Antec SLK-3000B or Super LanBoy ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

YoniD

Antec SLK-3000B or Super LanBoy ?

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:44 am

Hello :)

I want to change case, to make my PC (Duron 800mhz, Morex case with two very noisy fans of 80mm) quieter. My power supply is "relatively" quiet, it is the fans of the case that make noise and even vibrate, etc. Moreover, the power supply is near the processor, in the opposite, that is not the best for the ventilation:

I hesitate between two cases. The Antec SLK3000B, which is not expensive and which is recognized as a silent case in several reviews on the Net, with its adjustable rear fan, its special fixings for the hard disks, etc. The problem is that I find it a little bit too big (I must remove a drawer of my desk to install it), and maybe too sober.

There is also the Antec Super LanBoy. It is with the same format as my current tower, and it is beautiful. The main problems are that it is expensive (80€), it is a little bit old now, the fans are apparently fairly quiet (execpt if we connects them in 5v, if somebody could explain me how), and that there would be problems of vibrations with the hard disks.

Thanks for your advises :)

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:07 am

I severely doubt you need either of these case fans. My family's Duron 750 runs only with the CPU fan and the power supply fan. Granted, it has onboard video, but seeing as your graphics card is passive, it's likely not very hot.

I say, download Speedfan, unplug (and preferably remove) the fans and check the temperatures. They should be well within limits of comfort.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:14 am

I have the SLK3700AMB (the bronze one) and, yes, it is a bit understated. But I like it that way. It's a bit big and, I must warn you, quite heavy when loaded up. The Lanboy will undoubtedly solve that problem, but the various reviews I've read of it say that the case is too flimsy, and I wouldn't want it to vibrate in sync with my fans :(. Maybe some Lanboy owners can chime in?

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:30 am

qviri wrote:I severely doubt you need either of these case fans. My family's Duron 750 runs only with the CPU fan and the power supply fan. Granted, it has onboard video, but seeing as your graphics card is passive, it's likely not very hot.

I say, download Speedfan, unplug (and preferably remove) the fans and check the temperatures. They should be well within limits of comfort.
Thank you for your answer. The main problem is that it's often very hot in my room. I removed the case fans, but i fear to have problems without them, and after i heard the processor fan, and it's very difficult with this configuration to fix another fan for the processor with the power supply just near.
Last edited by YoniD on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:32 am

tempeteduson wrote:I have the SLK3700AMB (the bronze one) and, yes, it is a bit understated. But I like it that way. It's a bit big and, I must warn you, quite heavy when loaded up. The Lanboy will undoubtedly solve that problem, but the various reviews I've read of it say that the case is too flimsy, and I wouldn't want it to vibrate in sync with my fans :(. Maybe some Lanboy owners can chime in?
Thanks for your answer :)
Yes, i fear about these problems with the Super LanBoy.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:43 am

YoniD wrote:Thank you for your answer. The main problem is that it's often very hot in my room. I removed the case fans, but i fear to have problems without them, and after i heard the processor fan, and it's very difficult with this configuration to fix another fan for the processor with the power supply just near.
Personally, I would at least try to see if Speedfan will report your temperatures (it won't in my system, but it might in yours) before buying a new case, but it's up to you really.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:52 am

qviri wrote:
YoniD wrote:Thank you for your answer. The main problem is that it's often very hot in my room. I removed the case fans, but i fear to have problems without them, and after i heard the processor fan, and it's very difficult with this configuration to fix another fan for the processor with the power supply just near.
Personally, I would at least try to see if Speedfan will report your temperatures (it won't in my system, but it might in yours) before buying a new case, but it's up to you really.
I tried SpeedFan, and it reports the CPU temperature (58°C). And it's a little bit cold today. The problem is that the air from the processor fan is stopped by the power supply, so it's not the best for the ventilation.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:01 am

Well that Super Lanboy is the flimsiest/lightest case I have ever touched. No doubt it will vibrate and transmit every vibration into the frame and panels.

There are nicer alternatives to these ancient case designs (blah).

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:27 am

Bluefront wrote:Well that Super Lanboy is the flimsiest/lightest case I have ever touched. No doubt it will vibrate and transmit every vibration into the frame and panels.

There are nicer alternatives to these ancient case designs (blah).
Thanks for your answer. And what can you advise to me ?
I think that the SLK-3000B is a good case for me, it's not expansive, and recognize as a silent case in many reviews in the net.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:28 pm

qviri wrote:I severely doubt you need either of these case fans. My family's Duron 750 runs only with the CPU fan and the power supply fan. Granted, it has onboard video, but seeing as your graphics card is passive, it's likely not very hot.

Hmm. First, a passive video card would created a greater reason for having a case fan, not less. There needs to be airflow to cool passive heatsinks, and in that case it needs to come from something other than the PSU.

