Sonata II - Neglected due to P180?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dni

Sonata II - Neglected due to P180?

Post by dni » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:58 pm

While I, like everyone else, really like the P180, I don't want to ignore the Sonata II as a viable option.

Does anyone know when it's supposed to come out? Can we expect a "tour" of it as we received for the P180?

Why should I get one over the other, in terms of advantages/disadvantages? Alternately, why are YOU choosing one over the other?

Mr_Smartepants

Re: Sonata II - Neglected due to P180?

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:04 pm

dni wrote:Why should I get one over the other, in terms of advantages/disadvantages? Alternately, why are YOU choosing one over the other?
I'd get the P180 purely for the "SPCR" logo! :lol:

Seriously though, the P180 is massive. I like the compactness of my Sonata and I'm looking into building a slim SFF for HTPC duties (Antec Minuet, Hush, or TranquilPC)
The P180 would be ideal for those getting into watercooling or just have massive amounts of drives/hardware. Let's face it, the P180 is the ideal quiet server chassis. The Sonata II would be ideal for the 'average' home user.

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:06 am

i was thinking of P180 but its just too big for me, so i'm thinking of sonata 2 instead, or even sonata 1

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:30 am

I predict that the Sonata II will be available very soon:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=22413

propheci

Post by propheci » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:53 am

i agree. the P180 seems really nice but it's just too big for my taste. with all its hype, the sonata II has been virtually ignored. i know i'll be getting one when it comes out, but it would be nice to see some more info on it.

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:50 am

I don't understand why anyone would want the Sonata I anymore. The 3700 BQE is a superior (cooling, noise) case and less expensive. The SLK3000 is even better without PS. The only advantage for the Sonata I might be a slightly smaller size (1.5 inches) and more shiny black paint.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:03 am

hofffam wrote: The only advantage for the Sonata I might be a slightly smaller size (1.5 inches) and more shiny black paint.
Thats about right, yeah.. :lol: Considering i need very little airflow, i would pick the Sonata over my current 3700AMB anyday. It looks much better, though its still nothing that spectacular. Iit may just be the color of the AMB, i dont like this beige color that much.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:25 am

nici wrote:
hofffam wrote: The only advantage for the Sonata I might be a slightly smaller size (1.5 inches) and more shiny black paint.
Thats about right, yeah.. :lol: Considering i need very little airflow, i would pick the Sonata over my current 3700AMB anyday. It looks much better, though its still nothing that spectacular. Iit may just be the color of the AMB, i dont like this beige color that much.
SLK3000B ?

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:26 am

The 3700 BQE = Black Quiet Edition.....

SLK3000B = Black

I would probably buy the SLK3000 B because of the "normal" hard drive mounting and no PS.....

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:24 pm

which of those antecs is quietest? i was thinking of P180 but its just too big for my needs. :/

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:37 pm

Yeah, if i could get the 3000B without the holes in the side i might get it :lol: Or the 3700BQE without PSU, i already have too many un-used PSUs lying around that im too lazy to sell.. :? Are BQE doors available separately? I dont think so, as the cases are so cheap.. a Lian-Li door costs under 30€, in proportion to that the antec door should cost something like 10€... I wouldnt pay 30€ for a door to a 50€ case :lol: Holes in the B, and PSU in the BQE.. Or maybe ill just keep my current very boring case, its much easier :roll:

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:31 pm

nici wrote:Yeah, if i could get the 3000B without the holes in the side i might get it :lol: Or the 3700BQE without PSU, i already have too many un-used PSUs lying around that im too lazy to sell.. :? Are BQE doors available separately? I dont think so, as the cases are so cheap.. a Lian-Li door costs under 30€, in proportion to that the antec door should cost something like 10€... I wouldnt pay 30€ for a door to a 50€ case :lol: Holes in the B, and PSU in the BQE.. Or maybe ill just keep my current very boring case, its much easier :roll:
I sold my BQE PSU and Antec case fan on eBay very quickly for $25 plus shipping. Probably could have sold it for more money, but I listed it for $25 Buy-it-now. But that was in the US where there is big market PSU's and an Antec PSU is considered one the better ones (for people not into quiet computing).

