Need help cooling down Barton

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexb

Need help cooling down Barton

Post by alexb » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:11 pm

Hey guys,

Been having problem cooling down a Barton set at 2 GHz. After boot up, diode goes from 42 degrees to 58 degrees very fast, socket goes from 37 to 42 and stays there. When I go total load, it gets to 70 or so, but it doesn't crash. However, if I OPEN THE CASE, I get no problems. At load, it remains at around 50 degrees and sometimes less.

Here's my rig:

SLK-800U+Panaflo 80mm low - full speed
Exhaust: 80mm Nexus - full speed
Intake: 2*80mm OEM Lian-li fans - 3 speeds - highest makes only 1-2 degress diff

What is the weakest link. I believe my heatsink+fan is ok, as when I open the case the temps drop. Where's the problem? Do I need better exhaust? Another fan?

Thnx

alexb

Post by alexb » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Jeez, I figured one thing and reduced temp by 10 degrees!!!

DUST!

I was wondering why my temps are so high all of a sudden since when I built it, it used to be much better. So, opened up everything, vaccumed and use compressed gas on fans, heatsinks... temps dropped by 10!

I now idle at 45-48, load at 51-54... amazing how much dust can affect your cooling! However, I can still get 3-4 degrees better by opening the case. What's the weakest link in my setup now?

Thnx

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:30 pm

Its positive pressure. From what I've read, having more exhaust than intake makes for lower temperatures.

alexb

Post by alexb » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:06 pm

EvoFire wrote:Its positive pressure. From what I've read, having more exhaust than intake makes for lower temperatures.
ok, cool... I will try to add another fan. There's one fan on the top of the case that I disabled, it was loud. Gotta replace that with either Nexus or Panaflo and see what happens.

scara

Post by scara » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 am

alexb wrote:ok, cool... I will try to add another fan. There's one fan on the top of the case that I disabled, it was loud.
Before you do that, why not just disable the two front fans?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:02 am

Hi, it sounds like my case configuration is similar to yours. I found modding the case to add a second fan to the rear helpfull. I never tried using the blowhole as an exhaust but it may help. Full length rambling, pics etc here.
Seb