Aside from which, that video card isn't passive. I know the profile (ATi 95-9700 series) and there's a fan buried in that heatsink.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:30 pm

YoniD.......really there are too many variables, for me to recommend a case to anyone.

With a low power system like you suggest, any number of cases would work. I like to buy cases locally to avoid shipping costs. You might want a common case that everybody uses.....to easily get help. I stopped buying cases with doors, and I like a big window. Maybe you want an all-120mm case.

See what I mean? I've got a thing against Antec...a big sacred cow around here. But maybe a steel Antec is the case for you.....

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Freelancer77 wrote:

Hmm. First, a passive video card would created a greater reason for having a case fan, not less. There needs to be airflow to cool passive heatsinks, and in that case it needs to come from something other than the PSU.

Aside from which, that video card isn't passive. I know the profile (ATi 95-9700 series) and there's a fan buried in that heatsink.
Thanks for the answer :)
It's a Geforce 4 MX 420, and it's passive, there is no fan.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:19 pm

Bluefront wrote:YoniD.......really there are too many variables, for me to recommend a case to anyone.

With a low power system like you suggest, any number of cases would work. I like to buy cases locally to avoid shipping costs. You might want a common case that everybody uses.....to easily get help. I stopped buying cases with doors, and I like a big window. Maybe you want an all-120mm case.

See what I mean? I've got a thing against Antec...a big sacred cow around here. But maybe a steel Antec is the case for you.....
I'll make my choice soon, and i think that the Antec SLK-3000B can be a good case for me.

If there are others advises, don't hesitate to post here :)

andywww

Whoa, hold up!

Post by andywww » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:40 pm

I dunno, it seems like the 3000B would be a good case for you except that its too tall. With a low powered system like yours, I'm not sure the benefits of the 3000B are worth losing a drawer!

It seems like your system runs cool enough that most cases will be able to handle its heat- so getting a shorter case probably won't really impact your temps/noise significantly. Its more important to have quiet fans IN the case.

Also, before you get a new case, have you considered replacing your noisy case fans with some lower speed quiet fans and seeing if the temperatures are acceptable? It may be an easier solution. Some of the commonly recommended brands of 80mm fan are panaflo and nexus, I've only used the panaflos and they're pretty quiet. Not much air though.

You asked how to get 5 volts going to your case fans, well:

If your case fans use molexes for power, then this link describes one way to get 5 volts going to it:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_ind ... apter.html

If your case fan doesn't have molex plugs, the easiest way to lower the voltage to it is to buy a Zalman Fanmate.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:23 pm

YoniD wrote: I tried SpeedFan, and it reports the CPU temperature (58°C). And it's a little bit cold today. The problem is that the air from the processor fan is stopped by the power supply, so it's not the best for the ventilation.
Stopped, or kept away? Does your PSU have a bottom fan? If it does, you could try reversing your CPU fan so that it's not fighting the PSU fan(assuming your CPU is socketed not sloted.)

Since you mentioned having to get rid of a drawer to make room for a taller case, what kind of piece of furniture is your PC in? Is there room behind the case for the air to escape?

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:15 pm

no case should be without a positive pressure case fan in the front unless water cooled maybe.

i mean.... you could get a papst or nexus on the front, not change the volume of sound at all, and provide fresh cold air that will allow the case to breath well and not become a dust bomb of negative pressure.

YoniD

Re: Whoa, hold up!

Post by YoniD » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:13 am

andywww wrote:I dunno, it seems like the 3000B would be a good case for you except that its too tall. With a low powered system like yours, I'm not sure the benefits of the 3000B are worth losing a drawer!

It seems like your system runs cool enough that most cases will be able to handle its heat- so getting a shorter case probably won't really impact your temps/noise significantly. Its more important to have quiet fans IN the case.

Also, before you get a new case, have you considered replacing your noisy case fans with some lower speed quiet fans and seeing if the temperatures are acceptable? It may be an easier solution. Some of the commonly recommended brands of 80mm fan are panaflo and nexus, I've only used the panaflos and they're pretty quiet. Not much air though.

You asked how to get 5 volts going to your case fans, well:

If your case fans use molexes for power, then this link describes one way to get 5 volts going to it:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_ind ... apter.html

If your case fan doesn't have molex plugs, the easiest way to lower the voltage to it is to buy a Zalman Fanmate.
The main problem in replacing my noisy case fans by others, is that the front fan is fixed in a plastic support, which makes vibrations. And it's impossible to fix a new case fan in the case, without this support.

Thanks for the advises for connecting the fans in 5 v.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:20 am

mathias wrote:
YoniD wrote: I tried SpeedFan, and it reports the CPU temperature (58°C). And it's a little bit cold today. The problem is that the air from the processor fan is stopped by the power supply, so it's not the best for the ventilation.
Stopped, or kept away? Does your PSU have a bottom fan? If it does, you could try reversing your CPU fan so that it's not fighting the PSU fan(assuming your CPU is socketed not sloted.)