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:48 pm

any of you guys replaced the included psu with a 120mm fanned psu like s12 430?

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:58 pm

perplex - you should simply read the Recommended and Cases and Damping sections of the SPCR site. There are detailed reviews available of many cases including the Sonata, the BQE/AMB, and the SLK3000. You will see the SLK3000 rated 8/7 for Airflow/Noise while the BQE/AMB are 7/6 and the Sonata a lowly 6/6. So SPCR testing says the SLK3000 is the quietest Antec case tested so far.

Have you never looked at these parts of SPCR????

Sabrewulf165

Post by Sabrewulf165 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:27 pm

My last quiet computer was in a Sonata I, but it was the "original" revision of the Sonata I that came with a PSU that had no SATA connectors. It was a good case, but I would agree that the current 3700 and 3000 models are better.

I just checked out a newer revision Sonata I at a local store the other day, and IMO the manufacturing quality has gone way down. Seems like a lot more rough edges, and the measurements don't seem to be as close to spec, making working with it a pain. The protruding metal nubs inbetween the PCI slots, which were always a pain in the ass anyway, are WAY too tight on the newer Sonatas, making installation and especially removal of cards a very frustrating and even dangerous affair.

In short, if you bought a Sonata two years ago, the current 3000/3700 are better, but probably not worth upgrading. If you're buying a case NOW, I wouldn't even consider the Sonata at all unless you really need front audio/1394, or as someone else mentioned... shiny paint :lol:

jnotop

Post by jnotop » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:58 am

When it came out(and when I bought mine) the sonata was one of the few options out there if you wanted something that was quieter than almost anything out of the box. I think I've had mine close to 2 years, if you weren't a SPCR-pioneer it was a pretty big deal, components were cooler, seasonics weren't exactly at microcenter and the truepower was considered more of an elite-psu than it likely is now. If you wanted a reasonably-sized case and didn't feel like buying the AMB knowing you'd have to sell the PSU it was a no-brainer. It was improved-upon at the cost of expanded-size in the BQE, but it took a few years to really make it seem outdated. It's last-generation hardware, but probably got some people hooked on the idea that computers could be quieter than late-1980's oldsmobiles and from there you know how the sickness grows.

whitebloodcell

Re: Sonata II - Neglected due to P180?

Post by whitebloodcell » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote:
dni wrote:Why should I get one over the other, in terms of advantages/disadvantages? Alternately, why are YOU choosing one over the other?
I'd get the P180 purely for the "SPCR" logo! :lol:

Seriously though, the P180 is massive. I like the compactness of my Sonata and I'm looking into building a slim SFF for HTPC duties (Antec Minuet, Hush, or TranquilPC)
The P180 would be ideal for those getting into watercooling or just have massive amounts of drives/hardware. Let's face it, the P180 is the ideal quiet server chassis. The Sonata II would be ideal for the 'average' home user.
I have to say the P180 is hardly the best case for Watercooling. There are only a few viable places for Rad placement. You could fit one 120mm Rad below the 5.25" Bays. If you wanted a PA160 or a Dual 120mm Rad setup the only feasible place I see is completely removing the lower drive cage and cutting a hole in the side.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:23 pm

While I, like everyone else, really like the P180
Not quite everybody !
I would like to see the Sonata 2 in "person" and have a good look at it up close . but I think it would make a very good starting point for a good system
Might need a bit of modding though .
I now have 2 of the original Sonatas and I am not unhappy with them .I have had a 3700amb and did not like it much (too big for starters) and a few minor annoyances . I would actually prefer something smaller and more efficient than the Sonata but the 2 systems in Sonata cases are full size ATX .
A few people on this forum believe that the Sonata is too small and a bit cramped but I have found that correctly laid out and with the "Standard SPCR" mods it is a very good case and I believe (hope) this will hold true for the Sonata II
Just a note - the Sonata is twice the volume of the InWin V500 series cases I use for most of my builds .