De-coupled case fan/ filtered/ducted. New Photos.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

De-coupled case fan/ filtered/ducted. New Photos.

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 09, 2003 12:40 pm

Here's an easy project for anyone....a completely de-coupled case fan mount. The mounts are electrical boxes, available in many sizes, no cutting required, at any hardware store. That's an 80mm fan in the photos.

Find a piece of foam, cut it slightly larger than the box. Cut a hole in the center of the foam slightly smaller than the fan. Insert the fan in the foam, and stuff the the whole assy into the box.

These boxes can be mounted to the case using the little threaded tabs and supplied screws. (you'd drill two holes in the case) Or you could turn the box around and mount it using the two small slots.

Completely suspending your case fan in foam will definately cut down on the noise/vibrations. I think this is an easier and more effective solution than rubber grommets.....none of the mount screws actually touch the fan. The box cost less than $2. FWIW...the finished box in the pictures fits a Lanboy perfectly.

I hope this is a new idea.I've never seen it used anywhere....

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bluefront100 ... yahoo.com/
Last edited by Bluefront on Sun May 18, 2003 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri May 09, 2003 1:12 pm

Crap man, your like macguyver or something. That looks really cool.

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Fri May 09, 2003 1:27 pm

hehe, you beat me to it, I was trying to design something for HD's though :)

tibbar

nice

Post by tibbar » Fri May 09, 2003 3:34 pm

i like the idea!

i've tried using elastic to decouple fans (in the same way as HD's). works well, but it get's a bit messy with all the elastic in the case crossing over etc

might try your idea if i can be bothered!

Liquidated

wow

Post by Liquidated » Fri May 09, 2003 10:55 pm

that's so very low tech but really nice looking. they make boxes that fit 120's? lol

Cheers!
-Liq

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun May 11, 2003 3:16 pm

Heh.....I hope somebody tries this out, and what is "macguyver"? I suppose you could find a box like this for a 120mm fan, but I didn't see anything that big at HomeDepot.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun May 11, 2003 4:09 pm

You dont remember the show macguyver? You know the guy thats on stargate the series. He was this guy that would get himself in trouble or whatever, and then he would get a piece of duct tape, and screw a button, and a ball point pen and make a bomb or something out of it. That show was awesome!

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Sun May 11, 2003 5:56 pm

The show is still playing on TVLAND at 1 eastern time. Too bad I'm at school when its on. Its the best!

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Sun May 11, 2003 7:14 pm

Man, I'm going to feel old if he says he doesn't remember ... :?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun May 18, 2003 12:28 pm

Ok...here's a new invention. I'm sure someone will cash in on this. But it's so easy to make, cost less than $5 in parts, I don't see why anyone would buy it pre-made.

You can stack these electrical boxes using the little tabs....absolutely no cutting. This is what I did to the first box. In the lower box I added a filter, a cut-out piece of a high-performance furnace filter. The pleats are necessary to give enough surface area to prevent too much restriction. Even then, my temps went up 2-3C.....ok for me as this setup is running cool.

If you want, you can buy a top with a cut-out hole to attach a duct.....I'm not using it this way. I covered the two boxes with CompUSA acoustic foam...seals the cracks between the boxes and provides some quieting.
This new setup mounts the same way as one box...two screws through the back into the two little tabs.

To change the filter, my SFF computer hinges apart, the plastic side unsnaps, and I remove the two screws....easy. This setup quieted my computer to the point I'm now hearing the Maxtor only...damn.That computer in the pictures is running off this one intake fan only without any exhaust fan. The P/S is external.

Feel free to make your own.....just give me credit for the design. More pictures...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bluefront100 ... yahoo.com/