Horrible Experience @ TekGems.com

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dynamiks

Horrible Experience @ TekGems.com

Post by dynamiks » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:45 pm

Okay last week I had went to Tekgems to place an order on some Yate Loon fans, since they had them for the cheapest price. Jab-tech.com had them for a little bit more, so I decided to go with TekGems.com Well I had the worst shopping experience from this store, than I ever had from any other shopping online.

I had placed an order on Monday July 18 in the evening during store non-operating hours. That same night I had requested to cancel my order because I realized I used the wrong credit card, and decided to replace the order with my Paypal account. When I had replaced my order, the fans now were being offered with free shipping. So I figured a nice little bonus for me. :) Well Tuesday afternoon comes, and the guy (Sun Kim) who contacted me gives me a hard time about canceling my order, asking me a few times back and forth in email about why I wanted to cancel. I had to explain numerous times my reason. He went and charged my credit card anyway after I had requested to cancel. I assume he did this thinking that if he charged my credit card that I would change my mind. After charging my card, I told him to please remove the charge especially since my order has not shipped, he finally agreed. So now he changed the payment from my credit card, to Paypal.

Now that the dispute has been settled, I would assume my shipment would go out today, because we spoke about this early afternoon time here in NY, so the time in California was still morning. On Thursday (July 21st) , I emailed requesting a tracking number since one hasn't been provided yet. My email was never replied to. So I went the weekend without hearing from the guy. I figured he probably sent out my order and it would be here by Monday or Tuesday. Well Tuesday (July 27th) afternoon comes, and I still haven't recieved anything. I emailed again requesting a tracking number since it has now been a week after my order has been placed. He replies back and tells me he hasn't shipped my order yet. Right then I was furious, because I was expecting my package to be here today, and he tells me he hasn't even shipped it yet.

So I requested he cancel my order. He emails me back to tell me he had to go to a wedding and didn't have time to ship out my order, then asks if I'm sure that I want to cancel (I ask myself is this company ran by only one person, for my order to not have been shipped due to one person having to go to a wedding?) Also I didn't know wedding's were 7 days long... Because thats how long ago it was that my order was placed, and still hasn't been shipped. I told him only exception would be if you can send the order 2nd day air instead of ground because I have been expecting this package and need it ASAP.

He replies back with an attitude agreeing, then telling me that he is going to raise the price on this item because it is not worth the hassle of selling it at this price. A few minutes later I recieve an email from Paypal, alerting me that he has refunded me. Then he emails me back and says sorry I couldn't send out the order because I have too many other things to deal with, so I have refunded your money back to you.

What kind of company is this? That is the most disrespectful customer service I have ever witnessed before. I would strongly suggest that you think things over before dealing with this company? I'd much rather have spent my few extra dollars @ Jab-tech.com for these fans, than having to deal with this. Not only did he waste my time when I was in need of these fans, but now they are not even coming at all, and I have to wait even longer to order them from somewhere else.

Then tonight he sends me this email

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday 7/28/2005 12:59 AM
To: 'dynamiks@*******'
Subject: RE: Americart id:s-4469 order:1869-6085-5244

You're pathetic for writing a review on resellerratings - You're a bigger loser than I thought.
Last edited by dynamiks on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

gitto

Post by gitto » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:43 pm

:shock:

Wow

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:07 am

Quite interesting... However I would also like to hear Mr. Kim's response, as he is also registered at this forum.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:14 am

If it makes you feel better this is the place to complain, however I've ordered from them many times w/o any problems. Do they still have free shipping? - FG

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:41 am

frankgehry wrote:If it makes you feel better this is the place to complain, however I've ordered from them many times w/o any problems. Do they still have free shipping? - FG
No, and prices have been jacked just like how he mentioned in the email. I guess He felt that in dealing with me, its not worth it to sell the fans at those prices anymore. Jab-tech.com all the way for Yate Loons now. 8)

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:43 am

Aleksi wrote:Quite interesting... However I would also like to hear Mr. Kim's response, as he is also registered at this forum.
Oh yes let him respond... I'd like to hear it also.
And I have copies of all the emails too should anyone wish to see them...

Here's his response from ResellerRatings.com
7/27/05 11:57 PM
Yes, it was all my fault. Please don't forget to mention your opportunistic move in placing a second order when there was a glitch on the web store where free shipping was enabled for that product. How much do you think I make on the product as it is? You wouldn't care, so I guess it doesn't really matter. If you're going to lose it because I have other personal committments to attend to, then I think its best we not do business. Yes, preparation for a wedding is more important to me than shipping out your order. At the price I was selling it to you at (including free shipping) I would have only netted me a whopping $5.00 - honestly, that's not enough to handle upset customers, even if it my fault with not being able to prioritize as you want.
http://www.resellerratings.com/s3622/c2 ... ment214992

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:12 am

D,

I understand you are really mad about this, but what exactly do you want? I doubt that any vendor is going to argue with a customer on this forum. If you need fans immediately and are in the city tomorrow I have 3 orange yate loons still in packaging that you can have/trade/use. - FG

Nevermind.
Last edited by frankgehry on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:17 am

frankgehry wrote:D,

I understand you are really mad about this, but what exactly do you want? I doubt that any vendor is going to argue with a customer on this forum. If you need fans immediately and are in the city tomorrow I have 3 orange yate loons still in packaging that you can have/trade/use. - FG
I don't really want anything. I just felt I woudl share my story with the people here since alot of you probably intend on buying these fans from him since they are pretty popular on this site. I'm just giving everyone a heads up, that is all. Of course it is still everyone's decision on if they still want to do business with him or not. It is no longer in my hands.

