P180 Case + AN8-SLI Premium

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HenryHonda

P180 Case + AN8-SLI Premium

Post by HenryHonda » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:24 am

Hi, greetings from UK!

first time posting on the forums but researched my last PC (Nexus Breeze + Nexus 350W PSU + Sapphire Ultimate) a lot here...

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who's already built a system around the Antec P180 (great design Mike) with the latest version (1.02) of the Asus mobo (heatpipe cooled NB).

I've got a Phantom 350 sitting in the PSU tunnel, a Gigabyte passively cooled 6600GT graphics on the way and am considering either a Zalmann 7700 or Thermalright XP-120 (with Nexus fan).

With all this passive cooling around, am I going to get by with just the single rear fan (CPU probably 3700+ San Diego)?

Haven't spun-up the Tri-Cools yet - worth swapping for Nexus 120s?

Thanks for any help...

darthan

Post by darthan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:36 pm

Try a Scythe Ninja (if you can find one :( ) for total passive cooling. I'm using it with both the Tri-Cool fans running on low with my CPU overclocked to 2.5GHz (Venice core, but still should be about as hot as your 3700+) and I can't get my CPU temps above 43C in a room that's about 20C.

As for whether or not you should buy nexus fans to replace the Tri-Cools, well since you have the case, turn them on and find out for yourself. Everyone has different noise tolerances and live in different levels of ambient noise. You may or may not like the amount of noise they make on low, I'm fine with mine running on low. They also might not be the loudest things in your case. Since you have them, you might as well build your system, see if you like the amount of noise they make, and then replace them if you don't.

noac

Post by noac » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:04 pm

Hi Henry Honda, greetings from Sweden.

Please tell me how that system turned out. Im basically going to order the same parts. p180, asus a8n sli premium, GA 6600GT...

Im really interested in overall sound and how the GPU tunnel/duct aligned with the GPU, if it helps with the cooling.

Btw anyone know if one can import Scythe Ninja since i cant find it here in Sweden. Is it brand new? We have other Scythe products here but not the ninja.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:22 am

I'm also about to order a similar setup for my next project (6600GT with schoooner, 3000+, P180, Ninja and either AN8 Ultra or A8N-SLI premium).

The scythe ninja can be imported from the UK via www.quietpc.com/uk
The cost would land at about 700SEK including shipping from what i've read. I've also sent a mail to scythe and got recomended to buy it from a store in belgium which don't even ship internationallty. I guess scythe aren't really that good at geography.. :roll:

HenryHonda

Post by HenryHonda » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:04 am

noac wrote:Hi Henry Honda, greetings from Sweden.

Please tell me how that system turned out. Im basically going to order the same parts. p180, asus a8n sli premium, GA 6600GT...

Im really interested in overall sound and how the GPU tunnel/duct aligned with the GPU, if it helps with the cooling.

Btw anyone know if one can import Scythe Ninja since i cant find it here in Sweden. Is it brand new? We have other Scythe products here but not the ninja.
:roll: Noac

Haven't got all the parts yet - so can't comment on cooling or sound.

However, have now got motherboard & Gigabyte 6600GT (passive cooling) temporarily installed & have tried routing some of the cables.

Observations:

1. Fan hole in VGA cooling duct only just level with edge of graphics card in Blue PCI-E slot (which is the one you've got to use if only 1 graphics card). The part of the heatsink on GPU side of the card will probably get reasonable airflow - but not sure about the other half of the heatsink on the back (top, when installed in case). Looks like a card in the second Black (SLI) slot would probably get better cooling.

2. I'm planning to start without the VGA duct (grille on rear panel sealed) and without upper HDD cage in place - tying cables out of the way and giving good, unobstructed direct airflow to VGA and CPU heatsinks. I have a gut feeling that this may be enough. Also plan to start without top-mounted fan (more likely to radiate noise) - sealing opening here also (how about a non-DIY solution to this Antec?!).

3. Not planning to overclock - so hope the temps will stay down.

4. I'm very wary of the sheer weight of the Scythe H/S! Planning on Thermalright XP-120 with Nexus fan (@ 7v to start) - but wary of reported problems with reliabilty of XP-120 mounting clips.

5. CPU location lines-up nicely almost with centres of rear & top fans.

6. Reasonably long 4-pin 12V ATX cable from Phantom will reach top socket on mobo - but only if fed across surface of mobo and under VGA card (PCI sound as well, when I get it!). Problem seems to be partially caused by cable trap door being down the centreline of case - would make sense if it was biased towards back (mobo) side. However, with mobo in place, have marked mobo tray behind with location of top side of board and 4-pin socket. If I carefully drill a hole big enough to get 4-pin plug through (will be edged with grommet), I can lead ATX cable out of PSU chamber and up behind mobo tray to emerge right where I want it!

7. Gigabyte 6600GT appears not that well put together. Heatsink on rear of card (suspended on heatpipe) arrived not parallel with edge of card and tilted down at back end of card (just 1mm from PCB surface). Daren't try to realign it - as might disturb thermal interface with GPU! (will put a thin strip of non-conductive material between to ensure no shorts!).

Will keep you posted on developments - would like to hear how others get on with this combo...

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:47 am

Will the Ninja even fit on the A8N-SLI premium? If anyone has any experience, please tell us!

D_Bat

Post by D_Bat » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:29 am

Will the xp-120 fit the Asus A8N-SLI?? Just checking as i am ordering one pretty soon.

noac

Post by noac » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:35 pm

HenryHonda9 wrote:
7. Gigabyte 6600GT appears not that well put together. Heatsink on rear of card (suspended on heatpipe) arrived not parallel with edge of card and tilted down at back end of card (just 1mm from PCB surface). Daren't try to realign it - as might disturb thermal interface with GPU! (will put a thin strip of non-conductive material between to ensure no shorts!).

Will keep you posted on developments - would like to hear how others get on with this combo...
Hmm, if it was badly put togheter why don't you just send it back? Not liking what im hearing about the 6600GT, it seems like 50% are badly put togheter.

If I were to buy another 6600GT and modify it with something like zalman cooling, can I do that with 2 cards and still run sli, im thinking spacewise? Is there passive coolings for graphic cards available? Blah, mind was set on GA 6600GT.

700 SEK for ninja is pretty steep for me, ill pass and go with either XP-120/90 or zalman 7000AlCu.
Last edited by noac on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:38 pm

The Xp120 costs about 5-600 SEK where it is available, and with shipping, you are easily up at the cost for the ninja. Ordering the closest thing to the ninja, the NCU-2005 would cost you as much as ordering the ninja from the UK. I've already placed my order so hopefully I'll get it in a week or so.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:57 pm

D_Bat wrote:Will the xp-120 fit the Asus A8N-SLI?? Just checking as i am ordering one pretty soon.

yup go onto the thermalright official site and they have a motherboard compatiblity chart.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:05 pm

Will the Ninja even fit on the A8N-SLI premium? If anyone has any experience, please tell us!
Absolutely! I've posted some comments about my system at here. The Ninja is much lighter than it looks (as described in the Ninja review on this site).

Jason
nomoon.org