Since you mentioned having to get rid of a drawer to make room for a taller case, what kind of piece of furniture is your PC in? Is there room behind the case for the air to escape?
I think that the air from the processor fan is kept away, and the power supply doesn't have a bottom fan. You can see it in the pictures.

Well, it's a normal desk, i just have to remove a little drawer to install the SLK-3000B. There will be a little space behind the case.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:23 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:no case should be without a positive pressure case fan in the front unless water cooled maybe.

i mean.... you could get a papst or nexus on the front, not change the volume of sound at all, and provide fresh cold air that will allow the case to breath well and not become a dust bomb of negative pressure.
Ok, so the case must have a fan. The SLK-3000B just have a rear fan, it's enough, or i have to buy another fan for the front of the case ?

Shadowknight

Re: Whoa, hold up!

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:41 am

YoniD wrote:[
The main problem in replacing my noisy case fans by others, is that the front fan is fixed in a plastic support, which makes vibrations. And it's impossible to fix a new case fan in the case, without this support..
1. Remove plastic fan bracket.
2. Attach fan to case with blue tack.
3. .... Profit!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:29 am

YoniD wrote: I think that the air from the processor fan is kept away, and the power supply doesn't have a bottom fan. You can see it in the pictures.
I can't see the bottom, although I do see that there are practically no openings at the back and side of that PSU, so that power supply must have mostly bottom intake, and rather than just blocking the heatsink fan, the power supply is probably fighting it for air. It might even be pulling out air from the PSU. You could try reversing the CPU fan to see what effect it would have, although that would be irrelevant if you get a new case.
YoniD wrote:Well, it's a normal desk, i just have to remove a little drawer to install the SLK-3000B. There will be a little space behind the case.
Even if it seems like enough space, you could still try pulling your computer out a little bit to see if that has much effect on temps.

Have you considered a sonata2 or a 2650BQE?

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:16 pm

mathias wrote:
YoniD wrote: I think that the air from the processor fan is kept away, and the power supply doesn't have a bottom fan. You can see it in the pictures.
I can't see the bottom, although I do see that there are practically no openings at the back and side of that PSU, so that power supply must have mostly bottom intake, and rather than just blocking the heatsink fan, the power supply is probably fighting it for air. It might even be pulling out air from the PSU. You could try reversing the CPU fan to see what effect it would have, although that would be irrelevant if you get a new case.
YoniD wrote:Well, it's a normal desk, i just have to remove a little drawer to install the SLK-3000B. There will be a little space behind the case.
Even if it seems like enough space, you could still try pulling your computer out a little bit to see if that has much effect on temps.

Have you considered a sonata2 or a 2650BQE?

I'll consider your advise to let enough space behind the case to have a better ventilation.

The two cases that you mention have power supply, i want to choose it myself, and the sonata 2 is too expansive.

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:51 pm

YoniD, both cases will serve you well (I have both). Though the super lan boy is a bit flimsy it is nowhere as bad as the Dell and HP cases I've had to work with at work. Both cases, however, have the cheesy plastic front cover. If you enjoy moving your computer around, like the sound ports in front, and like easy access to the power and reset button (I ended up drilling a hole in the case on the 3000B so I didn't have to open the door every time), the super lanboy would be a slightly better choice. The super lanboy is no competition in terms of silence compared to the 3000b, however it also depends what you define as "quiet." With fans low and a low vibration hard drive the super lanboy is still pretty quiet. With your low power components, the back fan probably will be enough for either case, though you'll have to cover the side vents on the 3000B.

I guess that's my 2 cents and my ramblings for what's it worth. Good luck with your choice!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:56 pm

YoniD wrote:The two cases that you mention have power supply, i want to choose it myself, and the sonata 2 is too expansive.
Some people here said they got a really good deal on antec cases by reselling the included power supply.

If you intend to get a new power supply, you might want to get that first, to see how it works in your old case.

YoniD

Post by YoniD » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:29 pm

I made my choice and I bought an Antec SLK-3000B :)
I'm satisfy of this case :)
Thank to all, for your advises.

rei

Post by rei » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:14 am

hi, i just bought a 3000b as well and my suggestion would be to use -1- fan, the 120mm one at the rear. if you are concerned about noise, put a 120mm nexus on it.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:23 pm

2 Nexus fans have the almost the same noise level as 1 nexus fan, so i always always say people should get two of them for a case. I have a super open case front and water cooled cpu and gpu, I have a papst 120 on rear and a phantom 350 for the psu, so like, this is the only situation i say no front fan is needed (im really just circulating some air in the case, not really exhausting much heat.