Why No Yate Loons?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Why No Yate Loons?

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Answer me this.....Since Yate Loon fans have a good reputation both here, and many other forums, why are they so difficult to find/identify?

This is a large company that makes many different fans, mostly with other brand names. This makes it difficult to pick out a Yate Loon with some generic name. If you go to a big on-line retailer like NewEgg
and search the fan section for the name Yate Loon.....you come up empty, even though many of the fans may be made by Yate Loon.

Wouldn't you think Newegg could put some sort of "made by Yate Loon" ID on their fans known to be Yate Loons?

CompUSA does the same thing....some of their Mad Dog fans are Yate Loons, but you'd never know it.

I think it would benefit a retailer to inform their potential customer that a particular fan is really a Yate Loon under the label.

:?

For instance.....this laptop cooler actually has two quiet Yate Loon 92mm slim fans in it....you'd never know it from the description.

This powerful slot cooler fan is made by Yate Loon.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:32 pm

I don't see why they'd want to do that, they'd be building up yate loon's reputation, which would most likely result in yate loon distributing their fans on their own. Or at least they'd be hurting the sales of their other fans.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:40 pm

That's one possibility.....but you could always counter with they might be selling more of a particular no-name fan that was actually a Yate Loon. It could well prevent someone who wants a Yate Loon from going somewhere else to find that brand.....a fan they might actually have under a different name.

patord

Post by patord » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:22 am

Yate loon is the manufacturer. Usually they sell to places like ODMs, eg power supply companies, vs the retail channel. Or to companies that may rebadge then like Nexus.

Since they sell only in HUGE quantities, you'll likely never see them at a retailer like Newegg since Yateloon does not package them for retail distribution.

If you look at tekgems.com, it looks like they bought a lot of like 2500 or something a while back for the 120mm version. My last order with them they were down to like 1500.

Its not a matter of reputation of selling these things. Its all about business and economy of scale that it is not in their best interest to sell directly to the retail channels. In the grand scheme things, SPCR's willing to buy these things pales in comparsion to their channel partners.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:45 am

What you say is true but.....wouldn't it benefit an end retailer to inform the customer that the 80mm fan known as "Speed-wizz" is actually a Yate Loon? Would there be some agreement to avoid identifying the real fan maker?

If you buy a Chevy with a Toyota engine (some Novas were really Toyotas), it wasn't something that was hidden.....they just called it a Chevy Nova. But the fact it was really a Toyota was well-known.

