DFI Lanparty UT Crossfire RDX200 Motherboard

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

raczyk

Post by raczyk » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:34 pm

Was going to build a system using a A8N-SLI Premium board, but now this thing is about to come out. Any thoughs? I think it might be worth the wait, Im sure ATI video cards can smoke Nvidia. Just not sure about that chipset cooling. :)

CROSSFIRE vs SLI

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:24 am

Looks like a nice board.. :) The chipset is positioned so that it is easily swapped to a Zalman NB47J or something similar. Does the ATI chipset use separate NB/SB? Why else would there be a heatsink just below the NB cooler?

I think the layout looks better than the nF4 LanParty mobos, the voltage regulators are not as tight together but spread around the CPU, and theres more room between the 16x pci-x slots :)

224-pin ATX connector might be hard to fit if a very wide CPU heatsink is used though, at least if you try to install it after the cpu heatsink but i dont think thats a major problem. At first it looked like theres no room for GPU cooling above the slot, but looking at my zalman ZM80D-HP i think it should fit nicely as the cooler is not as wide as the card so there would be enough clearance for the memory to fit. The Schooner is out though, because theres no empty slot above the 16x slot.

So overall i think it loks like a nice board.. If the reviews shows it good, i might considering upgrading to this one from my lanparty nf4 and get a Crossifre card in addition to the x800xl. If i have understood correctly regular x800 cards will work with a Crossifire card right?

raczyk

Post by raczyk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:32 am

Not sure about the two chipsets. Where are these voltage regulators? Are they under the little heatsinks.

The 24 pin EATX connector could be easier to install using the new edition of xp-120 called the xp-120si. You can see from the profile that the new heatsink is taller.

As for compatibility you can use the existing x800 card along side one that is crossfire enabled and in the same class.

ATI CrossFire Preview
Last edited by raczyk on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:35 am

raczyk wrote:Not sure about the two chipsets. Where are these voltage regulators? Are they under the little heatsinks.
[/url][/url]
Yup :)

mattek

Crossfire

Post by mattek » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:07 am

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26228

Good read. Might be relevant for you depending on the system you are running.

/mattek

raczyk

Post by raczyk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:00 am

Thats a bummer, is that beacause the crossfire ATI cards only have DVI outputs or is it a limitation of the video cards themselves?

nici

Post by nici » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:11 pm

raczyk wrote:Thats a bummer, is that beacause the crossfire ATI cards only have DVI outputs or is it a limitation of the video cards themselves?
No idea, neither of those should be a limiting factor. But i dont see the problem with this. Even if you have a CRT monitor with lets say 85Hz refresh rate, ah f*ck it. I have the thought in my head but i cant describe it. too little sleep i guess. its 2AM and im off to bed now.

mattek

Post by mattek » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:38 am

It has to do with the chipset for out put ATI has selected. This output chip operates at 125Mhz which means it cant push more data than 60hz. The Nvidia one operates at 400Mhz. There are rumors however that the ATI chip is overclocked to 200Mhz which should yield more data throughput.

In light of this news my selection of 7800GTX looks like a good choice.

If I have understood this incorrectly, please correct me.

/mattek