As far as those 3 Yate Loons, I'd gladly like to have/trade for them... PM me.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:18 am

Wow! :shock:

I've ordered fans from Sun Kim before and have had nothing but great service from Mr. Kim/Tekgems. You probably don't realize this but he runs the shop from his house (AFAIK) and has very little stock on-hand. Most of his deliveries are drop-shipped from a wholesale warehouse (evertek or others), not his house.

Whatever, I'm sure this incident could have been dealt with very differently by both parties involved. A little consideration (both buyer/seller) reaps huge benefits in the business world where long-term loyalty can be worth more in the long-run than a quick savings.

My nickel's worth of free advice.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:20 am

Sure. I'd still like to help out if I can. I'll send you a pm. - FG

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:26 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Wow! :shock:

I've ordered fans from Sun Kim before and have had nothing but great service from Mr. Kim/Tekgems. You probably don't realize this but he runs the shop from his house (AFAIK) and has very little stock on-hand. Most of his deliveries are drop-shipped from a wholesale warehouse (evertek or others), not his house.

Whatever, I'm sure this incident could have been dealt with very differently by both parties involved. A little consideration (both buyer/seller) reaps huge benefits in the business world where long-term loyalty can be worth more in the long-run than a quick savings.

My nickel's worth of free advice.
I'm glad to see you all had good experiences, too bad the same didn't go for me.

Good thing you mentioned he has his items drop shipped, because I was just about to say he has listed on his website that he has 1400 fans in stock.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I just found these 2 feedbacks on the most recent page of his ebay feedback, and thought it was funny... I guess I'm not the only one.

Buyer: daywish18236qf
I received the wrong item. It was accepted back but I was told to shut up
Reply by tekgems: You were ranting, so I had to tell you to stop talking so I can help you return.
Follow-up by daywish18236qf: Complaining. It i a customer's right to complain when a product is wrong

Buyer: cube602
Handling of payment and shipping a little slow, packaging and product were great
Reply by tekgems: Lost money on product. Need to serve customers that I make money on first.

So basically I was one of those customers he didn't make money off of, so my order got put to the bottom of the list in priority. :roll:

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Wow. A seller should NEVER address his customers in such a manner. Even if the customer is wrong. Sarcasm, rude comments, etc. are NOT the way to build a company's reputation as a fair, honest business with good customer support. I certainly would not even consider buying from a seller with such an attitude

limee

Post by limee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:55 pm

"He replies back with an attitude agreeing, then telling me that he is going to raise the price on this item because it is not worth the hassle of selling it at this price."

"You're pathetic for writing a review on resellerratings - You're a bigger loser than I thought."

"Buyer: daywish18236qf
I received the wrong item. It was accepted back but I was told to shut up"
Wow, maybe you should ask if this guy works for Howard Stern.

DGK

Post by DGK » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 pm

I have only placed one order with Tekgems and I had great luck with them.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:51 am

This TekGem guy looks like he is struggling... I bet he has an MBA!!!

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:27 pm

Mar. wrote:Wow. A seller should NEVER address his customers in such a manner. Even if the customer is wrong. Sarcasm, rude comments, etc. are NOT the way to build a company's reputation as a fair, honest business with good customer support. I certainly would not even consider buying from a seller with such an attitude
I agree. If there's some kind of glitch with the website that makes a non-disasterous mistake, then the seller should just sigh, remind himself to be more careful next time, maybe explain the situation to the customer, and then honor it anyway. It's not like a $1000.00 item was listed for $0.10 or something.

If he's serious about running a business he should take the time to excuse himself for a known, expected delay (notify the customer), or make the time to fulfill both his commitments and the expectations of his customers. You can't just let a customer, regardless of how much profit you're making off of him :roll: , be left wondering what's going on.

People don't really remember the stores where nothing eventful happens and everything proceeds routinely, people really remember the stores where:
A) There's a problem of some kind and the customer has a frustrating or even angering experience getting it resolved.
B) There's a problem of some kind and the customer was really impressed by how well the company handled it.

The more I think about it, and given his attitude of prioritizing customers based on profit margin, I would bet that TekGems is one of those stores where everything goes smoothly if there's no problems, but once you inconvenience them in some way or have a problem they can become a nightmare to deal with. Just my guess. Unfortunately I think this kind of Jekyll and Hyde attitude from store owners is more common than we'd like.

I don't do a whole lot of online/mail ordering on a regular basis, but I've already experienced what I've mentioned, and I know what "good service" is. Sure, price matters, but as I get older I've learned to value good communication and customer service more. Places that manage to have both decent prices and quality service are the ones that flourish in the end.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:26 am

Some of you guys may not have been around 6 or 7 months ago when the post "This fan looks like a nexus 120 (for $8 + shipping)" echoed throughout the silencing community. That was when a nexus 120 cost $20 or more. What followed was 11 pages of posts detailing every order, delivery time, unable to deliver - will try again tomorrow ups notes, photos from germany of 2 styrofoam boxes of 20 fans each, etc.. The dealers - compgeeks, isellsurplus, and tekgems didn't have a clue about the orange rush. Even today, if you order 10 yate loons from xxxxxx you will get 10 young lin's instead. I don't excuse what happened but there is plenty of evidence in the "looks like a nexus" post that tekgems provides excellent service. - FG

I never filled out the reseller rating forms, but I would give them good marks.

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Tekgem ordered from them before, got all it within the time frame he suggested (emailed him about it) and i was happy.

Give this guy some slack :/ Maybe this is his 2nd job which he runs after his real full time job. People do make mistakes...