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Well first of all, most people who buy aftermarket fans in retail stores now tend to buy the UV-neon stuff. I went into an area chain looking for a branded fan that was using the Yate Loon frame and was said around here to be extremely quiet--but they did not stock any plain black 120mm fans at all. And they only had one each of the black fans in 80mm and 60mm. They had several different brands and colors of the neon stuff in 60 and 80mm, and one brand in 120mm in about five different colors. The fellow who walked up and tried to wait on me admitted he did not know which brand they had that was the quietest, it was very rarely a question that shoppers would even ask.
------
Secondly, is a double-edged reason:
.....if Joe's Silent Express sells Yate Loons with "Joe's Silent Flow" decals on them instead and tacks on a premium, Joe has no interest in telling you that the fan he sells is a version of a product that's cheaper elsewhere, just with a sticker and a price markup.
.....and conversely, the factory may not want the hassle of dealing with distribution at all. The actual "Yate Loon" branded fans may be in short supply just because they are only be filler runs done in-between orders for other brand-names. Businesses generally prefer a few large-volume customers to a whole bunch of small ones, just because for them managing the accounts is easier. If you haven't noticed, Intel and AMD don't sell CPU's off their doorstep either.
~~~~

Talonz

Post by Talonz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am

http://www.pctekonline.com/ has 80mm and 120mm versions of the yate loons :D

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 am

" If you haven't noticed, Intel and AMD don't sell CPU's off their doorstep either." Exactly.....but when you buy a boxed CPU, It doesn't say "Uncle Pat's Whiz Chip"on the outside.

You don't have to guess what chip you're buying.....unlike the crap shoot when you buy most boxed fans.

JonV

Post by JonV » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Does it really matter if they are identified as Yate Loons though? If company X decided to start offering rebadged YL 120mm's, people could just look for company X's orange 120mm fans and be sure to get a good quiet fan. If YL doesn't want to sell their own fans, someone else will. That's what Nexus did in Europe, and given their success I'd be surprised if someone didn't do the same in the US soon.

Over here I can just walk into my local computer store and pick a Nexus off the shelf any day, and if I ask the guy behind the desk for a big quiet fan that's the one he'll point me to. It actually took me about a month of lurking around here before I even knew a Nexus 120mm and a Yate Loon 120mm was the same thing.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:16 pm

JonV wrote:Does it really matter if they are identified as Yate Loons though? If company X decided to start offering rebadged YL 120mm's, people could just look for company X's orange 120mm fans and be sure to get a good quiet fan. If YL doesn't want to sell their own fans, someone else will. That's what Nexus did in Europe, and given their success I'd be surprised if someone didn't do the same in the US soon.
Yes, it does matter. Consider a parrallel with CD's/DVD's, companies that sell blank media like Sony, Fujitsu and Maxell sold excellent discs made by Taiyo Yuden or mitsubishi chemicals or made almost as good ones themselves; then most of them switched to horrible discs made by companies like CMC magnetics. What if this happened with fans, how would you feel if you ordered a large number of fans which you though were yate loons, and instead got cheap everflow fans. Wait a minute, thermaltake already did that, except starting with panaflos.

hmronin

Post by hmronin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:30 pm

mathias wrote:
JonV wrote:Does it really matter if they are identified as Yate Loons though? If company X decided to start offering rebadged YL 120mm's, people could just look for company X's orange 120mm fans and be sure to get a good quiet fan. If YL doesn't want to sell their own fans, someone else will. That's what Nexus did in Europe, and given their success I'd be surprised if someone didn't do the same in the US soon.
Yes, it does matter. Consider a parrallel with CD's/DVD's, companies that sell blank media like Sony, Fujitsu and Maxell sold excellent discs made by Taiyo Yuden or mitsubishi chemicals or made almost as good ones themselves; then most of them switched to horrible discs made by companies like CMC magnetics. What if this happened with fans, how would you feel if you ordered a large number of fans which you though were yate loons, and instead got cheap everflow fans. Wait a minute, thermaltake already did that, except starting with panaflos.
To add to the above comment, I believe that Nexus fans sell at a premium, as compared to Yate Loons, as you are paying for "branding" and middleman costs. Also, I believe Nexus adds a resistor to slow down the stock Yate Loon, for quieter operation, which also happens to affect reliable startup at < 7v.

However, the Nexus fans are very nice, and I use them myself, if only because I have not found a source yet for Yate Loons... :wink:

hawk

yate loon fans

Post by hawk » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:56 am

I just bought 5 yate loon d12sl-12 fans from tekgems. $5.00 each, and they got here in just a few days. Haven't tested them out yet, and not sure what the difference is from the other d12s?-12 models (these are orange), but the price was good.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:01 pm

JonV wrote: To add to the above comment, I believe that Nexus fans sell at a premium, as compared to Yate Loons, as you are paying for "branding" and middleman costs. Also, I believe Nexus adds a resistor to slow down the stock Yate Loon, for quieter operation, which also happens to affect reliable startup at < 7v.

