage of drives are good.

If anyone has bought a DM10 that was not as good as they expected, please post here.

Splinter

Post by Splinter » Tue May 03, 2005 10:07 am

I liked my 200gb SATA DM10 so much that I just bought anotherone, I get it thursday.