Questions about CSP-MAG noise

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kingey

Questions about CSP-MAG noise

Post by Kingey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:15 pm

I've been putting my first water cooled system together for the past few days, and I have to say I'm greatly disappointed by the noise of my CSP-MAGs. The one I have running on my GPU loop produces a mid-to-high-pitched hum noticable over my three 120mm Nexus fans - quiet, but nowhere near silent or even inaudible. This pump, although somewhat disappointing, isn't the problem. The MAG I have on my CPU loop seems to produce less of a hum, but emits a loud, low rumble. It almost sounds as though the impeller is hitting something inside the pump's casing several times each second. The weirdest thing is, however, that the pump did not make this noise until after I was done with my 24-hour leak test. However, I can't imagine what would have become lodged inside the pump. I'm running a loop filled with 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze. The problem isn't the metal worm-drive clamps I'm using - I've already tried running the pump without them and it sounds the same. Both pumps are suspended by the tubing connected to them, not touching the case or any other component. I'm running these pumps in parallel, each with their own radiator and water block but sharing a single res.

So, my two questions:
1. Is it normal for the GPU pump to make this hum?
2. What's going on with my CPU pump?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a recording of the noise the CPU pump is making. I wasn't able to capture the noise of the GPU pump - my microphone isn't all that great. If you can't hear it, try turning up your volume a bit. Also, if the link is down or too slow, please refer me to a better .wav upload site.

Linky to CPU pump

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:14 am

My MAG should be comming soon and I hope that I won't have problems with it. From what I've heard it should be really silent. Your MAGs might have been damaged during shipping. You can talk with Dave (the C-Systems representative) from forums.procooling.com. He was rather eager to get his hands on noisy MAGs to see what has happened to them. Dave did mention in one thread that a very small number of users mentioned a rumble noise that dissapeared after a while and never came back.

DougG

Post by DougG » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:48 am

Sounds like something is hitting the impeller.

Had my MAG 6+ months now, very quite.

I also read Dave on Proforums trying to get his hands on one, but I suspect yours is a different noise then others suggest.

Did you open it up and look if anything is in there?

Kingey

Post by Kingey » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:20 am

Not yet. I'll be out of town 'til Monday, but as soon as I get home I'll crack it open and find the culprit.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:05 pm

Sounds strange. I got lucky and got a quiet MAG, but I muffled it anyway to make it virtually silent. But I hear some people are not so lucky, and you are one of them. Definately get it replaced. I would also recommend 20% antifreeze/coolant and 80% water, because it makes it thicker and quieter.

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:44 pm

I finally had some time to install the new WC system with the MAG. My MAG also makes a rather loud rattling noise. :(

e v o

Post by e v o » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:10 pm

my mag too is noisy. When i opened it up and moved the impeller around, i found it was a bit loose, which seems to explain the noise. I'm trying the 1048 next.

Ben

DougG

Post by DougG » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:21 pm

Opened my up today as I am adding a GPU card and the impeller is NOT loose.

Nor is my second MAG pump (from Danger Den this time)

I can guess your pump and maybe Scop's are damaged :(

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Don't know about you, but my Csp MAG is really REALLY quiet.

mdearth

Post by mdearth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:05 pm

I just got my DD Mag and it’s horrible. Moves water just fine but is way too loud.

I first tested it by running a simple 3/8 loop to and from a reservoir. It was somewhat loud, best when isolated by foam. After a 24 hour test run the pump was louder and had a slight internal scraping sound. It also picked up a 3-4 second gear stripping noise every 30-60 seconds. It’s a LOUD gear stripping noise, not like a simple vibration or anything.

So I thought, well maybe it needs more head/back pressure; So I ran the line through a 3/8 to 1/4 tube reducer, through 4ft of 1/4 line, then back to the reservoir and left it to run for 24 hours. Its general noise got louder and that stripping noise got worse. It also started making the stripping noise every start and stop.

I opened it up with just the 4 visible screws. The impeller has a big circle magnet attached; it is supposed to be round but instead is slightly oval shaped. When spun by finger you can see it warble. It’s hard to tell but looks like the impeller can hit the sides. I have no idea where the stripping noise is coming from. There was some white substance on the impellers axle, have no idea what or why.

The pumps general noise is too loud for my quiet case and the gear stripping noise is ridiculous. Its not just a little vibration noise, the stripping sound is LOUD like fingernails on chalkboard loud! It’s going back to Danger Den on Monday. Am thinking I will get the 12V DD-D5.

Talonz

Post by Talonz » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:11 pm

I have the same problem with my CSP-MAG.

Here's what's strange:

The sound is intermittent. Sometimes it will be silent, like it should be, but other times, it will make that scraping, or ticking sound. It's fast, high pitched and annoying. I had my computer off last night, and when I turned it on, the sound wasn't there. Just last night, the sound was there. 30 minutes after I turned it on today, the sound came back. Since people have been reporting that the sound goes away after a while, I will let it be for now. I might have to tear mine apart, some have reported that reassembling the impeller fixes the noise issue.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Mine is extremely quiet. Try putting some foam on the side that contacts the case, and then use some elastic (sewing kind) to hold it on. It should reduce vibrations significantly.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:57 pm

yeah some are very quiet and some are very loud. just get them replaced. some of the better samples are noticibly quieter than a 1048 even!

DougG

Post by DougG » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:20 am

From what I read on the other forum the MAG pump can be damaged in shipping.

Not sure if DD guys have a whole box damaged or what, but both of my pumps are OK.

I see on same forum Talonz pump is working quite now as well.

:D

mdearth

Post by mdearth » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:00 am

I doubt very much that all my MAG noise was from shipping damage. Disassembling and reassembling did nothing to improve the noise. The DD-D5 I replaced it with for only $25 more is considerbly more powerful and at its highest setting is much quieter then the MAGs general noise. However the DD-D5 does put out a lot of vibration and definely needs to be isolated from the case. The included Neoprene pad is not enough to isolate all vibration, but unless your a silence freak like me, the pad should be sufficient for most people.