However, the Nexus fans are very nice, and I use them myself, if only because I have not found a source yet for Yate Loons... :wink:

Does that apply to all the Nexus or just the 120mm? Could the resistor be removed?

I'd like to get more rpms from my Nexus 80 and 92mm...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:36 pm

Poodle.....Your questions and confusion about Yate Loons, are what this thread is about.

Apparently.... Those "Nexus" branded orange 120mm fans, are made by Yate Loon. That much is known. The story goes that they are made to a special specification, with an internal resistor (not removable easily, or at all), that limits the fan to about 1000rpms at 12v. This also makes them sometimes not start at 5V.

The real orange Yate Loon, with a Yate Loon label, runs about 1300rpms at 12V.....and starts at 5V (mine do anyway).

To confuse things even further, there is a blue 120mm Yate Loon (with lites), that carries the same model # as the orange one, but this one tops about 1600rpms. It has a different body from the orange one, but sounds the same at the same rpm. I've seen this one with several brand names.

Confusing situation for sure. And it is not known if the 92 and 80mm Nexus fans are Yate Loons......probably are not.

I certainly like to know what I am buying, when I plunk down sometimes $20 for a fan. :x

hawk

Post by hawk » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:28 pm

I would like to know who makes the Nexus 92mm and 80mm fans as well. I think someone hit the nail on the head above though-- Nexus (and other re-branders) obviously don't want people to know this. And the large manufacturers (like Yate Loon) probably don't want to make their customers (e.g. Nexus) mad.

If many more people knew about Yate Loon and wanted to buy Yate Loon fans, then they would probably be interested in selling their fans in the consumer-retail market. But right now if you put a Yate Loon next to the Vantec Stealth fans at Fry's/CompUSA/etc., I bet most people would buy the Vantec. Before I found this website I had never heard of Yate Loon. And I had, unfortunately, bought an 80mm Vantec Stealth fan. I assumed that my stock case fan must be pretty good, b/c it sounded very similar. (that was one loud computer)

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Because manufacturers/suppliers can not and will not supply both the retailers and the direct consumers. They are going to upset both parties and lose both sales. You do not want to be competiting with the people you are selling to. That is a relatively common mistake for new businesses. Trying to appease both markets, and almost always results in a failed business.

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:13 pm

So, are YL best fans noise wise? Is there any other fan with equal or lower noise with a better airflow?

Here in spain is IMPOSSIBLE to get them, I'm pretty sure here in spain there wont be more than 10YL fans apart from mines. I ordered them to Silencio_777 (quite cheap I must say),

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:55 am

I'm hopeful a USA source pops up that has the Yate Loon 140mm fans. It seems Silenco in Germany carrys it-but I'm unable to read German so I don't yet know the price in $US,with shipping. I have a German friend and likely could get help,but a basic newegg order would be less hassle. Most major retailers have no 140 fans,YL or other. Odd,as a 140 at 7v would probably run at a dead quiet 600 rpm yet move some air :roll:

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:04 am

ronrem wrote:I'm hopeful a USA source pops up that has the Yate Loon 140mm fans. It seems Silenco in Germany carrys it-but I'm unable to read German so I don't yet know the price in $US,with shipping. I have a German friend and likely could get help,but a basic newegg order would be less hassle. Most major retailers have no 140 fans,YL or other. Odd,as a 140 at 7v would probably run at a dead quiet 600 rpm yet move some air :roll:

Just ask him directly (in english) as I did. He even will do special SCPR discount :D

DraGoNsLaYeR

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:20 pm

So would you recommend the orange Yate Loon over the orange Nexus?

Big Fat Duck

Post by Big Fat Duck » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:13 pm

i have 3 black yate loons from jab-tech, they are the exact same D12SL-12. they have a 3 pin connector with rpm monitoring, along with an extension wired in that goes to 2 molex 4 pin connectors, one is male one is female

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:49 am

That's another place to be careful......the Yate Loon model # D12SL-12. They seem to use that # on different fans. I have some orange D12SL-12 fans that run about 1350rpms. And I have a blue LED D12SL-12 that runs about 1600rpms. Obviously two different fans with the same model number. Hard to figure.....so be careful when you buy a Yate Loon.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 am

someone mentioned earlier that in europe he can goto his local pc shop and ask for a quiet fan and is pointed to a nexus 120mm fan.

i wish this were true in the US. i was in california to visit my mom, and was lookin for some 80mm nexus fans to quiet down her pc, at local retail stores. i dont think they exist here yet. i tried major retail chains like best buy, compusa, circuitcity. and also tried the local computer stores also. none had ANY low noise fan from any company ive ever heard of (ie: papst, panaflo, nexus, yateloon etc). most of the local shops ONLY carried double ball bearing fans. the larger retail stores were a little better, but were mostly populated by lots of colorfull LED fans and the like.

i thought before i went shopping that it would be really easy to find a small copper based cpu heatsink with a low noise 80mm fan on it. boy was i wrong. i can see now why so many people new to computers have such crappy products in their pc's.

EDIT:

just fyi, heres a listing of all yate-loon 120x25mm fans with model numbers and specifications. Yate Loon 120x25mm fans