Do you prefer Audigy 2ZS or M-Revolution 7.1?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:05 am

Here's a double-blind subjective test (with only two subjects :? )

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q ... dex.x?pg=9

I guess what it comes down to is that the Audigy2 and Revo both sound very good, wtih the Revo slightly better. How much is slightly better worth to you in terms of gaming performance and money?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:47 pm

jackylman wrote:Here's a double-blind subjective test (with only two subjects :? )

I guess what it comes down to is that the Audigy2 and Revo both sound very good, wtih the Revo slightly better. How much is slightly better worth to you in terms of gaming performance and money?
I would question the accuracy of the so-called “double blind” tests in the link above. The author did not publish any statistical results of the tests (other than that the listeners consumed a case of beer), and probably does not understand how many tests need to be conducted to ensure the results are statistically significant (and not within the margin of error of the sample size).

As an informal listening test, it is OK, but probably not a true double blind test.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:42 am

m0002a wrote:
jackylman wrote:Here's a double-blind subjective test (with only two subjects :? )

I would question the accuracy of the so-called “double blind” tests in the link above. The author did not publish any statistical results of the tests (other than that the listeners consumed a case of beer), and probably does not understand how many tests need to be conducted to ensure the results are statistically significant (and not within the margin of error of the sample size).

As an informal listening test, it is OK, but probably not a true double blind test.
Agreed. But it's the best comparison I could find. Note that the beer was consumed after the test :lol: I also can't believe they only used 2 subjects. I wish there was a better test with more subjects and more cards.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:04 pm

Why don't you just buy or borrow a Revo card and hear for yourself which is better for you? It will give you a more definitive answer than just reading reviews, arguing and such! I have personally owned and heard both, and know which sounds better to my ears.

Regards.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:37 pm

which do you think soudns better to your ears?

on an unrelated subject, does anyone have any idea how much the x-fi will come out for? if it is around $100 then shouldn't we wait for that?

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:29 am

dan wrote:which do you think soudns better to your ears?
The Revolution, as I stated previously.

X-bit Labs has done a review on the Revo (and compared it to the A2). Here is their subjective opinion on the Revo's sound.

Regards.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 am

thanks Zorander,

by the way, is there any possibility the xi-fi chip could be in a quality card for $100?

obviously, if the creative labs xi-fi chip card will newegg for $100, then i will wait for that, if the xi-fi chip is, like, $200, i'll newgg the revolution for $92.

while i don't deny the x-fi will far surpass the revolution prodigy x-mystique and audigy 2zs, $100 i'll bite, $150 or $200 is too expensive.

to newegg.. verb "to buy from newegg"

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:44 pm

Are you "neweggin'" the Revo 5.1 or 7.1?

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:34 pm

Why not the E-MU 0404? IIRC, it should be priced close to the Revo (and others in similar price range).

I have heard the 0404 in another system and I find it a bold-sounding card, with terrific details (without being thrown in your face, as in the case of A2ZS) and wide soundstage. The trade-off is it does not sound as sweet as the Revo (result of more accurate frequency response) and its stereo-only output (does not matter if you use headphones or stereo hifi systems though).

Cheers!

p.s. I have not been reading much into new cards, including the X-Fi, so I can't comment on it. AFAIC, as long as a card sounds good to your ears (regardless of newer competition or others' opinions), you are getting your $$$'s worth.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:53 pm

Nici -

What you say is true to a certain extent. The biggest difference imho is the power supply in the cd players (good ones, not best buy ones). Most of the cost in equipment is in the power supplies and the chassis. Cleaner power ~ cleaner sound.

At least thats what I have come to learn and hear. - But hearing is subjective so... YMMV :p

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:08 pm

jackylman wrote:Are you "neweggin'" the Revo 5.1 or 7.1?
i just newegged a sp2004c! (and depending on how quiet it is, probably a scythe ninja)

as for revo 7.1....i *might* wait for x-fi if it is around $100. isn't it coming out in August?

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/

2-152-022 HD 200GB SAMSUNG | SP2004C - OEM
(Serial#: S07GJ10Y523209)

$105.00

$105.00

Subtotal

$105.00
Tax

$0.00
Shipping and Handling charge

$2.99
Amount Paid

$107.99

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:28 am

Tiamat--> True.. No doubt that a 3000$ player will sound better than a pc with a 200$ sound-card when using high-quality speakers and amps, but i suspect that a 500$ player wont sound any better than the PC. I dont have a cd-player so i cant test it.. Though the Grados would probably be accurate enough to make the difference audible if there is a difference. Ill just stick with the A2ZS for now though, i dont have room for a cd-player anyway.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:32 am

Typically,speakers are not only the weak link,but will also have a discernable effect on the sound,whether warm or brisk,rich or detailed. I built my Living room system,and small closefield monitors for my room-and the puter,running from a nice Nad power amp.. The Living room speaker array totals 18 drivers for bi-amped stereo,CD/DVD is a toshiba with an onboard 24/192 chip,DVD-Audio ready. While the $ spent were moderate-the sound is great. I can easily notice the charachter of a Schoeps miked recording vs one done with Naks or AKGs. I tend to lean toward M-Audio as studio-grade gear is their bag,Creative's thing is the mass market and gaming,though the fairly new EMU line has real promise.
The ESI Julia is interesting,but realistically,I don't expect to record live to HD,so the 5.1 Revoluton appears to fit my needs for what I'm building next.

ACCURATE sound into ACCURATE speakers should sound like the original source material. My Heil tweets are +/- 2b from 2k-22k,which is very accurate. They sound sweet and smooth,if you'd even say they have a sound.

Creative has narrowed the gap-but their high end gear is too pricey,and their affordable stuff has not earned a reputation so far.